No announcement yet.

Oxygen concentrator power requirements.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygen concentrator power requirements.

I just un-plugged my father's oxygen concentrator from the Kill-O-Watt. 4.42 kwh for a 12 hour period. The thing runs 24/7 so 8.82 for a 24 hour period. So far in searching the internet for specifications I have found that manufacturers don't advertise much in the way of power requirements. Hoping someone on the forum may have already researched this topic, and could provide some guidance.
    Outback GVFX3648
    MS Classic 150 with wizzbang,
    Outback PSX-240 Autotransformer
    MS Combiner box, and E-Panel
    3500 watts of PV
    464ah GC2 battery bank @ 48 volts
    Honda EM2500 Gen Set.

Re: Oxygen concentrator power requirements.

What sort of guidance? One that doesn't use such a whopping amount of power? That would be nice. That really is a lot of power use daily; no wonder they don't want to talk about it.

Comment

Wow, that's a pretty heavy consumption, roughly 370 watts continuous. That's major for an off grid system. Over 8.8 Kwh/24 hours, that's enough to power perhaps 9 new full size Energy Star fridges! That sucks!
      1900 watts PV, (1000 watts PV feeding MidNite Classic 150; 900 watts PV + 160 watts micro hydro both feeding into a single shared Morningstar TS-MPPT-60) ; Xantrex Pure Sine 1800/12 for heavy loads; Xantrex Pure Sine 1000/12 on 24/7 for everything else; six Rolls Surrette 2 volt L16 @ 12 volts.
      Domestic hot water totally provided by the sun 8 months out of every year via thermal panel.

Comment

Since the units are basically air compressors you can see why it would be a big power user. Hard to compress any significant volume of air without using a lot of power, and then having to run it all the time ...

I wonder if any supplier of these would mind if you brought along the Kill-A-Watt and measured a few in operation? If they were smart they'd see it as a selling feature; "this one uses the least energy for the volume of oxygen produced".

Comment

Interesting info on how it works. Looks like considering what it does/how it operates, perhaps it's no wonder it sucks back on the power.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_...entrators_work
          1900 watts PV, (1000 watts PV feeding MidNite Classic 150; 900 watts PV + 160 watts micro hydro both feeding into a single shared Morningstar TS-MPPT-60) ; Xantrex Pure Sine 1800/12 for heavy loads; Xantrex Pure Sine 1000/12 on 24/7 for everything else; six Rolls Surrette 2 volt L16 @ 12 volts.
          Domestic hot water totally provided by the sun 8 months out of every year via thermal panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Cariboocoot View Post
            What sort of guidance? One that doesn't use such a whopping amount of power? That would be nice. That really is a lot of power use daily; no wonder they don't want to talk about it.
            There are some portable units out there. This thing is a dinosaur, and a rental at that. Maybe there has been some progress. I'll call up some medical supply stores and see if they have some info.
            Outback GVFX3648
            3500 watts of PV
            Honda EM2500 Gen Set.

Comment

Originally posted by waynefromnscanada View Post
              Interesting info on how it works. Looks like considering what it does/how it operates, perhaps it's no wonder it sucks back on the power.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_...entrators_work
              Yeah. It has a compressor that doesn't ever shut down.
              Outback GVFX3648
              3500 watts of PV
              Honda EM2500 Gen Set.

Comment

Some discussion on a CPAP that may give you some ideas,

http://forum.solar-electric.com/show...highlight=cpap
                http://forum.solar-electric.com/show...highlight=cpap

another about a feeding pump

http://forum.solar-electric.com/show...ghlight=oxygen

hope they help
                100% Off Grid @ 51* 46' N lat 124* 44' W long

New House system: coming - 2 arrays @ 2240W
                #1) CL150 & Epanel 12V PVs 4S @140 W , 24V C&D AT-15P AGM @ 950Ah, Linksys wet54g - WiFi bridge, Cotek ST1500W inverter, TBS Omni-charger 30a-24v, ,
                #2) CL150 12V PVs 4S@140W , 24V C&D AT-15P AGM @ 950Ah
                to ADD: E-Panel and inverter
                Honda Eu3000is,Eu1000is

Guest cabin system: 3 - 70W panels to BS 2000e CC, with 2 - 100 ah 12v SAFT wet NiCd's , 600W TSW Inverter

Comment

CPAP's are tiny compared to O2 concentrators. No comparison at all, other than they both move air somewhat.
                  http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  http://tinyurl.com/LMR-BigLug
                  http://tinyurl.com/LMR-NiFe

Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph # 214505 ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV
                  Powerfab poletop PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe battery | 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV | Midnight ePanel || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT

Comment

you haven't mentioned what you have in mind with this info. are you on grid and just want backup power for it in case of an outage and if so then for how long? if you are looking at off the grid then as was said this is a huge draw of power constantly running and could compromise an offgrid pv system from supplying enough power for that and other items if not accounted for in the initial design.
                    NIEL

Comment

For now I have grid power. So yes this is back-up, and I do have a generator. My current plan is for 8 to 10 280 watt panels facing due south. My shed is still under construction. I will be using a generator transfer switch panel to power selected circuits. The bottom line on the oxygen concentrator is to find a more efficient one. There are portable battery powered units available that can be operated on AC. I don't have any specific power consumption numbers on those yet. I hope to find on line operator manuals to get an idea. The portable units are expensive. The grid is pretty reliable here in southern KY. A typical outage would be from thunder storms or in the winter an occasional ice storm. We lost the grid a couple of years ago for 18 days due to ice.
                      Outback GVFX3648
                      3500 watts of PV
                      Honda EM2500 Gen Set.

Comment

I wonder if a couple days of O2 in tanks would be a better backup, than generators & fuel? If you have bad storms, solar is not effective if skys are cloudy or panels smashed up from falling ice.
                        http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        http://tinyurl.com/LMR-BigLug
                        http://tinyurl.com/LMR-NiFe

Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph # 214505 ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV
                        Powerfab poletop PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe battery | 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV | Midnight ePanel || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT

Comment

Originally posted by mike95490 View Post
                          I wonder if a couple days of O2 in tanks would be a better backup, than generators & fuel? If you have bad storms, solar is not effective if skys are cloudy or panels smashed up from falling ice.
                          We have O2 tanks. Ice storms are not the same as hail storms. An ice storm is the result of freezing rain. I read somewhere that a Midnight Solar Classic charge controller can be told to melt snow or ice off of the PV array. (I may have dreamed that)
                          Outback GVFX3648
                          3500 watts of PV
                          Honda EM2500 Gen Set.

Comment

I think there was talk about melting ice off of solar panels--But, so far, that has never been implemented (as far as I know--which is not very far ).

-Bill
                            20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.

Comment

Originally posted by BB. View Post
                              I think there was talk about melting ice off of solar panels--But, so far, that has never been implemented (as far as I know--which is not very far ).

-Bill
                              Check out this link. http://www.wholesalesolar.com/produc...ontroller.html Here is a copy / paste of the statement.
                              "Another significant advance with the Classic is the ability to access your power system remotely via the internet. If you’re out of town, you can call in to the system to troubleshoot problems, and get it back in working order. If you have plenty of excess power, you can even turn on the snow-melting feature while you’re away. Remote control of Midnite power systems will be invaluable for installers, dealers and homeowners alike. "
                              Outback GVFX3648
                              3500 watts of PV
                              Honda EM2500 Gen Set.

Comment

Working...
                              X