Morningstar RM-1 remote panel

cptdondo
cptdondo Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
I am trying to install the RM-1 panel remotely. I have a shielded 2-pair cable available that I'd like to use. Since it's shielded, I could run 4 signal wires on the two pair + ground on the shield.

The RM-1 comes with a 6 conductor cable. The manual says: "If needed, the cable may be extended or replaced with regular phone cable. The phone cable must have at least 4 conductors, although 6-conductor cable is recommended".

But it does not give a pinout. RJ 11 typically runs 2 pair on the four center pins...

Anyone have any ideas? I tried contacting Morningstar support, but no answer at all to 3 emails....

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Morningstar RM-1 remote panel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6P2C#6P2C

Technically, the 4 wire is 6P4C RJ14 connectors (six position, four conductor)

Its straight through, but why bother making a cable, there is zero need for a shielded cable for the RM1, just about anywhere you can get a 25ft 4 or 6 conductor cable for 2-3 bucks ( Lowes, Home Depot , Walmart, CVS, Walgreen )
  • cptdondo
    cptdondo Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

The installation is in an RV. Last time I ran wiring, I ran 2 dry runs of 4 conductor shielded along with some #8 and a few other things. Now I have to run the panel meter wiring. Running new cable through the RV is an all day job that requires removal of paneling, headliner, cabinets, and having lots of luck with fish tape. If I can use the cable I have, I can save myself at least 8 hours of work if not 12.

So I can always try regular 4 conductor phone patch cable; if it works use the 4 inside pins.

Update: 4 conductor phone patch cable works fine. So I'll try that. It it fails, there's always the other dry cable....
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    cptdondo wrote: »

So I can always try regular 4 conductor phone patch cable; if it works use the 4 inside pins.
    Update: 4 conductor phone patch cable works fine. So I'll try that. It it fails, there's always the other dry cable....

I've actually used two runs if 4 conductor phone cable and used just 6 of the wires. It works perfectly for me. and by the way, the run from my controller to the remote meter, is over 120 feet, mostly underground.