So THAT's why they do a wind load analysis!

jcgee88
jcgee88 Solar Expert Posts: 154 ✭✭
The EF4 tornado that ripped through Lambert Airport in St Louis on
Friday missed my house by .9 miles. We were subjected to dime
size hail, heavy winds, and torrential rains, all of which started and
finished within about 10 minutes. The sound of the wind was
incredible, almost like a combination of a high pitched siren and a
train. I sense it would have sounded like the more classical
description of a freight train had it been closer (no thanks!).
There's a large oak tree in back of my house, and the whole
thing was shaking and shuddering.

I admit that I wasn't too concerned about my solar panels
while we were hiding in the basement. But after the storm
passed, I started to wonder, especially about the string that
is up-tilted. I have to tip my hat to my installer and to Unirac
because everything came through unharmed.

John

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: So THAT's why they do a wind load analysis!

Code Approved Plans = reasonable action
    Sturctural Inspection = Homeowner safety.
    Making it through a windstorm - priceless.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

glad to hear you're all alright. i know the feeling you had as i've had a near miss in the past and one this year was a semi-near miss as its funnel formed just after the supercell passed over me. i got 1 inch hail from it and some damaged screens. you never tend to think of the pvs while that is heading for you as you quest for sheltering yourself, but is always an afterthought as you wonder if they fared well.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcgee88 wrote: »
    The EF4 tornado that ripped through Lambert Airport in St Louis on....

Doubt anything will last through a direct hit, I'm south of Fulton, MO, we had golfball sized hail, but not nearly as windy as the 60+mph straight line winds of a couple weeks ago, they flipped over a couple sheds and one camper (down the road outside of our park)

Panels made it through both, fine.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's encouraging to know that panels really do stand up to golf ball size hail. I guess it also helps when it's not solid ice chunks, but sometimes slushy hail too.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I should have mentioned that it was somewhat slushy hail. Only nickel size where I was working only a mile away, but several reports of golf ball size in the park/subdivision.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Paul54
    Paul54 Registered Users Posts: 18

Last week we had tornadoes move through our area in central NC. 28 of them according to the National weather Service. I was out of town at the time, but I had been working on two new adjustable mount systems that were sitting on the ground not anchored. One had 4 panels on it the other had 3. Not being anchored they were both very good wings. Watching the news reports I assumed I had lost my panels, and possibly my house. When I got home later that day all was well. One of the racks had moved a few feet from where I left it, but no harm was done. There was some debris in my yard, mostly fiberglass insulation, but the oddest thing I found was a small spoon with Central Carolina Hospital engraved on it. That hospital is about 45 miles from my house.