Desulfator question

bmet
bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
I saw a desulfator at a local 'tronics' shop, and the cashier/manager/owner stated it didn't matter what the AH capacity of an effected battery was, it would just have to be connected longer.

Does a desulfator have any limitation as to the AH of the battery it's connected to?

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Desulfator question

first of all i have the opinion that these devices are unproven to work, but what the guy said to you doesn't make any sense to me for aren't they supposed to be connected all of the time anyway? in other words, how do you increase the time connected to an item that is always connected?:confused::roll:
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

The only solid evidence of desulphator action we've seen around here is that they screw up certain MPPT charge controllers. Notably my favourite Outbacks. :cry:

The theory is that the pulsed frequency dislodges the sulphur from the plates. There is some evidence that PWM charge controllers do have a positive effect in this manner. In that respect one would expect that the size of the battery bank would matter.

Proving whether or not desulpators work is practically impossible, as no two batteries are exactly alike. As far as preventing sulphation, proper charge technique works. As for reversing sulphation ... Good luck with that no matter how you try it. By then the battery has internal damage any way.

Save your money.
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

I'd give you a killer deal on two DeSulfator 1000 models. As mentioned above, I finally learned that the erratic behavior of two Outback controllers ceased as soon as they were disconnected.

I have three Outback controllers and one Xantrex C-60. The behavior in question was only on the two Outbacks that actually functioned in MPPT (bigger volts in than out). The C-60 and one Outback that I have connected to a "12V" array didn't seem to care whether they were desulfating or not.

Phil
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Save your money.
    Agree totally. Basically electronic Snake Oil.
    No proof whatsoever that they do anything beyond thinning your wallet.
    First cousin to the ultrasonic "deer whistles" sold to stick on your vehicle, that so many people "believe in".
    #1: Do they actually make any sound at all? No humans have heard the claimed sound.
    #2: Deer have basically the same hearing frequency range as we humans. Dogs can hear somewhat higher, but mice hear really high frequencies, so if these whistles make any sound at all, perhaps they might even attract mice instead of scaring them away?
    And that's a lesson in how politicians turn one question into a totally different answer.:p :p
  • Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    bmet wrote: »
    I saw a desulfator at a local 'tronics' shop, and the cashier/manager/owner stated it didn't matter what the AH capacity of an effected battery was, it would just have to be connected longer.

Does a desulfator have any limitation as to the AH of the battery it's connected to?

Every controlled study I've seen indicates that their effectiveness in reducing wallet weight is completely independent of battery capacity.