Help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Help!

Basically the same product, your 5V looks to not have as a robust leak proof seam as standing seam would

http://www.gulfcoastsupply.com/product_5v.htm

vs.

http://www.gulfcoastsupply.com/product_seam-dbl-lock-panel.html

Regardless, let the professionals handle this, make sure your selected installer knows the construction and be prepared to have to have your roofer come back ... your doing this all backwards .. I.E. you should have had the racking and mounts designed, approved and permitted before you had the new roof installed.

One other thought, if you have the land, its easier on the cost and permits to have ground mounting .. if it turns into to much costs or concerns mounting to the roof, ground mount is all around a better choice, better performance, easy to clean and maintain and doesn't require PE approved mounts which means lower costs
  • CaptTurbo
    CaptTurbo Solar Expert Posts: 66 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The only ground space would mean giving up my garden. That garden provides all the veggies we eat and besides, it scratches the "farmer's itch" for me.

Bottom line for me is that the installer and roofer agree on a method that does not void my warranty and does not leak over the life of the array and the roof..

I wish it was a standing seem roof. That second link that you provided shows a cool way to mount rails with no roof penatrations. Unfortunately this won't work on 5-V.
  • CaptTurbo
    Options
    Re: Xantrex XW GT Connection

Take what I say with a grain of salt but I think the battery over charging problem is over blown if you simply set the XW charger (at least with the XW6048) to charge block and let the solar charge controllers bring you back up at daylight. If you need to you can always run a genset into AC2
  • Solar Guppy
    Options

CaptTurbo, this has nothing to do with the internal charger of the XW-6048

When an inverter is operating, it draws energy from the battery, if you have something raising the output of the inverter will reverse the flow back into the battery's, that's what is being discussed and is called AC coupling.

The only protection in the XW-6048 is the battery over voltage protection, which maybe to late to prevent permanent damage to the battery's
  • CaptTurbo
    Options

Well, it's no big surprise to me that I don't understand about this current reversal to the batteries since I know that I have a lot more to learn about this. I saw mentioned earlier that the over voltage protection programing could be set below full voltage so perhaps it could work to protect the bank? I spent the weekend reading the PDF for the XW-6048 and it seemed this way to me.

I'm wrestling with a similar issue and it seems that I will probably not use the lovely new GT inverters that I bought but will instead use pair of XW-6048s or go with the Sunnyboy / Sunny Island inverters.
  • CaptTurbo
    Options
    The XW-6048's will cost you half the SMA and have more features ... Since you already have one, seems like the logical choice

I would certainly prefer to go with the Xantrex set up but Solar Source doesn't have much if any familiarity with the XW-6048 where as they do have at least a little experience with the Sunnyboy / Sunny Island stuff.

Would the Sunny set up eliminate the concerns of over charging? Thanks.
  • Solar Guppy
    Options

Time for Solar Source to learn the XW stuff ... Since your looking at a pair of XW-6048's I assume your going to just have charge controllers for the Solar to battery regulation and the XW's for GT and backup. Its a very clean install when you use the Xantrex accessories and probably 10-15K lower cost.

You can buy all the stuff from sunelec in miami on the XW's , pretty sure all the solar related stuff is tax exempt

I would never use the SMA stuff, ridiculously over priced and doesn't even do split-phase in a single SI. I think there are 4-5 of us on the forum from Florida that have XW-6048's ... a great and flexible inverter/charger
  • CaptTurbo
    Options
    Time for Solar Source to learn the XW stuff ... Since your looking at a pair of XW-6048's I assume your going to just have charge controllers for the Solar to battery regulation and the XW's for GT and backup. Its a very clean install when you use the Xantrex accessories and probably 10-15K lower cost.

You can buy all the stuff from sunelec in miami on the XW's , pretty sure all the solar related stuff is tax exempt

I would never use the SMA stuff, ridiculously over priced and doesn't even do split-phase in a single SI. I think there are 4-5 of us on the forum from Florida that have XW-6048's ... a great and flexible inverter/charger

Thank you for your thoughts. That is how I hope to go but Solar Source really isn't comfortable with doing either battery based grid tie system. I'm a little surprised since they make a big point of having been in this business for 26 years.

They told me that we will probably have to hire an engineer (more $$$) to give us his blessing before going forward with permitting. I don't want to seem down on Solar Source but I went to them because of the good reference provided here and the fact that they are a long established business. I guess I thought that they would more fully understand putting a system like this together.

