Go to the Northern Arizona Wind & Sun - Online Solar Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wind Max HY Energy Chinese imports hype or good stuff?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind Max HY Energy Chinese imports hype or good stuff?

I have been researching wind generators and came across the Wind Max HY Energy wind turbines from applied magnets out of Texas. I have seen some reviews on you tube with people raving about their great performance and have also heard that they are trash and the controllers are a safety hazard. I notice Arizona wind and sun does not sell the wind max and if the wind max is better than the SouthWest or Primus you sell... opinions? Only have the money to do this once.

Re: Wind Max HY Energy Chinese imports hype or good stuff?

Welcome to the forum.

I think first you might want to look at this thread that explains some of the confusion:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/show...d%29-Confusion

Then there are several other threads about Windmax and HY turbines:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/show...-SMA-Windy-Boy

http://forum.solar-electric.com/show...ax-H8-Troubles

http://forum.solar-electric.com/show...W-Wind-Turbine

As you can see, there's no shortage of discussion.

I think what you need to look into primarily is whether or not your site is actually any good for wind to begin with. You'd be amazed at the number of turbines put up that don't produce anything because there really is not enough wind to move them.

By the way, the forum operates at "arms length" from our host NAWS. None of the moderators have anything to do with them, and they don't monitor the site for business questions. They do welcome direct inquiries however.

Comment

Windmax HY energy and most chinese wind turbines do NOT have replacement parts available. Not even blades of all things. There is NO warranty if you install it yourself. Even if you have warranty you have to send the WHOLE unit back to china for repair and you pay the shipping expenses. The charge controllers commonly fail in the first big wind or if you forget to connect to battery first. There is a reason why windmax sells coleman charge controllers. You pay full price for a replacement American Made charge controller even if burning the original wasn't your fault.
      My advice is to buy American made from places like Hurricane Windpower, Missouri Wind and Solar (mwands), or Windblue or Windy Nation. Every part of their turbine can be replaced and parts are readily available. The windy nation turbine motor cannot be parted out, you have to buy a whole new motor but they do sell replacement blades and such.
      Here is a video I have found among others:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbghmNj_St4

Comment

I've found an awesome windmax video. Appears someone has replaced the blades with missouri raptor blades and their 600 watt wind max is producing over 1000 watts.
        heres the video:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncMvuVJr8cc

Comment

Wow I just found this video review of windmax wind turbine blades exploding. Too bad he can't get replacement blades.
          here is the video of the windmax blades breaking off and sinking into the ground:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA_fwfvSSjQ

Comment

Here are some reviews I found about the windmax wind turbine on Amazon revenskeep:
            http://www.amazon.com/Windmax-HY1000...owViewpoints=1

Comment

Originally posted by 20yrDCman View Post
              Here are some reviews I found about the windmax wind turbine on Amazon revenskeep:
              http://www.amazon.com/Windmax-HY1000...owViewpoints=1
              To summarize for those who do not want to take the time to read:
              7 reviews:
              2 five star
              1 three star
              4 one star

A common gripe was the warranty which was so restrictive as to make it useless. If the limitation is driven by a sincere belief that any small wind needs a knowledgable person involved at purchase and install, I can see it. But the limitation is not revealed in their sales pitch.
              Sunny Boy 3000US, 18 x BP Solar 175b panels, installed 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by ravenskeep View Post
                I have been researching wind generators and came across the Wind Max HY Energy wind turbines from applied magnets out of Texas. I have seen some reviews on you tube with people raving about their great performance and have also heard that they are trash and the controllers are a safety hazard. I notice Arizona wind and sun does not sell the wind max and if the wind max is better than the SouthWest or Primus you sell... opinions? Only have the money to do this once.
                Pay no attention to those two. Wind Max works fine and is an honest company

I'm not at liberty to say any more about the two commenters.

Comment

Originally posted by Cariboocoot View Post
                  Welcome to the forum.

I think first you might want to look at this thread that explains some of the confusion:
                  http://forum.solar-electric.com/show...d%29-Confusion

Then there are several other threads about Windmax and HY turbines:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/show...-SMA-Windy-Boy

http://forum.solar-electric.com/show...ax-H8-Troubles

http://forum.solar-electric.com/show...W-Wind-Turbine

As you can see, there's no shortage of discussion.

I think what you need to look into primarily is whether or not your site is actually any good for wind to begin with. You'd be amazed at the number of turbines put up that don't produce anything because there really is not enough wind to move them.

