FYI, Gas Stove Ignition.

Options
solorone
solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
If this is plowed ground then please remove.

Awhile back ( 1 or 2 years) there was a thread I can not find, about power consumption of gas stoves. At the time I wrote that I could not see any appreciable power usage with my stove. Now after rebuilding my aged system, I had a look the other day at all phases of using the oven. There must be an electronic igniter on this stove, there is a listed spark Module on the schematic, for unlike the gas dryer, there is absolutely none, Nada, no power fluctuations on the xantrex, or fluke.
The stove is a basic generic Whirlpool. No where on the 10 pages is there a model number ???? Must be on the back.

Comments

• Graham Parkinson
    Graham Parkinson Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Solorone

That would be good info to get - serial number of a readily available Whirlpool stove with no glow bar power consumption!

Hope you find the model number somewhere. I was thinking of getting one of the Unique brand stoves with spark ignitors but heard of some issues with them. Pity, as they seem like a good design. The other spark ignition stove I know about are the Premier brand stoves.

Graham

Offgrid in cloudy PNW

MacGyver'ed museum collection of panels, castoff batteries and generators - ready for state of art system install .... parade of surviving and dead generators: H650, Ryobi 900, Briggs and Scrap Iron 2000, H2200, H3000, Kubota 3500, Kubota 4500, Onan 7500

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We ended up with a 2011 Viking range with spark ignition for the oven and broiler (and the burners) doesn't even register on the inverter till the oven chassis cooling fan starts up :(
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• solorone
    Options
    Solorone

That would be good info to get - serial number of a readily available Whirlpool stove with no glow bar power consumption!

Hope you find the model number somewhere. I was thinking of getting one of the Unique brand stoves with spark ignitors but heard of some issues with them. Pity, as they seem like a good design. The other spark ignition stove I know about are the Premier brand stoves.

Graham

Remind me next week, and I might tackel the job when I get back.. After 10 years, I guess it could use a dusting behind it.
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options
    My stove like every other gas stove I have seen uses a piezo ignition.. it provides a high voltage spark to light the gas.. it gives a kick if you touch the pin while turning the gas supply knob.. As I found out when i took it apart to clean it..; they last for years and have never had one give trouble even on cheap Chinease single and 2 burner portable gas stoves
  • Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Options
    I have an older stove with pilot lights, no power needed. Not even a battery.
  • beachman
    beachman Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options
    Peerless makes good new stoves with pietzo ignition. No glowbars and a multi-spark for the burners and the oven. Ben's Discount in Nevada has many gas appliances including a wide selection of Peerless stoves. I can light these with a small battary pack.
  • solorone
    Options
    Alaska Man wrote: »
    I have an older stove with pilot lights, no power needed. Not even a battery.
    A wild guessamet, would put a gas stoves pilots at about 20 gallons of LP a year, maybe a lot more. For me that is $40, and I try to avoid that, having a gas stove for canning on the front porch, we keep the gas turned off when not in use.

• john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Iwas in a big hardware store this morning and looked at about 2 gas stoves ALL used piezo ignition.. Asked the salesman and he said he knew of no other gas lighting method ? 60yrs ago when child remember all gas stoves needed lighting with either matches or flint gas lighter. gas hot water systems used a pilot light.
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Options
    john p wrote: »
    Iwas in a big hardware store this morning and looked at about 2 gas stoves ALL used piezo ignition.. Asked the salesman and he said he knew of no other gas lighting method ? 60yrs ago when child remember all gas stoves needed lighting with either matches or flint gas lighter. gas hot water systems used a pilot light.

In the US most stoves use piezo for the gas burners and a glow bar for the oven. The glow bars use around 400w and are powered whenever the oven is trying to heat or maintain temp. They actually use quite a bit of power when cooking for a long time like 5 hrs for a turkey. I think mine used 1.2kwh last Thanksgiving.
  • Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Options
    solorone wrote: »
    A wild guessamet, would put a gas stoves pilots at about 20 gallons of LP a year, maybe a lot more. For me that is $40, and I try to avoid that, having a gas stove for canning on the front porch, we keep the gas turned off when not in use.

I used to just turn the gas bottle on and off when the stove wasn't is use. Then the wife found me and we got hitched and I got a new roommate, She decried the lighting of a match all the time or the need for a bended knee to light the oven. Seeing as how my pig headed ways drove the last one off, I relented to the extra $40/yr in propane.

I have learned. "If Momma ain't' happy, nobody is happy" to be a true statement of fact.