I still have my worries about dealing with the potential of over charging the small battery bank so perhaps their concerns have merit. Thanks again for all the imput.

I just realized that I'm hyjacking this thread. I'm sorry and would understand if my posts are deleted. I forgot which thread I was on.
  • Solar Guppy
    Options
    CaptTurbo wrote: »
    Thank you for your thoughts. That is how I hope to go but Solar Source really isn't comfortable with doing either battery based grid tie system. I'm a little surprised since they make a big point of having been in this business for 26 years.

Well GT has only been around for a few years, I was the first permitted system in central Florida in 2003, SS has been in business what they advertise but in Florida, its few and far between for generic GT installations and for what your thinking about I doubt there is more than a couple ( if any ) system installed in Florida that does AC coupling ( Sunny Island )

Solar Source is 100% doing the right thing in saying they will have to hire an engineer to design and they will install a custom system that is pretty complex, thats probably the first honest and correct answer you have gotten from a company since you started your project.

Battery systems are a huge pain as it requires custom or expensive racking for the battery's, lots of custom high amperage wiring , breakers, enclosures, dealing with charge controllers and 4-6X more wiring on the Array side, likely the building department won't have a clue which means lots of extra hours for your installer teaching the building department whats right and wrong.

If your looking at dual XW-6048's you'll need at least a 1000ah battery bank and it also going to get messy with you current service panels as loads will have to be moved from the service panel to a new sub panel at output of the XW's

I can offer suggestions;

1) Define on paper what you want exactly, what is a want vs a need as well.
    2) Listen to the professionals and they can properly build to what you want
    3) Open your wallet, this will be a very expensive installation .. in general terms a turnkey job is 2X the parts costs, and you haven't bought all the parts yet

At some point to go any further, you will have to invest significant funds to continue. No Installer will start do a plan with out being paid for the system design work.

If you do go with Solar Source, you can tell Wayne the owner he can contact me if he has questions specific to the Xantrex products, they are best available, Wayne uses SMA because his distributor stocks them and with the volumes so low in Florida it makes no business sense to use more than one manufacture for PV, unless someone like you comes along and needs a very specialized system

In other trades, refrigeration as an example, the manufactures require you have a license to purchase there products, its to prevent unqualified people from damaging the equipment or themselves.

A person with basic electric skill could probably wire GridTie and get it working, battery based systems have the real potentional of being leathal, no BS ... a 48V battery bank with unlimited short circuit current is probably the most deadly thing I have ever worked on.

I have no connection with Solar Source except of having professional met the owner a few times, everything I have heard when I meet people in the business is nothing but complements on the business he runs.

I hope this gives you some honest guidance on how to proceed and if anyone makes it sound easy, don't believe a single word they say, they will be just like the place you bought the parts from, all they want is your money.
  • CaptTurbo
    Options

Mr. Guppy, I sure do enjoy your continued imput. I wish this conversation was on my original "Help" thread (or perhaps we should start a new one?) because I hate to be hyjacking this one. That said, this is too important to me to not stay engaged.

If you are interested in staying up to date and continue to supply your splendid inpute we can take this back to my original thread (or again, a new one) where I joined this fine forum.

I don't want to be in "bad form" or abuse this forum.

SS's electrician for this job called me today and told me that we were on the same page but that we would need to wire the system up one way to meet the local inspectors requirements and then make some changes for the system to do what we want it to do after getting the pass. Please keep in mind that we are not talking about doing anything that is not up to standard or unsafe but simply getting past local hurdles if I understood him correctly.

"If your looking at dual XW-6048's you'll need at least a 1000ah battery bank and it also going to get messy with you current service panels as loads will have to be moved from the service panel to a new sub panel at output of the XW's" <~ From Mr. Guppy.

I don't understand this and more importantly I don't think SS does either. When two XW-6048s are linked together they function as one and only one will control charging. Charge block can be used to even eliminate that and the XW-MPPT60-150 CCs can take care of that detail. SS is planing to install a subpanel.

The battery bank in this system was to remain small because I don't need to use it to do much more then drive the XW-6048s. I'm grid tied here with a fairly reliable FPL service so the job of this system is to allow me to run the house during daytime hours off the solar array during long periods of grid failures due to our hurricanes. I want to be able to run my 4.5 ton Train AC during peak insolation to cool the house down and to be able to keep some hot water for showers. After sun down I can still fire up my 5000 watt genset to power the fridge/freezers in the house and the window AC unit (bedroom) to get me through the night and let the sun rise and begin to power this place through the next day. Long paragraph I know, but what I was trying to get to is asking you why you are saying that I need such a huge battery bank?

