Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Skystream 600

Default Introducing Skystream 600

Truth squad said Southwest Wind Power likes to pop golden parachutes. Looks like they will be popping a new golden parachute this coming April. The new Skystream 600 will produce 74% more energy than the Skystream 3.7. Hope they have done something about that annoying whine the inverter makes.
    http://www.windenergy.com/news/press...CES_1-6-11.htm

Default Re: Introducing Skystream 600

Interesting. Hopefully it's not another lemon that turns more people sour to wind power.

Edward
    On-grid with RE backup power. HY-2000 2kW wind turbine charging 48V 600Ah Concorde Lifeline battery bank. Wind power diversion heats water in an auxilliary 80 gal hot water heater. 2.1kW Evergreen solar panels & TS-MPPT-45. XW6048 inverter, Onan 6kW 6DJE diesel generator, and Yanmar YDG3700 diesel gen as backup.

Well, SWWP could probably have made a case for this one if the original one had actually worked. I heard an interesting rumor going about town that SWWP has approached a local production machine shop to manufacture this one for them. The rumors could be wrong, but if not, one would think SWWP would hire back the people they laid off to build it since they actually know how. But, we know that won't happen because SWWP has a proud history of never admitting mistakes---or even admitting anything at all is wrong. Which is why all the early warnings about Skystream out in BetaTestLand went unheeded. Oh, yes, problems were apparant right from the beginning, but it was still full speed ahead!

The rumors could also be wrong that SWWP will farm out production to a local machine shop since it is far more likely SWWP will farm it out to China. Also, this Skystream 600 has just been released, meaning we have yet to see the parade of mistakes that will be forthcoming, oh, I predict within three months of them being installed.

Be that as it may, SWWP can run all the ads on NPR they like about how they're "protecting the environment" (LOL!!!!!) and portray themselves as all-around puppy-kissing teddybears. But the fact is, well over thirty people lost their jobs over there and I see them around town. Most of them are not doing so well; some are doing very badly, in fact. SWWP tries to hide that and also tries to hide the fact that they hired people from out-of-town or out-of-state to replace those people rather than hire them back. So, if SWWP treated loyal employees like yesterday's trash, how are you the customer going to get treated better? Yeah, I see their new Skystream 600. I also see a bunch of people who lost their jobs of 10 years and more. So why anyone would trust SWWP, given their track record, certainly bears out PT Barnum's observation that "There's a sucker born every minute".

Well it is going to be 74% more productive than the original skystream where did they get 74%?

As my college professor says, "46.85% of all statistics are just made up"

oh good, math problems.
    let's see now 74% of 0 is 0.
    100%-46.85% = 53.15% remaining that are lies.
    did i get an a?
    NIEL

Quote Originally Posted by niel View Post
    oh good, math problems.
    let's see now 74% of 0 is 0.
    100%-46.85% = 53.15% remaining that are lies.
    did i get an a?
    Yes you get an A+

and then i need filler for 18 words

Bret Guest

the noise from the turbine is NOT from the inverter! It is from the mechanical vibrations caused by the magnetic rotor passing by the coils of the stator under load from generating power! You will never be able to eliminate this noise with out some method of attenuation which will only contribute to cost of production and besides that some people have come to enjoy the sound, mostly from a moderate distance, it is a sound that affirms independence and lets you know that the system is functioning correctly. Besides that, It is still less of a nuisance then city noises! These small scale turbines are not that noisy anyway, try being around one of the big ones. The mounting system of the skystream units and many others have insulators to reduce the noise radiated into the tower while the big ones do not, which makes them nearly deafening at very close ranges. I work on the skystreams and have worked on a larger unit of 65kw for a radio station and inside the tower for the 65kw unit you cannot hear someone standing next to you talk without yelling. Also the more output a turbine is generating the higher the decibel level, which is as I stated related to the load placed on the generators output, it is a mechanical noise Not from the inverter !!! It is called cogging from the rotation of the rotor within the magnetic field of the stator!!! No way to get rid of it!!! The bigger the generator the louder the noise !!!

Hi Bret,

I've watched a YouTube video of a Skystream (not the 600) and it was surprisingly loud. Hard to believe Southwest Wind Power can't do something simple to make it quieter. I have a Chinese made HY-2000 that is very quiet and costs a fraction of the cost of a Skystream. From what I've read, the Skystream is probably largely made from Chinese manufactured components. My HY-2000 cranks out more power than a Skystream. It has put out over 4400W peaks in 32mph winds. If higher output means more noise, then somehow the Chinese (at least HY Energy) are better at figuring out how to make their turbines quiet. Odd that SWWP can't figure it out - especially considering the cost of the Skystream.

Edward
    On-grid with RE backup power. HY-2000 2kW wind turbine charging 48V 600Ah Concorde Lifeline battery bank. Wind power diversion heats water in an auxilliary 80 gal hot water heater. 2.1kW Evergreen solar panels & TS-MPPT-45. XW6048 inverter, Onan 6kW 6DJE diesel generator, and Yanmar YDG3700 diesel gen as backup.

Bret Guest

If noise bothers you then spend 4 times as much and install solar power systems. They are more cost effective anyway and have No mechanical maintenance for the same rating. The sun is more consistent then the wind anyway! I have both systems at 2 different locations and the solar array has produced more then twice the output of the turbine for the same period of time. That is not to say that one is better than the other because different location have different environmental conditions. The farther North you go the better wind is and the opposite is true for the solar. They both work great together as one compliments the other and as they say don't put all of your marbles in the same bag, if it breaks, you loose everything! Been there and done that too! That is why if you plan to do the renewable energy thing don't stop once you get something working, build on it, and use every technology you can cause it all comes back to you at the end of each month for a long time after it is working. When skystream released the model 600 they claimed a 74 % increase in annual power output, this can be done by software control of the power control system in the skystream. The size of the rotor is the limiting factor of the max. output of any turbine, the original 3.7s' had problems with the electronics, at least that has been my experience. They were regulated to 1.8 KW continuous output and they had a less sophisticated radio communication system. The Zigbee system is uprated to 2.4 KW cont. with updated software. Additional updates can increase the annual and instantaneous output. Since the 600 is the same basic size with some improvements in prop design would account for the increase in output. Also if you have one of the 1.8 kw units and it doesn't work then it would be very easy to increase output 74 %!!! DAH !!! I have a friend that works for a large turbine corp. and he agrees with me about the early 3.7s' not being a very good unit. If SWWP intends to stay in business then they must make improvements in their systems, that is just good business.