Fuse location

Options
Ringo
Ringo Registered Users Posts: 6
I am installing solar in my truck camper. I have 2 KD135GX-LPU 135 Watt solar panels and a Morningstar Dual Battery 25 amp Charge Controller ,the instructions say to mount my 30amp fuse with in 12" of the battery, now my battery comparment is quite cramped if I mount it in there it will be a pain if it ever blew I'd have to move the batteries out to get at it. I have space 36" away from the batteries....would this be an ok spot to mount the inline fuse holder or circut breaker? or is that to far away from the batteries?

DSC01344.jpg

Thanks
Ringo

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Fuse location

I believe the standard practice for boats is 18" maximum.

But, in practice, you are protecting the wire from short circuits. If you properly mount and protect the wire so that it cannot short before it gets to the fuse--then you are safe (or at least reasonably safe).

For example, you don't want the unfused section of wire to rub on a metal corner or the +/- wires to chafe through their insulation and short. Wrapping a chafing point with extra insulation/tape/etc. and tying together so they cannot move from vibration would help prevent any short from occurring.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Put a slightly oversized fuse in the battery box where you will never need to get at it, and then a properly sized fuse where ever it is convenient. So for example, if you need to protect the wire with a 30 amp fuse, use the 30 inside the camper, and a 35 in the box. That way the wire is protected against major failure by the oversized fuse, but normal over loads will trip the normal fuse,, ~100% of the wire will be protected.

Tony
  • Steve961
    Steve961 Solar Expert Posts: 93 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is the simplest thing that I have found. It is a terminal fuse block from Blue Sea Systems that attaches directly to the battery post. Fuses are available from 30 to 300 amps.

http://www.blueheronmarine.com/Detail.bok?no=5552

5191_182x182.jpg
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

now that's a nice innovative idea and item. thanks for pointing that one out steve.
  • Ringo
    Ringo Registered Users Posts: 6
    Options
    Steve961 wrote: »
    Here is the simplest thing that I have found. It is a terminal fuse block from Blue Sea Systems that attaches directly to the battery post. Fuses are available from 30 to 300 amps.

5191_182x182.jpg

That's a good idea....the only problem I have with that is avaliabilty.
    We were on one trip in the Yukon and I had one of my blade fuses popping overnight. This happened three times.
    Finally through some trouble shooting I found out it was a bad LED bulb connection
    It was lucky that I had spares and could buy some more at a gas station.

It is a good idea and I am thinking of going that way.

Thank you
    Ringo
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Typically, you would put a fairly large fuse at the battery bank to protect your large gauge/diameter wire (say 100 amps or more).

And you would have smaller fuses/wires going to your loads (like a standard 15 amp fuse/breaker and 14 awg to the LED fixture).

But--you would still want to carry a few spares of hard to get fuses--just in case.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Steve961 wrote: »

5191_182x182.jpg

Nice!

Available at WestMarine and other marine dealers ~$15 for the fuse another ~$20 for the holder.

Tony