Can we take this conversation to the other thread or if you prefer I can start a new one (give me a name) and any or all are welcome to come and participate. I just don't want to continue to take over and ruin another members thread. Once we move the MODS can nuke my part of this one. My apologies to the OP of this thread.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

CaptTurbo,

I moved your portion of the discussion:

To here...

Let me know if I missed anything.

-Bill "moderator" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy
    Options

To do gridtie only, you need about 400ah for each inverter. This would allow the XW-6048 to sell its full 6kw, with a smaller battery bank, the AC ripple on the battery's so bad the charge controllers will fail to track the Mppt correctly. What happens is the AC is a peak draw @120hz and that make the battery voltage move up and down, to much and the charge controllers can't do the Mppt tracking as the output is changing more than the tracking perturb.

If your planning on a Pair of XW-6048s, then you would need to double the ah of the battery banks. Now if your not going to be selling 12kw, you could go down a little bit ... but 400ah per inverter is still a pretty small bank. maybe a few hours of backup at load at best. Now I'm not talking about separate banks, just larger total ah to support two inverters

Also, if you going to use dual XW's, make sure you get the BOS ( balance of system ) box. It's perfect for dual XW's and has the wiring and breakers all ready installed. Very slick and makes assembly go much easier as well as passing inspections.
  • CaptTurbo
    Options

I guess I'm in a bind in this case. I had intended to increase the battery bank a few years from now as the economy and my income came back. Actually, I was hoping to buy a large bank of nickel/iron batteries when the cash flow returned. I was hoping to start a thread about the nickel -iron batteries after I got this install completed.

I certainly want my system to be able to sell any amount of excess generation that I might have. Thanks, I don't like what I'm hearing but facts are what I need.

PS: Thank you for putting things back where they belong BB.
  • Solar Guppy
    Options

I haven't priced AGM's is a while but I got my 610ah ( 3 strings of 205ah, 24 battery's total ) from the battery place here in Lakeland for about 5K, BatteryUSA I think its called, so in the scope of things its not anywhere near the costs of other parts of the system.

Battery's are one part to get local for sure and most large citys have battery warehouses.

You can always get your system installed and signed off as pure gridtie and then build what you have the parts for the XW as a grid charged UPS, only thing you would need is another GT inverter but if I understand what you have , thats the simplest and lowest cost way to go forward.
  • Solar Guppy
    Options

A couple of thoughts on your battery size;

Your T105's are golf cart battery's, ~200ah , which means they would under ideal condition provided 5ah for 20hours ... that ~475 watt-hour load. You really shouldn't use the battery much below 50% if regularly discharged and 80% ever or you will quickly kill the battery's

You mentioned you want to be able to run the AC if the power is out, a 4.5 ton unit thats a typical Seer 10 will pull about 5kw steady state and probably more than 12kw on the start-up surge. So your asking a battery pack thats rated for 5ah per hour to supply 250 amps on start-up surge.

Batterys have whats called internal resistance, as you increase the amp draw the voltage drops and this drop is INTERNAL to the battery's, meaning the voltage drop times the current is turned into heat, not energy that can provided energy to the load. If you load these little battery's with start-up surges or even steady state loads, they will last less than 1 hour and even if you manage to get the AC started when fully charged, 10-15 minutes later they couldn't even do that as when the AC kicks in the inverter will shutdown with a under voltage fault. I know this as I have first hand tried to start and run my 4 ton AC with the same amount of battery's you have.

Even if you AC Couple, the XW has to burden the majority of the load to maintain UL1741 quailty frequency and voltage otherwise the GT inverters will trip ( 3 bad 60hz cycles or about 50ms ) and shutdown. There is no way around having a large battery bank to run multi kilowatt inductive loads

One last suggestion, the battery place in Lakeland has racks and racks of used or date code expired battery's ( I'm sure you can find one near you, look in the yellow pages ) They might only have 20-50% of new capacity, but its dirt cheap. When I bought my AGM's, they had 12V 100ah, 2 year old never used AGMs for 25 bucks each. I didn't get them and wish I had, but there is always something laying around they will sell cheap, forklift battery's are another source of low cost. Maybe not a good choice of daily cycling, but great for the once a year outage. For a few hundred you should be able to have a 1000ah 48V pack going this route

Oh and stick to AGM if you can, wetcells, especially if they just float all the time will use lots of water and you need to check them weekly for the levels in the battery's. Number one failure of wetcell in this configuration is people don't check the water level and the plates get exposed, short out and die.