By the way, the forum operates at "arms length" from our host NAWS. None of the moderators have anything to do with them, and they don't monitor the site for business questions. They do welcome direct inquiries however.
                  Boss
                  Contact BB about this thread. I sent him some insight

Comment

I agree. I have a 1kw wind max with no problems. I also own a few of those delco style PMA's. In comparison the wind max was a great buy regading power and construction. Even if they came with a warranty mine would have never needed that warranty as i have had mine for over 4 years with no problems. As far as the post on the Wind Max blades exploding i have conatcted the person who has the posted video on this page. He has told me his dump load controller was not strong enough to hold the turbine down in the 65 MPH winds he was receiving. That wind max was a new 1kw HY with a new blade style and was not tested on the inverter that was used. I think a little more facts should be posted before posting a video with only a negative point of view. So far these postings look to me like a bashing campain instead of an information highway to better ideas on improvemnts. To further the improvment part the owner of HY has been sent the correct dump load coils and has also been very nice to talk with in sharing information. Wind max wind turbines for me is a grand slam and i plan on buying a few more. I highly recommend them.
                    3kw grid tie solar 3kw wind power

Comment

I am very happy to hear that you are satisfied with your Windmax turbine.

Please note--For some reason there is starting to be a lot of personal flak starting about the turbine and reviews.

None of us here have any information on people who post here or who they may or may not work for. All opinions are personal in the end. And when available, we certainly allow those to be posted too.

We have had a mix of posts (positive and negative) about Windmax turbines from people that like them or not--And some issues over the years about trying to get spare parts. And even some possible confusion about the same brand name being used by different vendors.

Please take a breath and stand back. If somebody has experience (good or bad) about hardware--please feel free to post.

Vendor issues become a bigger issue for us Moderators. Pretty much a given that none of us have ever work with/or had business dealings for any of the parties involved. Please just stick with "just the facts" about the hardware and please do not attempt to draw the forum into personal/legal issues.

There is nothing we can do about it. And all it will do is lock threads (or worse).

Sincerely,
                      -Bill B. Moderator
                      Last edited by BB.; March 28th, 2013, 20:52.
                      20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.

Comment

Which brings me to the point of why I asked the question in the forum here to begin with. You tube is full of people posting out of greed and personal interest in my opinion. Such is the case with the commenter Polarico whom fielded my comment advising me to pay no attention to those two. I recognize the name as a frequent youtube commenter that is affiliated with a group that supports wind max. The thing is one group says Wind Max are great the other says they stink. At this point it is reasonable to conclude you cannot get spare parts as many have noted. This is a relatively new company?? Five years or so? They are designed for how many years? What is breaking that spare parts are needed?

What I do not understand as a buyer that has me completely confused is you have a group of people indicating that these turbines are great and outperform everything else. Many of the same people and I do not exaggerate here have riveted street signs to the tail and the first thing they do is show the blades that the originals out of the box were replaced with. Are the blades bad? If I buy a turbine that is world class is it reasonable to expect I should have to weld a street sign to it and put on another set of blades?

1 why are people welding tails to these when it comes with a tail....
                        2 why do people immediately replace the blades
                        3 what parts fail that you cannot get???

I am not being huffy or in the least or mean any of these questions derogatory way , however something is either world class or it is not....based on the 3 observations above does anyone have any feedback.....please leave the opinion out I need real answers not guys in their yard acting like children on youtube.

Comment

Here is an older thread (from late 2010) that talks about Windmax a bit:

Windmax HY-2000 2kW Wind Turbine

I, personally, am not a fan of small wind. The smaller turbines (in general) either do not perform well in moderate winds, or self destruct/shut down in high winds (usually lacking brakes, furling, and/or feathering to shut down safely in high winds). And while wind turbines themselves are not that expensive, to put one on a 60-90+ foot tower in a windy region is expensive--When all is said and done (tower, foundation, controllers, labor, etc.), the wind turbine is just a faction of the total price.

We have some links to pro and con sites for wind that are an interesting read:

Wind Power Links
                          www.otherpower.com (good forum for DIY Wind Power)
                          Hugh Piggott - Scoraig Wind Electric site for tons of info (from mike90045)
                          www.greenpowertalk.org (added from "russ"--Like here but more wind/less solar)
                          Small windpower a scam ? Survey says SO
                          Truth About Skystream & SWWP

Much of the problem is there are aerodynamic principles that govern how much an ideal wind turbine can generate... And many of the charts/tables for these smaller wind turbines exceed even the theoretical maximums. And in practice, even if you have a very good small turbine, many times the sites themselves are not very conducive to generating power (low average wind speed, very high peak wind speeds, turbulent winds, mounting on homes/businesses near roof lines, etc.). Let alone the issues with lightning strikes.

