Sensus Watthour meters

kansas
kansas Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
Not sure where to post this. I found a broken carton containing four Sensus Watthour meters on the road in front of my farm. They appear to be the type of meters that would belong to a utility company and install on the outside of a building. I have four of them, two of which appear to be in perfect condition, the other two damaged. They are marked Benton Utilities, but I have called every Benton Utilities on the net with no luck. Take that back - there is a "Benton Utilities" that offers nationwide service but has no contact information.

They are marked CL200 240V 3W 1Kh FM2S 60Hz. iCon MXU Model 530-E

Is this type meter something of value to the solar community? If so, how to get them to someone that can use them? I sure don't need them, but hate to just trash them. Thanks
Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.

Comments

• sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Re: Sensus Watthour meters
    kansas wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this. I found a broken carton containing four Sensus Watthour meters on the road in front of my farm.

They are marked CL200 240V 3W 1Kh FM2S 60Hz. iCon MXU Model 530-E

If you're looking for a bit more information for them, http://www.ic.gc.ca/pics/lm/electric/ae/1145r5.pdf is a document from Sensus to "Measurement Canada" for approval.

They seem to be the basic power meter, and I know some have used a meter to check on how much energy their water heater used. You'd have to purchase and wire it for a meter box, but then you'd have that information. I think this meter also has wireless communication, but I don't know how an average person could use it.
  • kansas
    Re: Sensus Watthour meters
    If you're looking for a bit more information for them, http://www.ic.gc.ca/pics/lm/electric/ae/1145r5.pdf is a document from Sensus to "Measurement Canada" for approval.

They seem to be the basic power meter, and I know some have used a meter to check on how much energy their water heater used. You'd have to purchase and wire it for a meter box, but then you'd have that information. I think this meter also has wireless communication, but I don't know how an average person could use it.

Thanks sub3 (that's FAST!). The document link you provided includes pictures and other information that I won't have to provide, if anyone is interested in the meters. Bill
    Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.
  • kansas
    It's been suggested that I post a price for these meters. I would be happy to ship one or all of them to someone who needs them for the cost of packing and shipping +$20. I say the cost of packing if I have to buy a box to ship all four. Otherwise, I would probably have a box. So, buy one for $20 or buy them all for $20. I need to get them out of the way. Bill
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    I bought a few of those type of meters and installed one at each of my mini-split units and one on the output of my inverter. That way I can get a really good idea of consumption. I think I paid $20 for the meters and $25 for the meter box. Plus it is a good conversation piece.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • moesoo
    moesoo Registered Users Posts: 10
    hi: jerry bell here. yes!! i would like to buy one of the 'good' meters. i can send you a check or paypal. don't check the forum too much. cell phone is 858 two seven eight one zero four eight. thanks you much. jerry
  • moesoo
    hi: jerry bell here. yes!! i would like to buy one of the 'good' meters. i can send you a check or paypal. don't check the forum too much. cell phone is 858 two seven eight one zero four eight. thanks you much. jerry
  • moesoo
  • kansas
    Thanks for your interest, but I've shipped all of the meters to Florida.