Hope some of this helps!
  • CaptTurbo
    Options

I never planned to run the central air from the batteries. I thought I could run it off the solar array during strong peak sun. I had hoped to just cool the house off mid day for the pets this way.

In the past storm (hurricane) outages I have run the refridgeration and a 8000 BTU window unit AC in the bedroom off a 5000 watt gas genset. I thought that I could use the genny to assist the solar when running the big AC unit by hooking it up to the AC2 on the XW-6048.

Forgot to mention that I would not be using the three stage charging but instead be using the 2 stage setting with no float charging. I thought that I might even have the XW-6048's charge system disabled via the charge block feature and rely instead on the charging from the XW-MPPT60-150 charge controllers.

May I PM you?
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I helped out submarathon3 when he did his system last year in Bartow

My rule is if you help someone, then next time, its there turn to help the next fellow

Good luck!

Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread for two weeks. But Solar Guppy is 100% correct, without his help, the equipment would probably still be sitting in the garage. He is EXTREMELY knowledgeable and I am extremely fortunate that I live within running distance of him and he would spend the time showing me around his setup. So hopefully I can help out here.

It is somewhat the same situation I had with the installer/electrician, who was supposed to be a good friend and also an expert on solar. He was able to sell me the equipment, but after that he was hard to find. I stayed up until 3 a.m. many nights figuring out about this.

I too have the XW6048 with battery backup. I figured out the system and I figured out the wiring layout and I pulled the permit myself. Once again, this was supposed to help since the "installer/electrician" wouldn't have to do it.

Now, many times they say "Go against Solar Guppy's advice at your own peril." I tried to keep that motto in mind as I proceeded. I did choose a Rolls-Surrette battery over his suggested AGM battery. I got the batteries at a good price though from DC Batteries in Miami. Part of the reasoning was as it combined with the Federal 30% solar rebates, it was much better buying an expensive 15-year battery as opposed to an AGM 7-year battery.

I would also strongly suggest contacting Cauley Electric here in Bartow. You can visit their website at: http://www.cauleyelectrical.net/ They go all over the state of Florida, and even into Georgia and Alabama I think. The owner, Mr. Cauley, and Brett and the crew know about PV and Xantrex inverters. They also listened to what I wanted and did it. When I said I wanted to oversize the wiring by several sizes, they didn't make any remarks like "we've never done that before, that's ridiculous," instead they said they would be happy to do it and it would definitely reduce losses. Also, the price they charged for the work was definitely fair, and they will stand behind what they install.

Now the roofing, that was a fiasco. The roofer who put the roof on the house had me contact one of his roofers as a side job. This guy was supposed to have done several installs, and he was a real nice guy talking to him. However, when he started putting the brackets up on the roof, I wondered why he hadn't snapped a chalk line. He said he knew what he was doing. Well, the first dozen were pretty straight, and then they started to vary slightly. By the time he was on the 80th one, the rows looked like a sidewinder snake in Arizona. So I had to get up on the roof and loosen the misaligned ones and get them in line as best I could. It turned out to be a pretty fair job considering what I started out with. I also found out that the rails can take a bit of flex, they don't have to be perfect like I would have had them if I had done it myself.

He was supposed to come back and put the panels up on the rails, since he had only been paid to put the brackets in up until that point. I waited and waited and waited and then he didn't show up. I guess the rest of the money wasn't worth the time he would have to spend finishing the job. So finally, after waiting a month I was desperate. Remember, simultaneously I was having a major problem getting the installer/electrician to come out too. So one day I got the ladder, leaned it up against the house, and lifted the 21 panels up to the roof myself. I think if they had even weighed a pound more or been an inch bigger I wouldn't have been able to do it. It was a real challenge with the wind too, even with just a slight breeze it would catch the panel as I was going backward up the ladder holding the panel. But now they are up there perfectly aligned because I spent the extra time doing it.

