Changing fridge from ac to dc?

konstantin.neo
konstantin.neo Registered Users Posts: 19
Hi.
Is it possible to change the compressor from an AC fridge to a compressor that operates off DC? So far I am looking for a way to do this but nobody seems to offer the compressors alone.
I thought it would be like just swapping the compressor ac/dc and re-gassing the system, am I wrong? I have a nice horizontal fridge that I would like to change to dc.

On a side question, I have a Shurflo 9300 pump with a couple of kc65w panels and pump controller working here for about a year, and I wish to know if I should stock on parts that worn out but I am unsure what to get. I wouldn't want to be without water supply if something stops working.
I live in Laredo.

Thanks.
Konstantin.

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Changing fridge from ac to dc?

I would guess that changing the compressors out is going to be more trouble than it is worth.

As for the shureflo, Parts are fairly easy to come by, I'm not sure I would inventory any, but if I were, I would think that the connector boots, and the valve kits are fairly easy to keep around. If you need more extensive work you can get stuff overnighted from many places.

Parts B and C on the exploded:

http://www.windsun.com/Solar_Water_Pumps/9300_parts.htm

Tony
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Where you going to get a DC compressor large enough to use in a full size fridge ?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

There are some discussions about off-grid refrigerators, for example:

Solar Refrigerator

Sunfrost and/or Sundanzer do use a DC powered refrigeration compressor (I cannot find the company name--was it out of Germany?). Depending on the amount of heat that needs to be removed--You would have to size the compressor for that (if they make one the correct size).

Otherwise, a good energy star refrigerator (or a converted chest freezer to cut power usage way down--see link above), a ~1,500 Watt pure sine wave inverter, battery bank, and solar panels (with backup genset) would be the generic recommendation here.

In general, the standard energy star refrigerators are about as efficient as the dedicated DC units and 1/2 to 1/3 the price--use that for inverter/extra panels and possibly a longer/more trouble free refrigerator life.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.

I should also add there are companies that make refrigeration compressor kits for the Marine (boats) sector--You may find something there that meets your DC needs too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.

Goody, just found it "Danfoss Compressors":

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Danfoss Electronic Specification[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](in pdf format)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Danfoss Compressor Specification[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](in pdf format)[/FONT]

-Bill
  • tammy
    tammy Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited February 2022 #7

im not an expert i looked it up and it looks like and adapter this is where i saw it.

https://www.toolots.com/mr-frozen-solar-freezer-bcd142.html

scroll down that page and you will see a pic with the word fitting under it it looks like an adapter to me but like i said im not an expert D
  • BB.
    edited February 2022 #8
    Hi Tammy,

That is an AC to DC converter to power DC fridge.

What was wanted was to convert an AC fridge to DC power (AC inverter) or replace the AC compressor with a DC compressor.

A completely different question and answer...

Also the question was from 10 years ago--The original poster will probably never see the current posts anyways.

-Bill