Sanyo Mini-Split AC

mjp24coho
mjp24coho Solar Expert Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
I have been reading several of the threads here about the Sanyo Mini-Split AC units. I must admit - the unit sounds very appealing. I'm thinking of adding this unit into the solar system I'm designing for my off-grid cabin. However, after reading all the posts, I'm still a bit confused as to actual capacity of these units. I have a 2000 sq foot cabin, and am looking at the 9000 BTU window unit. I would prefer to run it on low (300W), to reduce draw on the inverter. How well would this unit cool the 2000 sq ft cabin on this setting, running for maybe 8 hrs per day (switched to be shut off other than the 8 hrs)? Would I need two units (one upstairs, one downstairs)? Typical summer temperatures are 85-95 degrees, but it quickly cools off at night.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Sanyo Mini-Split AC

For the price, I would be tempted to buy or borrow a basic "cheap" window A/C unit and try it in your place on a generator for a day or two.

The design of your building (insulation, shading, windows, etc.) are so critical to sizing of an AC system--I am not sure that we could give you more accurate information (but I live in a region where we don't need/have A/C--So I am not really the right person either).

A 2,000 square foot cabin is pretty large and a simple window A/C unit may be simply too small. Although, if the building is well sealed, it should help to reduce humidity (if that is an issue in your region).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow so much to consider, Ambient tempuratures, Average day and night time, How much insulation, How well sealed, even the location of the outside unit. To my knowledge there is no window unit, perhaps you could provide a link. Being split units helps them be so effiecent.

But I'd say No chance... perhaps if you live pretty far north, where temps fall off well at night, with a well insulated place, good insulation here starts at R20 in the walls, there might be a chance.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit

Bill, dang your quick!

Sorry I missed your 10,000th post, was there a party?

Thanks for all the hard work!

-Whit
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit

There's a Sizing Air Conditioners Work Sheet here.

Please note the preface on rooms.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

I, too, am intriqued with the Mini-Split A/C concept, BUT I have no direct experience with the. Will probably add a two or three zone unit this summer at a new cabin being built now.

As Bill noted, a small window A/C would be an inexpensive experiment. A 6000 BTU window unit is what I now use for the bedroom, and it works well, but even for my 550 Sq Ft cabin it is not really quite adequate to cool the entire space (with its vaulted ceilings).

Just to make sure that you found the meatiest thread (IMO), be certain that you have seen this:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=5104&highlight=Mini-Split

It would seem to me, that you would need a two zone unit, at the minimum.

In my situation, I am considering starting with an evaporative cooler (Swamp), as it can bring in cool outside air at night. If your humidity is fairly low, a Swamp cooler should use quite a lot less power than even the Mini-Split, and might be able to cool your entire space.

You might want to study company's site site noted in the above link:

Or engaging this company or another, is the exact configurtion of your cabin. And listen to their advice.

Dave Sparks, the Author of the above thread is often here, and can give you some real hands-on advice.

Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • mjp24coho
    mjp24coho Solar Expert Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the input - this is all very helpful. I was originally contemplating a solar-panel fed evaporative cooler (Solar Chill - http://www.southwest-solar.com/door). Maybe that will be the better route to go. I like that it is fed directly from the solar panels, as I will only need it to operate for the hottest hours of the day when the sun is out. The cabin is located in Southern Utah - humidity isn't a real issue, and it's only needed for July and August. The cabin is a weekend retreat every 2-3 weeks.

Anyone have experience with these swamp coolers? I was contemplating doing a roof mount, possibly with the 42" version, or two of the smaller 30" coolers mounted in the walls.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

mjp,

I have NO experience with these evap coolers, but, one advantage of a swamp cooler is its ability to bring in cool outside air at night. If the cooler is power only by solar, then this advantage is lost if there is no sun to run the cooler.

I've considered that at night one might be able to shut off the pump that supplies water to the pads, and just rely on the cool outside air to do the job.

YMMV and so on, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭

As the others have said - whether or not the mini-split will work will depend on environmental factors (primarily outside temp, how well insulated the cabin is and desired inside temp).

The mini-split will be the most efficient (aside from evaporative cooling if it's dry enough) - the question will simply be how many BTU you need to get the comfort level you are looking for.