Now the installer/electrician was another story. First, to fill out the rebate you need his license number. I figured I would save everybody some time, just go on the computer and get it. Well, that was interesting. It said "Inactive." OOOH, that can't be good. So I called him about it and he said, "Wow, I didn't think I had to renew it for another year or so." OK, so then everything has to stop, because for Florida it must be a certified electrician installing it, and now technically he wasn't and I couldn't risk being denied the rebate because of him. Now, he didn't seem too worried about it, and within a month he had taken care of that. So finally he could come out and start installing the conduit, a basic task for an electrician. So he gets here, looks at the conduit I had bought, and starts trying to figure out what angles to bend it so it could be installed. Then he says the ominous statement, "Wow, I haven't done this in awhile." Then he says he didn't bring the right tool and we'd have to figure out another time. In the mean time, the guys down at the electrical supply store where I'm buying all the conduit and wiring are telling me, "Fire the electrician." So finally I didn't know what to do. Once again Solar Guppy came through with great advice, saying "Just move forward every day and don't worry about everything. If you do it wrong, it isn't a disaster, just go back and do it again." So that gave me the bit of courage I needed, and started doing it myself. And I did a relatively good job for a non-certified electrician with installing the conduit. However, another BIG mistake. The NEC book said the conduit could serve as the Equipment Grounding Conductor. Solar Guppy said that probably wouldn't work, and I better talk to the local head inspector. He also said that there must be an EGC, just conduit wouldn't be acceptable. That was a major disaster because I had done all the calculations and didn't have enough room in the conduit for another wire and still be within the NEC rules. At that point, I figured I better get somebody who can help figure this out, or I'd be working on it for another 6 months.

The guys at Cauley Electric came out, looked at it, and jumped right on it. The crew wired the solar panels up on the roof, figured out about getting the wiring into the attic, which I couldn't, and did very professional work with all the wiring and running another set of conduit. So since there were now two sets of conduit, I could really upsize the wiring, which they were able to pull through without any problems, another task I figured that I couldn't do myself.

So yes, after all of this I ended up with the great system. But I had to get through a bit of ridiculousness with some of the people I dealt with. But really, I have been so thankful that so many people on this forum have been very helpful.
  • trkarl
    trkarl Solar Expert Posts: 33
    Options
    I never planned to run the central air from the batteries. I thought I could run it off the solar array during strong peak sun. I had hoped to just cool the house off mid day for the pets this way.

The only problem with this approach is clouds. Though the system may be cranking out 8kw at mid day, a cloud could go over and next thing you know you are pulling a steady 100 amps or so off the bank for several minutes or more and that is not an ideal situation for a 200 amp/hr battery bank.

Murphy's law scenarios always throw wrenches into the best laid plans.
  • Solar Guppy
    Options

The biggest issue is startup of the compressor, almost 100% of the surge has to be handled by the XW-6048, if it sags, the GT's drop off line within 50ms and its all on that wimpy little battery pack to push out 12kw+
  • CaptTurbo
    Options

Well, so it shuts down and I need to crank up the genny. Actually, I could easily run the genset each and every time this very rare situation presented itself. Remember, this is only during periods when we are suffering a long stretch without the grid due to a Hurricane that it would become an issue and I would be on site watching things.

The real concern now is what Mr. SolarGuppy has presented about the system possibly not functioning even with the grid up (if I understood him correctly) with the small battery bank not allowing the CCs to track and sell efficiently.
  • Solar Guppy
    Options

If your only connecting 2.5kw thru a single charge controller, your 200ah battery should be OK, that about the limit for 200ah bank

I assume the other 7.5k will be pure GT

It was the talk about going 100% to the battery's then GT from dual XW-6048's that would require more Ah, but that also could be handled with cost effective used battery's
  • CaptTurbo
    Options

Actually it's a bit confusing for me SG. Hard to describe in this back and forth but I'm trying. Solartron sold me a system with a SunnyBoy5000 GT inverter, a PVP2500 GT inverter, XW60-150 CC, and the XW-6048.

Of the 44 230 watt panels, 12 were to be sent through the CC to the battery bank / XW-6048. The rest were to be sent to the GT inverters.

It was said that this system would work using the batteries to send the signwave to the GT inverters so I could use the full solar array during daytime during grid failures. This was what my goal was.

It seems that it might be hard to get code approved with this direction here in Lee County so I was going to go with twin XW-6048 inverters which brings me to the current revelation from you that I would need much more battery ah to get the CCs to track and sell the excess generation. Again, this is if I have understood you correctly.

