Broken Solar Panel Glass

arcandspark
arcandspark Solar Expert Posts: 63 ✭✭✭✭
My friend had a hail storm a few weeks ago and one out of ten panels was damaged. The glass shattered but is still in place. The panel still seems to be working properly even with the broken glass. I have ten panels wired in five series pairs. The system has been working just fine for months now. I am adding eight more different panels on a Zome tracker that I will parallel with these fixed panels. My question is should I remove the damaged panel pair from the system or will it, or can it cause damage. I am tryng to figure out the risk of leaving the panel in place. We are trying to get another panel to replace it but they dont make these panels anymore (Photo Watt) and since it is a fixed panel assembly it is hard to find another panel the same spec's and same size. I will be wiring the zome tracker panels up next weekend. So I might remove the damaged panel pair then. (arcandspark)

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Broken Solar Panel Glass

At worse--You they are no longer insulated--depending on voltage of the array you could get a fire/set leaves blown onto the panels on fire. You can also get DC current leaks that can cause corrosion at frame mounting joints and could even cause mounting hardware into wood (if the wood can get damp) to rust. Could cause a ground fault (near coast, salty fog) if your system has a GF detection circuit.

At best--nothing will happen until rain and dust get into the panels and eventually drop their output.

Probably the 2nd is more likely.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look up the story about Humpty Dumpty - I've yet to see or hear of a fix that will last more than a year.

The only hope is to get a bucket of the windshield repair resin the windshield repair folks use, coat the panel, and then vacuum bag it while it cures. The stuff is supposed to be good enough for windshields.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

what were the dimensions and imp of the pvs that failed and maybe we can find something to suffice in its place? they will eventually fail, but the windshield sealer is about the best idea although some have just placed and sealed another sheet of glass over top of the old. another piece of glass is more resistance to the light and may not be as sturdy or weatherable.
  • arcandspark

Hey, thanks for all the advice. I was more worried about the shorting out and fire hazard than trying to fix the panel. We are going to replace that series pair of panels with another pair that closely match the voltage and current rating of these panels. I plan to disconnect this pair this next weekend. After we purchase a new pair of panels we will have a spare just incase there is another hail storm. He said the hail was golf ball sized lasting more than fifteen minutes, and covered the ground, making it look like winter time. These panels have been up for a couple years now and I told my friend to purchase insurance incase of hail damage way back when I installed them, and he kept telling me it has never hailed here in the past nine years he has been living there off grid. Soon he will have 18 solar panels to worry about instead of just 10. arcandspark
  • niel

out of curiosity, what kind of angle is on his pvs because a slightly steeper angle may help to deflect hail to the ground without as much force hitting the pv? odds are he has a good angle already, but just in case it is worth mentioning.
  • arcandspark

Right now the angle should be almost less than 10 degrees because it has been summer time, but he had left them at about 25 to 30 degrees. Only one panel was damaged out of ten panels. Hail stones golf ball sized, for over fifteen minutes none stop. I feel he was very lucky to lose only one panel. Most panel manufactures say their panels will take a 1 inch hail stone at fifty mph. These hail stones were almost 1 1/2 inches, about half miile away they got over 2 inch hail stones. You can see where it hit, right at the edge where the glass just goes under the aluminum frameing. Oh well, another lesson learned, taught by mother nature. arcandspark
  • niel

ok on the angle and it is unfortunate that it happened.

as to this,
    "You can see where it hit, right at the edge where the glass just goes under the aluminum frameing."
    i am at a loss to 'see' it as there is no pic or link to one that i can see. i might have missed it as the old eyesight isn't what it used to be though. :cool: <represents me as blind sometimes and disclaimer: this in no way is a cut or an insult to any with a disability in my criticism of myself.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Guess as to what happened - the hail had been hitting the panels, and just self-destructing on the glass. (hail is usually a bit slushy, not a solid ice cube) But one hit the frame, bent the frame, and the aluminum cracked the glass, not the actual hail. Still a bummer.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• dulley
    dulley Registered Users Posts: 18

Works for me
    Here is what i did
    I went to the local glass store
    Had them cut the number 2 glass the same size as the panel
    I put silicone on the frame of the panel and then the glass
    It keeps the weather out and the panel still works
    It only droped from 23 volts to 21 volts