The requirements can be anywhere from 10000 BTU per 500 sq/ft or as little as 2500 BTU per 500 sq/ft depending on those environmental factors (or even wider spread in extreme cases!).
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

For over two decades we cooled with swamp coolers: a bigger one at one end of our 1000sq mobilehome and a smaller one at the other end.

After a particularly hot and humid spring, DW insisted I install "real A/C". I was preparing to buy a window shaker and planning to cut a hole in one wall to install it.

Then Dave's thread appeared. I bought and installed a Sanyo 1-ton mini-split.

Since we are totally off-grid, we had never let the swamp coolers run all day when we were at work. We'd come home to a VERY hot house. Then after an hour, it'd be 10 degrees cooler and a lot more humid inside.

Now the Sanyo is programmed to start about 10am and when we get home, the house is about 75 even tho it's over 100 outside. And NO humidity, which feels cooler yet.

I don't have specific Kill-a-watt readings. But I have absolutely NO doubt that this mini-split is using LESS power to keep the house cool versus the power that the swamp coolers used attempting to cool-down a warm house later in the day. IIRC it's about 750 watts constant (only one swamp cooler running ) vs 300 or less watts for the Sanyo.

The lack of noise has been a side benefit and much better than any window unit I could've found. Much of the time, other than seeing that the 'flap' is open, we can't even hear the Sanyo running.

Dry and cool air has been another benefit.

Since learning about these mini-split units, I notice them in every outdoor shot shown on the news from "developing countries". The rest of the world has been using them for many years and now WE are discovering them.

For your 2000sf cabin, your thought about one unit upstairs and one downstairs sounds to me like an excellent plan. I'd expect that you'll only use one of them most of the time.

Phil
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

I put a 3 ton one of these with 3 room units in my new building
    http://www.friedrich.com/products/commercial/ductless-split-systems

It has many of the features of the Sanyo and I have fell in love with it so far in both the heating and cooling mode. Down here in the desert where outside temps can climb to 120F it probably is still over kill, I ran it on a couple of 95F + days in quiet mode and it barely was load on my overall solar system. A full bore test of the unit on high was less then 2400 watts. This will be my first full summer season with the unit and I have a TED to watch the usage but I suspect cooling only one room in the building the load will be minimal.. This is a good split system at a fair price.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

The most efficient is the Fujitsu 9000 btu unit, so for the best efficiency you may want to get 2 of them instead of one muti-room unit.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    techntrek wrote: »
    The most efficient is the Fujitsu 9000 btu unit, so for the best efficiency you may want to get 2 of them instead of one muti-room unit.

The fujitsu is 240vac and from what i have been told not friendly warranty wise unless pro installed. I also do not know of anyone who has reported on the ergonomics of using one offgrid. I would like to hear about these in a review!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

This might be a bit off topic, but has anyone seen an "inverter" style mini-split like the Sanyo in 115V? It appears from my research to be the only 115V inverter unit. Other small mini-splits are 115V normal compressor w/ different fan speeds.

TBR
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    This might be a bit off topic, but has anyone seen an "inverter" style mini-split like the Sanyo in 115V? It appears from my research to be the only 115V inverter unit. Other small mini-splits are 115V normal compressor w/ different fan speeds.

TBR

Humm, the "inverter" technology isn't that new. I'm pretty sure you can find
    some name brand inverter mini-splits that use 115vac around.
    But, they are likely to be 12,000 BTU and under. The larger systems need 230v.

PS:
    I'm still looking for information regarding using a MSW inverter, (Modified Sine Wave) with a mini-split.
    I have a (24KHS72 - Sanyo 24,200 BTU Heat Pump Air Conditioner) that
    I would really like to run on solar power during sunny days.
    (Using an inexpensive 48dc to 230vac MSW inverter)..
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

I've looked at Sanyo, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu and Shinco in the past and all units in all sizes were 240 volts except the smaller Sanyos.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Humm, I was checking out smaller inverter units on Ebay a few weeks ago
    and saw a few 115v units for sale..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310311910039&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It seems to me, if one vendor is selling them under their brand name, then
    it's very possible the manufacture is making the same spec models for
    the other vendors.

http://youtu.be/vZe8jCWi2Eo