I bought the 8 T-105s brand new since I thought it was all I would need because Xantrex tells us in their literature that only 100ah of battery is required for each inverter and my interest is not now nor ever has been to be able to run much in the way of loads off the battery bank.

It seems to me that I made a mistake blowing the $1000.00 on the brand new Trojans that I could have put towards either cheap used batteries or the NI-FE batteries that I hoped to end up with when my finances revived. I've read many times here and elsewhere not to mix battery ages or types.

Solar Source was supposed to call me today but did not. I'm trying to keep the faith but it isn't easy. I have worries and questions. I hope they have the answers when they get around to calling to give me an update.
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually it's a bit confusing for me SG. Hard to describe in this back and forth but I'm trying. Solartron sold me a system with a SunnyBoy5000 GT inverter, a PVP2500 GT inverter, XW60-150 CC, and the XW-6048.

Of the 44 230 watt panels, 12 were to be sent through the CC to the battery bank / XW-6048. The rest were to be sent to the GT inverters.

It seems like a very overly complicated system to me too. Because the XW6048 will accomplish everything you are trying to do without having any GT inverter. Solar Guppy is very enthusiastic about the XW inverter, and now that I have one too I can also say it works great. Also, what do those two other GT inverters add up to? It is probably much more than another XW6048.

I too wanted to have backup power, so I went with the battery system. In my opinion, it didn't add that much complexity to things. The one problem was that the wire had to be so big because of 48V instead of 480V with a GT system. Some say that you lose 50% of the PV output when you've got batteries, but I don't find that to be true at all. The power output of the PV is at about 83% of the system rating, at least from what I can tell. Also, I don't know about a big expense for the battery enclosure. I went to Lowe's, got several 2x8s and built the enclosure. It even turned into a table instead of wasted space.

So if it going to be a 10kw system, you should be able to return the unused GT inverters to the place you bought them from. Yes, there is a shipping cost, but in the long run that is just a bit of an added expense to gain a bit of knowledge. In my opinion, I would make a complaint about their sales tactics just for suggesting an XW6048 for 2.5kw of PV. It is like driving a Ferrari three blocks to work in bumper to bumper traffic. Why do it?

Also, I was able to get the permit myself here in Polk County. I did all the research, got advice from Solar Guppy on some of the more complicated issues, had a little drawing showing everything in detail, including the wire guage between each connection. I did it that way because the first time I went to get the permit they said they wanted a "detailed" explanation and sent me away. So they got what I think is the most detailed version I could come up with for my second trip in. But then they stopped me again because even though the roof mounting system was certified by the manufacturer, Conergy, it wasn't certified here in Florida. So luckily Solar Guppy sent me to the great PE, Robert Haug, and he got it figured out and certified. I still think Conergy should have reimbursed me for that expense though, I wonder if they are using the certification I paid for on other systems they are selling here in Florida. So as far as the permit goes, yes it cost me a bit of time, but to pay somebody else to do it would have been expensive and I wouldn't have learned what I did.

One other thing that I found out after having the system for awhile is that a very large percentage, maybe even more than 80%, is used here instead of feeding back to the electric company. And if I really tried, I could probably set things up to have none feeding back, but of course this is with a 5kw system. So you might be able to set up one subpanel that would use 100% of the output of one XW6048, a "mini-off-grid," and backfeed the main panel with the other XW6048. For running an AC unit, it is possible to get what they call a "hard start" but I call a "gentle start" which would reduce the few seconds of high demand at the startup.
  • CaptTurbo
    Options

I guess I have not been as clear as I need to be but then I feel like I'm trying to see through mud. :cry:

The new plan seems to be for me to NOT use the GT inverters that I bought but instead use a pair of XW-6048s. I'm dead in the water here at the moment though because Solar Source has still not called me back as they said they would. I will probably fire them too if I don't hear positive news friom them on Monday.

I'm tired of being told one thing and seeing another. Not just this company but a long list that I have suffered through dealings with in the last year. There must be a company out there that is competent and does what they say they will do.
  • speedshot
    speedshot Registered Users Posts: 6
    Options

Hi guys,

I don't know if this would be of benefit, but in the Pensacola area (yes, I know, long commute) there is a group called The Solar Guys that are just completing a large installation on the local university science building. They might be a source of info. The number is (850) 439 0035.

Thanks