Another Honda EU2000 Generator thread

Seven
Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭
I am looking at getting a small generator for backup. I have read thread after thread hear about the EU2000i. My question is more if I should get the 2000 and the companion or get the 3000. I have read that the 2000 only has 1600w of usable power. Figuring that, two of them should be around 3200. the 3000 using the same derating factor would put it about 2400. I can get either setup for the same price, the 3000 or the two 2000s. I can see a benefit of the larger gen with its extended runtime and it is only a single unit, it is quieter at idle than the 2000. The plus about the pair of 2000 is that I could have more total power, and if I only need one, it is much lighter.

After reading what I just typed, it seems like the pair of 2000s is the choice I should make.

Side note, both of the gens have a DC charging circuit, but my buddy who sells them says that they will not charge deep cycle batteries because the gen sees it as too little resistance and treats it like an open circuit.

To the question about what they will be used for.... Portable power for fun, backup power at home or work(work more likely), or to run the magnum charger/inverter that will be going on my yet to be completed solar setup.

Anything I am forgetting?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Another Honda EU2000 Generator thread

Average and Peak Loads...

Small genset for smaller loads that are on for many hours.

If you have the occasional large loads (pumps, power tools, etc.)--You might get a, cheap, larger 5kW+ genset for those times you need one and as emergency backup.

The DC output from the genset is only capable of ~8 amps when the "ECO" throttle is off (running at full speed). Also, I believe one person here said their generator documentation said that you can only run the DC output when there are no AC loads (did not see that anywhere with my older EU2000i).

If you need/want to charge a battery bank--get a real AC charger sized for the bank/generator capacity.

There is both a manual and electric model for the eu3000i (as I recall)... If you want your spouse to pull start a generator in an emergency (your at work/traveling)--may not be the best idea.

In any case, if this is a genset you plan on running in a typical neighborhood for many hours during the day (outages)--Getting quiet gensets (like the Honda/Yamaha inverter lines) is a great thing... I have run/heard the older "noise makers" and it is embarrassing to run those around other's homes (unless they run an extension cord to yours--then they seem to care less).

Also, you have to decide if you are going to run everything in your home with extension cords or wire in a transfer switch. Plus you should get a carbon monoxide detector too (gensets running near homes, or some people put them in the garage to keep locked up--kill there unfair share of people).

Storing fuel is another big issue...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Seven
    BB. wrote: »

If you need/want to charge a battery bank--get a real AC charger sized for the bank/generator capacity. I am looking at the Magnum 2012inverter charger.

There is both a manual and electric model for the eu3000i (as I recall)... If you want your spouse to pull start a generator in an emergency (your at work/traveling)--may not be the best idea.She is good with the pull cord, no worries there, but that is something I didn't think of

In any case, if this is a genset you plan on running in a typical neighborhood for many hours during the day (outages)--Getting quiet gensets (like the Honda/Yamaha inverter lines) is a great thing... I have run/heard the older "noise makers" and it is embarrassing to run those around other's homes (unless they run an extension cord to yours--then they seem to care less). Quiet is the reason for looking at the EU series. The less noise the better.

Also, you have to decide if you are going to run everything in your home with extension cords or wire in a transfer switch. Plus you should get a carbon monoxide detector too (gensets running near homes, or some people put them in the garage to keep locked up--kill there unfair share of people).Well aware of the carbon monoxide issue. I used to do alot of catering(still do more than I like) on a charcoal grill that would give me headaches that a doctor told me were from CM poisoning. I have heard the stories of people running a gen too close to the home that killed them.
    I have been looking at transfer switches already.

Storing fuel is another big issue...This is one thing I am comfortable with. Special spot in the shed for fuel storage. I don't keep much extra on hand though, less than 50 gallons of gas and diesel. I don't plan on the gens doing constant long term duty, just enough to get us through a blackout, or some other short term issue, or for cloudy days where the panels don't keep up.

-Bill

I hope that helps.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leper wrote: »
    ...I am looking at the Magnum 2012inverter charger....

Best find out what the power factor is on your prospective chargers, some are good at .9, and some are down at .6, which means you may not be able to use a 2KW genset to get 1.5KW of charge.

Example
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?p=74298&highlight=iota+factor#post74298

measured my Iota (48V/15A version ) over the holiday, and I recorded the following from my kill-a-watt:
    1030w (AC)
    11.9A (AC)
    .67pf
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

There is the SteveK eu2000i AC battery charger thread--He seemed to find a really nice 1,000 watt unit (12/24 possibly 48 volt versions). If you want the details, go through that one.

There are some nice Inverter/Chargers out there... I would read through the specs./ask questions if they are programmable input current/power (limit genset loads) and what their charger's power factor is (there are ones out there that are >0.95 Power Factor (good).

Another thread talked about converting to propane these smaller gensets:

Propane conversion kits

At the current time, I have stuck with gasoline... Useful for genset, cooking (gasoline fueled camp stoves) and I can either use in car for bugging out or siphon from car in an emergency--A bit more flexible for me.

We have natural gas--but in the case of an Earthquake--I would tend to believe natural gas may not be back for weeks after the "big one" (I have never lost natural gas even with earthquakes--just looking for options).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Seven

Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was looking for. I still have more research to do, but the 12v version looks pretty good.