160 out runner motor used as a 3 phase generator

peskeybobcat
peskeybobcat Registered Users Posts: 7
Has anyone looked at using the 160 out runner motor used as a 3 phase generator??

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: 160 out runner motor used as a 3 phase generator

I alwsys wonder about using motors as generators, and the loading on the bearings, since loads end up being 2x in gen use, as motor use.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• peskeybobcat
    mike90045 wrote: »
    I alwsys wonder about using motors as generators, and the loading on the bearings, since loads end up being 2x in gen use, as motor use.

I was thinking of something down the line off a V.A.W.T where the bearings would not be used to hold all the fan Waite. But what I don't no is what kind if voltage it would put off. I have some small out runner motors I am thinking of hooking up to the meter and see what kind of voltage it will Produces . I no that a small DC motor with brushes will produce 11.75V run off my drill motor..
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

As Mike already said about bearing wear is relavent. any motor that is going to have a large set of blades and be used as wind generator if going to have far more bearing load than if used as a motor
  • peskeybobcat

Well gentleman there is a thing called gears,belts chains and pulleys the motor would not have to take the lode from fins or turbans.. It is dun all the time in the modeling world with reduction gears..
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Bigger issue may be the fact you may have to spin it at 6,000+ RPM to get full power out of it (assuming similar to a 2 stroke model aircraft engine in performance).

For the most part, the gear box / pulley system / chain setup would be terribly inefficient for a wind turbine--I would guess.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Well gentleman there is a thing called gears,belts chains and pulleys the motor would not have to take the lode from fins or turbans.. It is dun all the time in the modeling world with reduction gears..

All of which use up mechanical power and reduce the potential for electrical output. efficiency on wind turbines is pretty bad to begin with (especially VAWT); adding more mechanism will simply reduce output. Many of the commercial units, btw, fail due to insufficient bearing capacity.

Believe me; this stuff is a lot more complex than all the internet hype websites would have you believe.
    For experimentation purposes, it doesn't matter. You just have to accept the fact the unit is going to fail at some point in the not-to-distant future. :roll:
  • peskeybobcat

Very good but the song still remains the same Has anyone looked at using the 160 out runner motor used as a generator??
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

The song remains the same. correct.
    You are going to find the reason nobody is using it or similar as a generator because its a waste of time ,money and effort.
    If you use any pulleys,chains,gears on a small wind generator the losses are very high. in most cases the blades will never start moving unless in a typhoon.

Fact.. small wind generators need a lot of wind to get them to produce any useful power.
  • peskeybobcat
    john p wrote: »
    The song remains the same. correct.
    You are going to find the reason nobody is using it or similar as a generator because its a waste of time ,money and effort.
    If you use any pulleys,chains,gears on a small wind generator the losses are very high. in most cases the blades will never start moving unless in a typhoon.

Fact.. small wind generators need a lot of wind to get them to produce any useful power.

Okee Dokee
    Thank you