From what I have seen so far, many of the successful turbines have been built by the owners, either based on old (1930's designs) or on their own designs.

We have one poster here "Chris Olson" who designs and builds his own turbines. These things weigh 300 lbs and are placed on 90' towers running Midnite Clipper MPPT controllers.

http://dairylandwindpower.us/

Originally posted by ChrisOlson View Post
                          Many of my builds are on some other forums for homebuilders. I build those turbines for off-grid folks, and I've got several of them in Canada. We have three wind turbines for our home. They're on 80 and 90 foot self-supporting towers - this is the latest one I put up in July on one of my own 80 foot towers:

They are 3.5 meter (11.5 foot diameter) high voltage machines (cut in at 50 volts, rated power at 142 volts), have a geared axial generator, and use the Classic 150 controller. They produce 460 watts @ 15 mph, 1 kW @ 20 mph and 1.6 kW @ 25 mph. Depending on how you set the voltage clipper they are capable of well over the Classic's maximum output rating on 12 and 24 volt systems in 30+ mph wind. They are not power limited by the furling tail - that doesn't do anything until the wind is blowing about 35-40 mph. Their power is limited by the voltage clipper.

Yes, of course, I do all the maintenance. They only require annual service which consists of inspecting the blades and touching up any worn paint and cleaning leading edges, inspecting the drop cable for wear (they do not use slip rings), changing oil in the gearbox, and greasing the yaw/thrust and tail bearings.

I only build them for qualified off-grid installations, and only for installation on a proper tower. I will not build one for somebody who wants to use it for grid-tie, or put it on a guyed pipe tower because pipe towers move too much and won't hold one in high winds. The machine weighs in excess of 300 lbs and develops close to 1,000 lbs of side thrust on the tower mast in 90 mph wind (90 mph survival required by the new tower standard). The towers for them are either built here (my own design), or I use Rohn SSV towers, depending on the zoning requirements and what engineering stamp is required on it.

My turbines are well outside the budget range of all but the most serious off-grid installations. But they are also not a toy like a Bergey XL.1 Noisemaker.
                          --
                          Chris
                          There is no way that I could use a wind turbine where I live (metropolitan area with smaller lots and low wind speeds)--So, I don't even bother looking around.

In the end, I have seen very little in the way of documentation of any "small" (home/small business) wind turbines that have operated over a 1 year period with monthly kWH listing (Chris being one of the few that seems to log his power generation). All turbines need mainteneance and repair over time--They are installed in very sever conditions (up on a tower in four season weather, rain/ice/wind/sun, possible lightning, thermal cycling, vibration, etc.). The "sucessful" folks, seem to be those that perform much of the work themselves. Renting cranes and lift trucks, donkeys, to access the turbines gets expensive very quickly.

I am not sure what else to add--We (as a forum) try to avoid getting personal. Everything is a choice in life. And we have all made mistakes along the way. Our intent here is to have first person experience backed with data/links (when available) to move the discussions forward.

Life is too short to get wrapped around the axle with joining "camps" and getting personal.

Sincerely,
                          -Bill
                          20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.

Comment

I knew sooner or later if the Olsen guy kept on posting on forums he would convince someone he knew what he was talking about. I have read his ramblings on otherpower and sorry was not impressed just my opinion. I notice by the hyperlink to his site this is just a marketing tool for him as well? I guess I am just baffled that the opinions are so varied. Pertaining to Olsen well I will leave that alone but the issue remains you have polar opposing opinions on windmax. It is either good or it needs new blades and big enough tail and slip rings that will not burn up....I don't think there can be two ways about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ravenskeep View Post
                              I knew sooner or later if the Olsen guy kept on posting on forums he would convince someone he knew what he was talking about.
                              I am quite impressed by his postings and I think he is a most valued member of these forums. However... a lot of the advice he gives is not good advice for the rest of us. Example: he feels that many parallel strings of batteries is perfectly OK. It's OK for him because he goes to extreme measures to periodically load test and rearrange them as needed. For the rest of us who don't take such extreme measures its a bad idea.

He has done some very impressive things with his system and I am grateful to learn so much from him, even though I have no desire (or ability) to maintain a system like his.

--vtMaps
                              4 x 235w Samsung, Outback fm60 & vfx3524 & mate, Midnite E-panel, four Interstate L16, Trimetric monitor, Honda eu2000

Comment

Working...
                              X