Battery question

Options
solargirl
solargirl Solar Expert Posts: 34 ✭✭
To the Mods or anyone who can help, BB I have spokewith you before, I need help with my old surrettes I was going to try to save the good ones, But I don't even know how many volts they are My late husband would know that.

So I had a total of 16 batteries and we had them hooked up for 48volts, I always thought that they were 2 volts each but the math isn't right then, they have been sitting for 2 months and they read 5.99 average so are they 6 volt batteries?? the have 3 places on top to fill with water. Can anyone help?

Thankyou in advance as you can tell I am not very technical

Soalrgirl

Comments

• sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Battery question

They are definitely 6V batteries. Every PbA cell is 2V, so with 3/battery that is 6V. The math does work out. To get 48V you would need 8 batteries of 6V. Since you have 16 batteries, that is two batteries in parallel, then the groups of two wired in series.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

In general, each cell has one filling cap. Each cell is around 2.0 volts,

Three cells in series == 2 volts * 3 cells = 6 volts per battery.

48 volt bank / 6 volts per battery = 8x "6 volt" batteries per series string.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solargirl
    solargirl Solar Expert Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks guys I am having the workers load up batteries but I wanted to save any good one to make a 12 volt system ..
    THANKYOU