What Would make my New Batteries the Happiest?

Have 24 Rolls S-550 in three strings at 48 volts. Batteries were purchased in Sept 2014. In Jan 2015 batteries were assembled into 12 volt pairs and fully charged. Assembled into

48 volt configuration this month and brought online as a generator / charger / battery / inverter off grid system. DOD currently held less than 10% and recharged on a daily basis.

Question - At what level of DOD will my battery bank be until happiest until solar comes on line later this spring?

Note: This is an Ambient Temperature battery bank at 6700 feet in S/W Colorado.

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    100% SOC would be good, as maintained by a charger set to the recommended Float service voltage for your Rolls batteries.
    If you do not have constant power available, run your generator to bring them up to 95% or better. That may require something ranging from daily to monthly depending on the self-discharge characteristic of your batteries.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • HandyBob
    HandyBob Banned Posts: 31
    This question should go to Rolls... (not needed. -BB)
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    people can't read i guess.
    the question was about depth of discharge when recharging with generator instead of solar.
    the answer is that the dod is the same you're just using a different source to recharge from.
    you do not have to waste fuel and run them up to 100 percent charge every day, but should go above 80 and make sure they are 100 once a week. always check with hydrometer to be sure.

when it comes to advice, mine is still the best no matter what anyone else says. ignore it at your ow risk, criticize it at your peril.

this post has required a lot of time and effort on my part as i shattered my right arm falling on ice last week. i'm in no mood for .... (not happy right now. -BB)
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Bummer about the arm..
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Marc, very sorry to hear about your arm. My wife shattered one wrist, then the other a couple years later.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset