Electronic vs. Pilot Light propane ranges

thorsness
thorsness Solar Expert Posts: 52 ✭✭✭
We have a small propane range (pilot lights) at our cabin and want to install a full size model. Those for sale on Craigslist are almost all electronic ignition with LED clocks. In addition to changing the jets from Natural Gas to Propane, does anyone have information or suggestions about the wattage demand of the clock and the electronic ignition for the burners and oven? We have two 12 volt AGM batteries, solar and EU2000 generator charged, that power our modest CFL lighting system. Another reason to buy a "Kill-a-Watt" meter I suppose.
Thanks as usual.

JB

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Electronic vs. Pilot Light propane ranges

It's the oven ignitor and flame monitor that can really suck the power. Most nowdays are glow bars, they take several hundred watts to heat and monitor.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• thorsness
    thorsness Solar Expert Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

Yikes. That's more than ALL my lights, inside and outside, and the kids' DVD player.
    We'll look for a pilot lighted model then. Thanks very much.

JB
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

You probably will want to look at stoves where you can turn off the pilot light for the stove top burners (lighter or matches). And you can light the oven pilot when needed reasonably conveniently.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

there are also some models out that have a snap snap snap lighter, like a piezzo electric BBQ lighter. don't know what they draw.

hth
    EJ

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • jeffkruse
    jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I am shocked at how much electricity my gas oven uses. It seems to be around 200 - 300 Watts. 300WH for dinner in a GAS oven. Thats about how much the rice cooker uses.:cry:
  • BB.

I believe Peerless-Premier spark ignition option ranges will do what you need.

I have read that they do not require much power (one person claimed none--perhaps spark electronics are only turned on when gas is on) when off--only a little bit when sparking to start the flame.

They also can be run with out AC power and lit with a match--including the oven. The oven will stay lit until "turned off" when you would need to manually light again (if no AC power).

You could probably place the range on an AC switch--and turn off if it causes you inverter to come out of "search mode" when the range is plugged in.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

BB hits it on the nose. I have a Premier Peerless and it has the piezo electric ignition of top burners and the pilot for the oven. I even leave the clock working it's such a little load.

The clock can get dumb. It will lose several minutes if charging with the generator for 5-6 hours. The gen voltage is lower than the inverted voltage delivered to the outlet.

Really a fan of Premier. I shopped all over until I found them. Check out the web site. They are not the 6 burner $3000 kind of kitchen item, but $700 was what I'd paid for an earlier range (15+ years earlier). If you install it yourself check that everything is aligned properly...or have it installed by your gas supplier. On mine the thermocouple for the oven burner had jiggled away from where the flame would impinge on it...wouldnt stay lit and operate the oven. Re-aligned and worked fine. One burner orafice (spud) was cross threaded, but that was just a deep socket needed to back it out and put in properly (burner had most of the flame on only one side). Fixed easily too.

Ralph
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Stick with the standing pilot. There are models that that have electronic spark ignition for the top burners. The spark units don't draw much, but any one that has glow bar ignition is a huge draw.

The reason being, aside from the draw of the heating element, is that the gas valve won't open until the control "sees" enough glow bar amperage, then it knows it is hot enough to light the gas.

I know that the "Brown" brand of propane or natural gas ranges have a standing pilot top burners and a standing pilot oven. The newer versions have a thermocouple ovens so that if the pilot goes out, the gas stops. (This allows to keep the pilot un lit until you need the oven if you don't mind the hassle of lighting the pilot every time. The pilot on the ovens is pretty substantial, on the top burners it is so small as to only burn a tiny bit of propane per day.

Tony
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭

Might not be directly related but... I was surprised to find how much electricity was used by my propane appliances.

Water Heater = 9W
    Fridge (w/electronic control panel) = 3.2W

I could not detect any draw from the piezo ignitors on the stove top.
  • icarus

Piezo ignitors won't have any draw.

You can always unplug the the water heater when idle to save the 9 watts.

tony
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Checked my GE gas range once and it uses 400 w when oven is lit. It stays lit the whole time you are using oven. My gas furnace has the glowbar also. S:Dlarvic
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Peerles all the way. I have been using there range for 5 years no power draw and no standing pilot light.
  • Kamala
    icarus wrote: »
    Piezo ignitors won't have any draw.

