anyone every buy solar panels directly from china

rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
seems like many usa companies get panels made in china and resell them here.
so why not just buy direct?
http://www.nbqxsolar.com/en/productss.php?tid=2
is a company I found.
their prices are good:
Dear Mr. Rolland Elliott,

Thanks for your inquiry for solar panels of 250Watt , 20 pcs shipped to US zip code 29745.
We would like to send you prices as followings:
1 - Shipped by Sea: Usd $1.60/Watt, (Usd $400/piece)   CIF USA port.     
2 - Shipped by Air: You'd better to let us know which airport is closest to your site. But it is sure that it will cheaper than Fast Express.
3 - Shipped by Fast Express:  Usd $2.10/Watt, (Usd $525/pc)   Door to Door service.

i asked if they were ul certified and no response yet.

Comments

• russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Re: anyone every buy solar panels directly from china

I sell good panels too - first class specifications, UL approved and what all.

Only 1.00 per watt - shipping will be arranged the day payment is received.

Only arranged though.

Buying from/in Asia can be tricky - you trust no one and you still can get screwed as you don't know the rules. I have lived and worked in several countries there and done business with others.

Russ
  • rollandelliott

Our products have ETL-UL1703 certification, also are listed by http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/equipment/pv_modules.php ,
    that will be eligible for incentives in Carlifornia.

Payment need to be done by TT, 30 deposit and balance against copy of BL (by sea), if by air, balance must be paid before shipment.

I'm guessing import fees/custom fees might make it less attractive. Not sure what "TT" payment is?
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did notice, though you asked for prices for 20 pieces they responded with prices for a container, 400 pieces?

To buy these $60,000, likely you'll want to setup an account with an international bank, get a letter of credit,

That .60 is delivered (CIF = Cost, Insurance and Freight) to a port in this country, You will be responsable for any US customs duties or tariffs.

You'll also need to arrange shipping of the container or it's contents to your location.

There is money to be made, but it takes money to mak...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Teetering close to STD ing on our host toes folks,,, as of now I think the thread can stand as long as it illustrates the pitfalls of trying to buy off shore. If it becomes a sales pitch we will delete the threadk

Thank you for as your cooperation,

Tony (junior moderator)
  • rollandelliott

I'll politely disagree with the moderator. This is a capatalistic society, if you think deleting this thread is going to stop anyone from buying a product from anyone they choose to you'd have to shut down the internet.

Also "You did notice, though you asked for prices for 20 pieces they responded with prices for a container, 400 pieces?"

that is not correct. The chinese exporter wants $400 per Piece.

Lastly custom fees will probably run 10% more which sucks, but the panels are still cheap.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    I'll politely disagree with the moderator. This is a capatalistic society, if you think deleting this thread is going to stop anyone from buying a product from anyone they choose to you'd have to shut down the internet.

Wrong.
    This forum is paid for by Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, who are in the business of selling products such as solar panels. There is no reason to expect them to foot the bill for what is essentially advertising for a competitor. You can buy wherever you like, but there are restrictions on what links and postings will be allowed here. This is not a free speech issue either.
  • Photowhit
    I'll politely disagree with the moderator. This is a capatalistic society, if you think deleting this thread is going to stop anyone from buying a product from anyone they choose to you'd have to shut down the internet..

Perhaps you missed that this site has been provided by and supported by Northern Arizona Wind and Solar. Your welcome to GO AWAY. They are welcome to say good bye. Basiclly it's respect.

Also "You did notice, though you asked for prices for 20 pieces they responded with prices for a container, 400 pieces?"

It is only according to what you posted, all the info I had.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • icarus

No one is suggesting that people don't buy something from china or anywhere else. The point is not to promote competition to our great site sponsor.

Tony
  • jagec
    jagec Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    No one is suggesting that people don't buy something from china or anywhere else. The point is not to promote competition to our great site sponsor.

Tony

I don't think that NAWS has too much to worry about. The only way that I'd buy any high-dollar equipment from China would be if I was over there in person to inspect the goods and make sure that everything was up to snuff. So, add a $2000 plane ticket to the cost, hotels, meals etc...

Counterfeiting of both products and certifications, factory seconds being sold as the genuine article, and all manner of inflated stats and other such shenanigans are endemic to the region. I wouldn't want to pay for a 230W brand-name UL-certified panel (even at an incredible price) and receive a no-name panel with no certification at all which barely puts out 180W. Heck, at $1.60/watt, you can almost get no-name (but certified) panels right here in the US, and at least you'd get the legal protection of the US government if the deal goes sour.

TANSTAAFL.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jagec wrote: »
    ...... at least you'd get the legal protection of the US government if the deal goes sour.

TANSTAAFL.

HA HA !! I'd get the protection ? More likely I'd wind up in jail for outing a scam. That's what often happens to the tallest nail sticking up. TINSTAAFL
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• rollandelliott

When people start posting stuff like you "can leave" blah blah blah you are having the exact opposite effect of supporting your sponsor.

Do you really think you are helping the sponsor out with that kind of post?

Below is the current "rules" perhaps they should be updated to reflect the moderator's postion of the sponsor.
    "Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of Solar Electric Power Discussion Forum by Northern Arizona Wind & Sun will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Solar Electric Power Discussion Forum by Northern Arizona Wind & Sun, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Solar Electric Power Discussion Forum by Northern Arizona Wind & Sun reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason."

Something like promoting competition with any products our sponsor sells is discouraged. But if that was done a large percentage of posts would be possibly banned.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

rolandelliott;

I agree the "you can leave" remark is harsh.

However, do not presuppose to explain the rules to the moderators. Beyond what is written there are more rules we have to consider. These include maintaining a tone of civility and respecting the host's "sovereignty", as it were. You have to accept that many of the decisions made by moderators is at their discretion, with the support of the site owners. They trust us to make the right choices in these matters.

Already a friendly advisory by Icarus has deteriorated into petty squabbling.

Consider this a very definite warning.
    To everybody.
  • icarus

From the "rules" :
    The owners of Solar Electric Power Discussion Forum by Northern Arizona Wind & Sun reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason."

Like I suggested before, I think the thread has value in terms of pointing out the pitfalls of buying off shore, but not at the expense of our hosts. It is only polite.

Tony
  • Photowhit

They will ship a single 250w panel for $400? That's 400/250 = $1.60 a watt somewhat more than the original post.

I'm kinda surprised they run that much, I was a little surprised at the original (typo) at $.60, but figured they must be close to $1.20 production, $1 packing, shipping, and $1 overhead, handling, profit for the retailer.

I've dropped you a PM, you might find interesting.