This may be a good deal

sub3marathonman
sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
I'm not sure about this, but on Newegg they have the Sunforce 50060 solar panel kit for $240 including shipping. It is a 45 watt output, with a small battery for storage. Some have thought it should have a bigger battery, so you would have to take that into consideration. It is for a power outage to keep a light bulb or two on. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882260007&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL022510&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL022510-_-Solar-_-LE6A-_-82260007

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Re: This may be a good deal

I would recommend getting a standard crystalline solar panel and inexpensive charge controller... One panel at 1/2 the area (~2x the efficiency) and probably better performance.

Or get a small genset instead (save up for a Honda eu2000i or eu1000i).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭

That looks remarkably similar to the kit sold by Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc. If so, there are three allegedly 15-watt panels, but they are really 5-watt panels by any testing standard. And they are amorphous silicon, so degrade quickly. If that's the same kit, that is. Try searching the web at large for "Harbor Frieght Solar Panel" for writeups of people's individual experiences.
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Roderick wrote: »
    That looks remarkably similar to the kit sold by Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc. If so, there are three allegedly 15-watt panels, but they are really 5-watt panels by any testing standard.

OK, I wasn't sure about this and mainly just relied on the fact that it was Newegg. I didn't know why Newegg, the best place to buy computer equipment, was selling this solar kit, but I guess they really need to stick to computers. It just sounded possibly to be a good deal at 50% off the regular price.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

newegg has expanded their horizons somewhat blindly as they cover many other things now besides computer stuff like tvs. being they are just as unfamiliar with solar as many of their customers are they are just ignorant of the facts and are just jumping onto a bandwagon from a retail point of view. it will further degrade solar's image selling substandard stuff so maybe if they heard feedback from some of you who know better that they may stop the pawning of j**k (edit to submit the word substandard instead).