Shurflo Pump?

Jcrabtree
Jcrabtree Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭✭
Interested in using this for my off grid cabin - does anyone know which would be best? have 1500gal tank that we use for rainwater harvesting - need decent pressure to the cabin / garden

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Shurflo Pump?

So no need for lift, just pressurizing lines? What power do you have available? They make 12 VDC, 24 VDC, and 120 VAC models. The basic 12 Volt is a little over $100.
  • Jcrabtree

just need pressure - tank is little above the cabin - still debating on 12-24v system
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Actually, most of the shurflos are good pumps in my experience

I would consider this one for full time:

http://legacy.shurflo.com/pages/RV/rv_categories/potable_water/extreme.html

tony
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

Have one running for 5 years now to a header tank about 10 meters head . Hasn't missed a beat.
    I'm on 1 2volts but would definitely go for 24 if starting again.
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • Jcrabtree

Thanks for the information, last ? How to add it to 24v system if I decide to go that route
  • Cariboocoot
    Jcrabtree wrote: »
    Thanks for the information, last ? How to add it to 24v system if I decide to go that route

:confused: 24 Volts worth of battery and a charging system to match?
    Sorry, but not knowing what you've got now or how much the pump will be used it's hard to be specific. Could you elaborate?
  • Jcrabtree

nothing yet - still up for debate 12v - 24v system wanted to start off small with rogue charge controller available in June - 4 T105re batteries - panels still up for debate - as for watts/amp - per day still in the works.
  • Cariboocoot

Just as a sample based on four 225 Amp hour 6 Volt batteries:

112 Amp hours (50% DOD) @ 24 Volts = 2688 Watt hours power potential
    22.5 Amps @ 28.8 Volts charging = 648 Watts, less typical 77% derating = 842 Watt array
    Quick AC potential estimate: 1684 Watt hours per day.

Could be better, could be worse.

The ol' 12 vs. 24 question still comes down to what you expect to have in sustained loads: 1 kW or less, 12 Volts will do. Over that and 24 becomes attractive.

Were it not for the pumps needed at my locale I would have stuck with 12 Volts - and a much smaller inverter. Skip the electric 'frige too, and I could have used the Morningstar 300. Although that didn't exist at the time. :roll:
  • monoloco
    monoloco Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭

I highly recommend the variable speed DC pumps for domestic water. They don't cycle on and off when you barely crack open a faucet, just run slower. I'm using the Jabsco version, the only problem that I've found with it is that sometimes the over voltage protection in it will shut it down for 5 or 10 minutes right before my batteries go to float.(any suggestions?) It works well with the demand heater, the heater doesn't shut off if someone opens a faucet somewhere else.
  • Cariboocoot
    monoloco wrote: »
    I highly recommend the variable speed DC pumps for domestic water. They don't cycle on and off when you barely crack open a faucet, just run slower. I'm using the Jabsco version, the only problem that I've found with it is that sometimes the over voltage protection in it will shut it down for 5 or 10 minutes right before my batteries go to float.(any suggestions?) It works well with the demand heater, the heater doesn't shut off if someone opens a faucet somewhere else.

Doesn't like the Absorb Voltage level? How would it respond to a bit of resistance in the line? Just enough to knock out half a Volt or so. Perhaps an appropriate diode?
  • monoloco
    monoloco Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Doesn't like the Absorb Voltage level? How would it respond to a bit of resistance in the line? Just enough to knock out half a Volt or so. Perhaps an appropriate diode?
    How would I find out more about that? My batteries never go below 25 volts so a volt off wouldn't make much difference. Would a diode cause a decrease in amperage also?
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

Shurflo's are diaphram pumps and works well in my experience. They do put a pulsation into the water however which you'll probably feel/hear throughout your pressurized lines.
  • Cariboocoot
    monoloco wrote: »
    How would I find out more about that? My batteries never go below 25 volts so a volt off wouldn't make much difference. Would a diode cause a decrease in amperage also?

Not an engineer so I'm working from what others have posted.
    Putting a diode in line should result in about 0.6 Volt drop, which might be enough to resolve the over-Voltage issue. Don't know the specs on your pump either; but getting the available Voltage to match limit with the pump could be the cause. You could check the Voltage at the pump just before Float and see what it gets up to. Could be the current draw of the causes a momentary Voltage spike when the controller switches from Absorb to Float.

You'd need one rated to handle at least the current of the pump.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

As Cariboocoot/Marc says, you can get a large diode (mounted to an insulated heat sink) and drop between 0.2 volts to 0.7-1.0 volts or so per diode.

Schottky type diodes are closer to 0.2 volt drop. And "regular" power diodes are closer to 0.7 to 1.0 volt drop.

Remember, if you run, for example 5 amps through a 1 volt drop diode, you will have to heat sink it:
    • Power = Current * Voltage = 5 amps * 1.0 volt drop = 5 watts of heat
    And the metal diode body will be at ~29 volts (or whatever your bank runs out)--so the diode and/or heat sink need to be protected against short circuits to ground.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    icarus wrote: »
    Actually, most of the shurflos are good pumps in my experience

I would consider this one for full time:

http://legacy.shurflo.com/pages/RV/rv_categories/potable_water/extreme.html

tony

I agree icarus. My brother uses shurflo pumps on a regular basis. He hasn't used one that he hasn't liked. I don't really know much about them personally. I have never used them.
  • bobdog
    bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭

I used a 12 volt in my rv prior to the cabin, and without a hitch. The diaphragm nature does create a pulsation in the water lines, but it is no biggie. They do have a pressure tank that is supposed to eliminate the pulse and the turn on-turn off cycling when someone opens a faucet. I plan on putting a 120 volt in the cabin and have faith it will work as well as the 12 volt did.