Figured that. As I understand imagine guess... it's a crystal that gets banged on by a spring loaded device (probably has an inductor to magnify the collapsing em field.) But wait... I might not have piezo ignitors. Unlike my pocket cigar lighter, the stove uses momentary rocker switches. Some other kind of electronic ignition, perhaps.
    icarus wrote: »
    You can always unplug the the water heater when idle to save the 9 watts.

The water heater is switched and I only turn it on about an hour ahead of anticipated need. If that need is dishwashing, I'll turn it off when dinner is served. If it is for showering, I'll turn it off only after everyone is done. It is thermostatically controlled and has a 6 gal styrofoam insulated tank. But as long as the power switch is on, it draws the 9W.
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭

I bought a GE Range. It said "electronic ignition", oven has a heat bar, not electronic. The heat bar only draws when the oven is about to light, not on all the time. Igniter for top burn uses so little that kill-o-watt meter does not register.

All this said, had I been able to find a Peerless that would have been my 1st choice.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Have run the Peerless Premier for about 3.5 years. No problems at all. Works well and seems to need very very little power when idle (the clock is the only load). The electronic ignition cannot consume much power, and that is only needed to start a top burner, or to ignite the oven's pilot.

Would buy the Peerless again for my off-grid use. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • icarus

Kamala,

What water heater are you using that draws 9 amps? Is that 12vdc or 120vac?

Is it just a little tanked electric?

Tony
  • BB.

I think Kamala made a typo... Earlier he typed "9W" -- Not 9A.

-Bill
  • Kamala

Bill's right. 9W, or 750 mA, is what I meant.
  • icarus

So is the 9 watts the control board for a demand gas?

Tony
  • Kamala

Best I can figure, for the water heater, yes. But as I said, this is off most of the time. Powered up only in anticipation of use.
  • Kamala

BTW, the stove top is a Dometic. One burner refuses to stay lit.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    audredger wrote: »
    I bought a GE Range. It said "electronic ignition", oven has a heat bar, not electronic. The heat bar only draws when the oven is about to light, not on all the time. Igniter for top burn uses so little that kill-o-watt meter does not register.

All this said, had I been able to find a Peerless that would have been my 1st choice.

I think this is incorrect. I checked a GE range for a customer last year and the glow bar is on the whole time the oven burner is on. When the burner is told to go out the glow bar goes off. Basically using 300 watts per hour and more if you are going from cold up to 500F.

Maybe you have a new model and they finally fixed this decade old problem? Nah, General ELECTRIC!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• audredger

Yes Dave, anytime the oven gas is on the heat bar is on also. Once the oven is up to temp and the gas shuts off, the heat bar does too. Pearless would have been better
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

That's my experience with avoiding glow bars...oven control ''on"means the bar is hot. I prefer a pizo ignited pilot (Peerless is peer-less)

And Inquiring Minds want to know...where is the State of Jefferson, or is it a state of mind?

Ralph
  • BB.

Jefferson - The 51st State - Northern California / Southern Oregon ...

-Bill
  • icarus

Or the state of Lincoln,, Eastern WA and Eastern OR, ~ N. ID http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Lincoln
  • audredger

Thank you Bill for the website post.

The flag for the State of Jefferson is a gold pan with two X's for having been double crossed. "We" don't like the rules from either Sacramento nor Salem!
  • audredger

BTW my "Wai Wela" Tankless heater uses .36 watts standby and 3600 watts running on low.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Gas ignition on clothes dryers is different and definately the way to go. The igniter is only on during ignition (Frigidaire/Kenmore) and seems to be what GE should do but they are braindead there. I have been getting the same form letter back from them for a decade saying it is a great idea and please do not respond as it probably will be deleted soon......

One step forward and 3/4 back.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• icarus
    audredger wrote: »
    BTW my "Wai Wela" Tankless heater uses .36 watts standby and 3600 watts running on low.

You are running electric demand water heater? Do you pre-heat with solar, and or did you consider LP or Natural gas?

Tony