Repairing broken glass on panel?

CVN-71
CVN-71 Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭
We had a record amount of snow this winter and I wasn't able to clear the panels as my wife was in hospital entire month and I couldn't keep up. One panel was crushed. Pressure cracks look like safety glass shattered, not crack lines. It still works fine. Can I have a glass company replace the glass or are there any other options? TKS.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Repairing broken glass on panel?

i believe you'll need to replace that pv as there isn't any good reliable way to preserve the damaged pv let alone replace the glass. even if you got the present pv to be resealed with its light gathering ability impeded, the weight of the next heavy snowfall would do it in the rest of the way. experiment with it or use it in non critical applications that won't subject it to anything inclimate as its days are numbered.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

well I'd get some dow 6100 off ebay and put it over the cracks to seal it and then sandwich another piece of glass on top, but it might just be cheaper to buy a new one? I guess it depends on how much damage was done? any chance you can post a photo? just google free image hosting and upload it and link it to a post.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

the caulk and the cracks will introduce the effect of a lot of shadow, leaving the output pretty poor. adding extra glass will likely cloud/fo between the panes. I would bite the bullet and replace the panel now.

T
  • CVN-71
    CVN-71 Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭

Insurance covered the broken panel and I replaced it with a new one. However, I still have the broken one and was hoping to repair it enough to use it for something else, perhaps camping or separately to run some LED lights, etc.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd look into a pint of windshield repair resin, and vacuum bag the panel while it cures.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• jumpjack
    jumpjack Registered Users Posts: 2

Any news about how to remove glass from panel?
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

you can't it is glued on and removing it would surely cause more damage.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    jumpjack wrote: »
    Any news about how to remove glass from panel?
    The PV material inside the module is much more fragile than the glass which encapsulates it. I do not believe you can remove the glass without destroying the module. Use it for as long as it works, then trash it.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

I think insurance companys that replace the solar modules should destroy them so they can,t be reused. They won,t be safe or reliable, Why the insurance co. replaced them. Examples, If you total out a car the insurance co gets you a junk title as the car would be unsafe on the roads if fixed. A prominate snowmobile company had bad engines one year and the dealers were suposed to drill holes thru the engine block so they couldn,t be reused and they replaced the snowmobile or engines. Junk is jumk!!! :Dsolarvic:D
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    solarvic wrote: »
    I think insurance companys that replace the solar modules should destroy them so they can,t be reused. They won,t be safe or reliable, Why the insurance co. replaced them. Examples, If you total out a car the insurance co gets you a junk title as the car would be unsafe on the roads if fixed. A prominate snowmobile company had bad engines one year and the dealers were suposed to drill holes thru the engine block so they couldn,t be reused and they replaced the snowmobile or engines. Junk is jumk!!! :Dsolarvic:D

Sorry, Insurance companies replace things when it isn't cost effective to repair them. It doesn't mean they can't be repaired or even that they are currently unsafe. Roll a 8 year old pick up and the repair would be more than the current value, but it might well have driven home... My neighbor... paid $500 for the 'salvage' and replaced a side mirror (all the glass made it!!!) and drove it for 3 years and sold it for 2K.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Laws are different for different states. I was paid off by an insurance company and they said the title had to be reisued a junk title. a I bought the salvage from them but could only use parts from them. An auto company junked some of thier trucks because of rusty frames and paid off the owners and scrapped all the trucks about 3 years ago. All had to be bailed up at scrap yard so no one could could repair them. I could mention the name but someone might think it is political. :Dsolarvic:D
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Sorry, Insurance companies replace things when it isn't cost effective to repair them. It doesn't mean they can't be repaired or even that they are currently unsafe. Roll a 8 year old pick up and the repair would be more than the current value, but it might well have driven home... My neighbor... paid $500 for the 'salvage' and replaced a side mirror (all the glass made it!!!) and drove it for 3 years and sold it for 2K.

In California, once the insurer has declared the vehicle "totalled" the registration is cancelled and the plates have to be turned in. It can be re-registered in California, but only with a title which states "salvage" for the protection of a future buyer. It also requires a lighting and brake inspection by a certified mechanic, examination by Highway Patrol (mainly to check the VIN), and an invoice to show the DMV what was repaired. It is still a good deal if the insurer overestimated the repair cost and you can get the work done for a low enough price that the "repaired" vehicle is worth more to you than repair cost.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    inetdog wrote: »
    In California, once the insurer has declared the vehicle "totalled" the registration is cancelled and the plates have to be turned in. It can be re-registered in California, but only with a title which states "salvage" for the protection of a future buyer. It also requires a lighting and brake inspection by a certified mechanic, examination by Highway Patrol (mainly to check the VIN), and an invoice to show the DMV what was repaired. It is still a good deal if the insurer overestimated the repair cost and you can get the work done for a low enough price that the "repaired" vehicle is worth more to you than repair cost.
    You also have to consider what makes a car totaled. In the case of an older car which is otherwise sound, the repair of even minor cosmetic damage can cost more than the car is worth. It makes no sense to forcibly remove a car from the road which can be fixed with a door from a salvage yard or driven for years with a dented fender.