Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repairing broken glass on panel?

Default Repairing broken glass on panel?

We had a record amount of snow this winter and I wasn't able to clear the panels as my wife was in hospital entire month and I couldn't keep up. One panel was crushed. Pressure cracks look like safety glass shattered, not crack lines. It still works fine. Can I have a glass company replace the glass or are there any other options? TKS.

Default Re: Repairing broken glass on panel?

i believe you'll need to replace that pv as there isn't any good reliable way to preserve the damaged pv let alone replace the glass. even if you got the present pv to be resealed with its light gathering ability impeded, the weight of the next heavy snowfall would do it in the rest of the way. experiment with it or use it in non critical applications that won't subject it to anything inclimate as its days are numbered.
    NIEL

well I'd get some dow 6100 off ebay and put it over the cracks to seal it and then sandwich another piece of glass on top, but it might just be cheaper to buy a new one? I guess it depends on how much damage was done? any chance you can post a photo? just google free image hosting and upload it and link it to a post.

the caulk and the cracks will introduce the effect of a lot of shadow, leaving the output pretty poor. adding extra glass will likely cloud/fo between the panes. I would bite the bullet and replace the panel now.

T
    Please note, being a moderator does not add any weight to my opinions 300 watts Siemens/BP panels,plus a Sun 90,, making ~400. ~30 amps into Rogue MPT-3024, 450 ah of Trojan T-105, Morningstar ts300 inverter, a Tri-Metric meter.a collection of antique generators, plus 2 Honda eu-1000i's (also a BS2512 IX controller) and assorted other stuff!

Insurance covered the broken panel and I replaced it with a new one. However, I still have the broken one and was hoping to repair it enough to use it for something else, perhaps camping or separately to run some LED lights, etc.

I'd look into a pint of windshield repair resin, and vacuum bag the panel while it cures.

7. Default Re: Repairing broken glass on panel?

Any news about how to remove glass from panel?

you can't it is glued on and removing it would surely cause more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpjack View Post
    Any news about how to remove glass from panel?
    The PV material inside the module is much more fragile than the glass which encapsulates it. I do not believe you can remove the glass without destroying the module. Use it for as long as it works, then trash it.

I think insurance companys that replace the solar modules should destroy them so they can,t be reused. They won,t be safe or reliable, Why the insurance co. replaced them. Examples, If you total out a car the insurance co gets you a junk title as the car would be unsafe on the roads if fixed. A prominate snowmobile company had bad engines one year and the dealers were suposed to drill holes thru the engine block so they couldn,t be reused and they replaced the snowmobile or engines. Junk is jumk!!! solarvic
    16 KC 158G & 3 KD185GX-LPU panels on Fronius IG PLUS 3.0-1 inverter and 14 SHARP NDU3A & 1 KD185GXU panel on FRONIUS IG-3000 inverter. All mounted on pole top racks. Retired and enjoying it!!