Morningstar Alarm idenitification

Dave
Dave Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭
Second morning with my new Tristar MPPT 60 and I have an Alarm showing on the TS-M-2 meter. Under Diagnostics, I find the Alarm designated as "21". The meter map only povides verbal description of Alarms and I cannot find any information anywhere to correlate an alarm number to a specific problem. Anybody know where to find this info?
12 * 300 W (10 fixed rooftop, 2 movable pole mount), Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60, Magnum 4448 PAE, 64 200Ah CALB in 4p16s arrangement with 16 LED Balancers and a Choice BMS300 (It is lousy and I don't recommend but it provides high and low voltage cutoff)

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Does this Modbus document help?

http://www.soligent.net/uploads/products/24886_7.pdf

"21" translates into "1 0101" binary.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave
    Dave Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Thanks BB. Honestly, that doesn't mean anything to me. I tried (and failed) to customize battery settings this morning so I powered down the CC so that I could change the switch settings. When it powered back up, the alarm was gone. Still, I'd like to know what it meant and to have some reference in case I get future alarms. I am surprised that others haven't had this experience?

After going through MSView to try and customize settings, I now have many questions, for example it's not clear whether the default Temp Comp (shows as -0.03 V/degC) is per cell? That seems like a strange number - usually see something like -5 mV/cell/degC and I can't see how that equates to their default value. In other words, does the input value need to be per cell?

I don't want to mess up my batteries by leaving them on generic L-16 settings but there are a number of input parameters that I either don't understand or am not sure the implications of changing them one way or the other and am not sure if the battery manufacturer will know either. Maybe I should post these questions on the battery threads?
    12 * 300 W (10 fixed rooftop, 2 movable pole mount), Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60, Magnum 4448 PAE, 64 200Ah CALB in 4p16s arrangement with 16 LED Balancers and a Choice BMS300 (It is lousy and I don't recommend but it provides high and low voltage cutoff)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Or here--Up to you.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Dave,

Often, CCs default to the most conservative charge values. These values are frequently those best matching Sealed batteries. -.03 mV/ cell is not uncommon for AGMs and perhaps for Gels. Flooded batteries usually use -5 mV/cell for Temp Comp.

I finally gave up on Morningstar CCs, as too many of their Error Codes were undocumented, and DIP switches seem SO 1970 to me.

If your batteries are Flooded, and fairly new, would not worry too much about hurting them with somewhat improper charge parameters for a few days or weeks.

FWIW. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Roger Thoms
    Roger Thoms Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Dave wrote: »
    Second morning with my new Tristar MPPT 60 and I have an Alarm showing on the TS-M-2 meter. Under Diagnostics, I find the Alarm designated as "21". The meter map only povides verbal description of Alarms and I cannot find any information anywhere to correlate an alarm number to a specific problem. Anybody know where to find this info?

Dave, did you ever get this worked out? I have the same alarm code and after contacting MS I found out the it I a communications error and that I need to do two firmware upgrades. Here's a link to the downloads you need. http://support.morningstarcorp.com/search/?document_section=Software&search_product=96

You also need a computer with a serial port or a serial/sub adapter. MS recommends either Triplite or TrendNet adapters although other brands may work.

I had borrow go to Phoenix and borrow a laptop and download the software and firmware updates. I'm back in Flagstaff and will report back on how everything went. May take a day or two since I'm not 100% sure I have the right cable and adapter to hook the computer up to the TriStar. Maybe be going back to town won't happen till Friday.

Roger

(4) SolarWorld Sunmodule Plus SW 280 mono, (4) SolarWorld Sunmodule Plus SW 285 mono, MidNite Solar MNPV6, IronRidge ground mount, (2) Morningstar TriStar TS-MPPT-60,  HUB-1,  TriStar TS-RM-2, Magnum Energy MagnaSine MS4024-PAE, MMP250-30D,  ME-ARC, (4) UPG UB4D 12v
  • Roger Thoms
    OK, I upgraded the firmware on my TriStar MPPT 60 charge controller. It went surprisingly smoothly, the alarm code is gone, at least for several hours now, time will tell. If it reappeares I'll report back.

Here are the specific serial/usb adapters that MS is recommending, TrendNet(TU-S9) or Tripp Lite(U-209-000-R). One other thing is you will probably need a serial cable with a compact connectors because there isn't much room in the TriStar junction box. At least in my installion since I have two controllers and all the wires pass through the first controller to the second one. Things are definitely tight in there.

