mix and match panels

Hey. I have been off grid for 4 years ,learning and expanding as I go. I have a chance of getting some Sharp 216 watt panels,good price. I currently have 6 Mitsubishi 150 watt panels. Can the two panels work together or will it be like batteries and the Sharps would only work to the 150 watts. I run through mx60 with 12 Surrette batteries ,outback GVFX3.5.I also have a Bergey XL1 wind turbine.Hoping to get some excellent feedback . thanks .

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: mix and match panels

We will need the specs off the panels to be able to give some response at all..

EJ

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

We need to know the exact model numbers of the panels you want to get and what you have... Need to know Voc, Vmp, and Imp for all of them. Typically, it is best if you match parallel string voltages Vmp within 10% and for serial connections the Imp matches within 10%--The further the miss-match, the more power loss.

Also, what current series/parallel configuration, and your battery bank voltage (it would be nice to know you bank Amp*Hour capacity too).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

The easiest way to mix different panels is to use a separate charge controller for each panel set. That way you'll have multiple arrays and each one will be of like panels.
    Hey, I said it was the easiest - not the cheapest!
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

On the other hand, in a parallel string, if the Vmp is off more than 10% the only result will be that you will waste some power, as the string will assume the Vmp of the lowest panel if I understand it correctly. In most cases that 10% is ~1.5 -2 volts and most 12 volt nominal panels will be in the 17-18 volt ranges,, although there are some out there that are a bit higher.

In a parallel configuration, it the panel wattage really isn't a problem to mix and match. I am not competent to opine on series config issues. As Bill suggests, the consequences is simply going to be a loss of power.

Tony
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    mix and match panels

Hey guys. Hello from sunny Canada. I have been reading this forum for a while , wish i had found it 4 years ago when i first took the plunge. I wanted to ask , i have 6 mitsubishi 150 panels , and can get a couple of Sharp 216 [good price] . will the wattage work like batteries, stronger reduce to weaker ? Right now I have 6 mitsubishi panels, aBergey XL 1,000 wind genny. Outback 3.5 inverter,Outback MX60 charge controller, 12 Surrette s530 batteries thanks
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

My Mitsubishi panels are VOC 30..0V. VMP 23.4V . IMP 6.62A The sharps are VOC36.5V VMP 28.9V IMP 7.48A I have a 24 volt system with the panels wired for 48 volts. I hope this helps so i can cut back on back up genny . thanks again
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Either you started 2 post with same question or someone moved my answer. I tryed using 2 lower powered panels with 12 higher powered panels and didn,t gain any power. The 2 lower powered panels pulled the 12 higher panels to match them. Got about the same amount of power with 12 of the higher powered panels by themselvesas I do adding the 2 lower powered panels. My electrical specs. are lot closer than what you want to do. S:Dlarvic
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Combined the two threads...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset