Are these Quality Parts?

Jburgess
Jburgess Solar Expert Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
I purchased some tilt kits for adding more panels and received these brackets:

PICT0193a.jpg

PICT0194a.jpg

I asked the manufacturer about them and received this response:

Thank you for sending over the pictures of the u-brackets. These striations in the photos are actually a standard result of the forming process, and have zero impact on structural integrity. These components are ready for install, and like all our products, are covered by warranty (a copy of which is in the instruction manual for that product).

Feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions,

What do you guys think?

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Are these Quality Parts?

Being an automotive stamping tool and die maker in a former life, the stress marks, cracks are a result of using lower quality material that has a higher hardness and is less ductile. Will it cause issues? hard to say, depends on the loads it encounters of course. If the parts are over engineered then there is nothing to worry about.

If sounds like the manufacturer is willing to stand behind them, but will they be supportive of any damage caused to the panels being mounted? unlikely. I bet you won't get them to replace them at this stage, take good photos and monitor them regularly to determine if the parts look as if they are starting to fail. I suspect you will get some warning prior to complete failure.

PS, it could be an easy fix to just repair them now, but probably would invalidate your warranty.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

Their customer service person is better than their sheet metal brake operator.
  • solar_dave

Also the photos show a narrowing of the material at the corner, this is caused by having too small a radius on the inside corner of the die, causing excessive stretching of the material in the corner. There are formulas for proper bending radii in the Machinery's Handbook but generally the bending die needs to be designed with the proper inside radius and the proper "squish" in the outer die corner to force a slight over bend of the angle to account for spring back of the material. Usually the die is some what adjustable to account for variations in the ductility of the material.

As noted they are probably done on some sort of press brake which is a typical low production method.
  • solar_dave

Also note on the second photo they are "overstriking" the material to force the square corner, generally bad juju!

It just goes to show you where the US quality has gone to on manufactured items.
  • Jburgess

Sadly, I can make better looking parts in my garage.

PICT1250.jpg

PICT1251.jpg

I’ll just have the engineer approve the specs when he does the truss calculations.
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Having done nondestructive testing on everything from the Space shuttle to logging equipment I am much more disturbed by the apparent corner cracks. Cracks are NEVER acceptable as they will propagate and eventually fail. I would say they are unacceptable.
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭

I'm not an engineer, but I say from real would inspections of failed welds, formed metal, etc. that if the parts are already cracked from the forming process, the are already in a state of failure. I agree with Shadowcatcher on this point. And yes, , I too have done better work on the brake press that one of my clients business let me use...and I don't know what I'm doing!!!...I just adjusted the type of die for the raduis relief until I didn't get cracks.
    I recommend returning for exchange or refund or have a local fab shop work'em up for you. Just my thoughts
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

One good supplier to run away from - far away!

This is just some small timer doing work with no knowledge or experience involved. Possibly your supplier buys them out from someone with a garage.

Russ
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

if you haven't put them into use ask the manufacturer or place you got them from if you can get a refund and return the unused unwanted parts. if they say no then they aren't really standing behind their stuff imho.
  • Jburgess
    niel wrote: »
    if you haven't put them into use ask the manufacturer or place you got them from if you can get a refund and return the unused unwanted parts. if they say no then they aren't really standing behind their stuff imho.

My dealer will exchange them or let me return them. I have no issues with them.

It’s just that I am tweaked the manufacturer insists that the parts are fine.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

yes, it may be fine for them getting your good money for their junk, but i doubt they'd use their own products for their own personal use in the condition they have sold them to you in. now will they be in business when the parts fail?