Roger

(4) SolarWorld Sunmodule Plus SW 280 mono, (4) SolarWorld Sunmodule Plus SW 285 mono, MidNite Solar MNPV6, IronRidge ground mount, (2) Morningstar TriStar TS-MPPT-60,  HUB-1,  TriStar TS-RM-2, Magnum Energy MagnaSine MS4024-PAE, MMP250-30D,  ME-ARC, (4) UPG UB4D 12v
  • pyana1
    pyana1 Solar Expert Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Description: The SunSaver MPPT and TriStar MPPT have several unidentified / numbered Alarm states. Numbered alarm information is as follows: Alarm 19 = Power On Reset (the controller has recently been reset/rebooted) Alarm 20 = LVD Condition (an LVD – Low Voltage Disconnect – event has occurred) Alarm 21 = Log Timeout Alarm (the controller’s internal logger has not been able to write a log entry for the past 24hrs)
  • pyana1
    pyana1 Solar Expert Posts: 39 ✭✭
    The SunSaver MPPT and TriStar MPPT have several unidentified / numbered Alarm states. Numbered alarm information is as follows:

Alarm 19 = Power On Reset (the controller has recently been reset/rebooted)
    Alarm 20 = LVD Condition (an LVD – Low Voltage Disconnect – event has occurred) Alarm 21 = Log Timeout Alarm (the controller’s internal logger has not been able to write a log entry for the past 24hrs)
  • Roger Thoms
    pyana1 wrote: »
    Description: Alarm 21 = Log Timeout Alarm (the controller’s internal logger has not been able to write a log entry for the past 24hrs)

Thanks for the info, this is certainly more descriptive than that answer I got from MS, which was simply a communications error. More importantly though is the fact that a firmware up grade is needed to solve the problem. I cleared the alarm several time and it kept coming back. I was at the house for two weeks after I upgraded the firmware and so far so good.

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes get "ALARM" showing on my TS-MPPT-60, and most times I figure it's because at that particular time there's a conflict with the MidNite controller. Battery voltage is fine, so I ignore it and sure enough, later in the day the alarm is gone and may not show up again for another 6 months.
    In general the two controllers work fine together. They don't always agree, but that causes no problems as far as the battery bank is concerned, so all is fine. If one CC switches to FLOAT sooner than the other for example, the end result is fine in my case. At this moment, just past noon, the TS is in FLOAT and producing zero amps, while the MidNite is providing just enough to supply ongoing relatively small loads. If for example the mini-split kicks in, the TS will also kick in to help with the added load. Sometimes it's the other way around and the TS supplies ongoing smaller loads while the MidNight takes a rest.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you used a computer attached to the web server ethernet connection in the Tristar ? The daily log shows any errors, and lingering over the colored digit, shows a pop-up with the error in english.
    I've had no conflicts with my tristar and classic on the same battery bank
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• scrubjaysnest
    scrubjaysnest Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    pyana1 said:
    The SunSaver MPPT and TriStar MPPT have several unidentified / numbered Alarm states. Numbered alarm information is as follows:

Alarm 20 = LVD Condition (an LVD – Low Voltage Disconnect – event has occurred) Alarm 21 = Log Timeout Alarm (the controller’s internal logger has not been able to write a log entry for the past 24hrs)

Good to know, now I know where the alarm 19(unknown) on my TS-45 is coming from. Coincided with a power down while rewiring.
  • mike95490
    pyana1 said:

Alarm 20 = LVD Condition (an LVD – Low Voltage Disconnect – event has occurred)
    Alarm 21 = Log Timeout Alarm (the controller’s internal logger has not been able to write a log entry for the past 24hrs)
    I recently downloaded the MSView software, and included in it are all the firmwares for the controllers.  But the one for the Tristar MPPT was an old one, that caused the data logger bug, and gave me alarm 21 for several days till tech support explained what happened, All the other date inside was ok, but I lost a couple days data debugging it,
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• SoggyPaws
    SoggyPaws Registered Users Posts: 5
    Hi guys, I'm having trouble getting MSView working with a direct connect (using a crossover cable) between the computer and the TS-60.  I put a detailed post about it at the end of this thread:  http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/13588/technical-question-on-advanced-programing-of-tristar-ts-mppt-60-controller 

Just wonder if any of you have figured out what the issue is.  It must be pretty simple, because I am able to read data from the controller.

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Sherry
    On a sailboat in the Philippines, 800 watts with Morningstar TS-60 (new installation)
  • mike95490
    I don't know if you can program (I know you can read) via the ethernet port.  I think you have to flip a jumper ?  to enable write access via ethernet ? (or is that midnight classic?)  I'm away from my home for another week, so I can't go out and look