wafer-thin plastic that can store electricity

they hype this as the end of the battery:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1248829/The-end-battery-British-invent-material-looks-like-plastic-store-electricity.html

it IS a battery, no?

It is lightwieght though and they say it can be incorporated into auto body panels.

its basically carbon fibre and fibreglass mat with a special resin that conducts electricity. so what the resin?

I call BS, what do you think?

Comments

• blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Re: wafer-thin plastic that can store electricity

It`s in an English tabloid newspaper, It must be true !:D

Have a good one
    Tim
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭

NOT BS nor a battery per se but, a capcitor. A super capacitor using carbon nano tubes.
    I have been looking into supercapacitors for my off grid house. Low internal resistance mees they should a charge from summer thru winter!? Cost is thru the roof.. 3-5 x what a lead acid battery costs.
  • notsobright
    notsobright Solar Expert Posts: 247 ✭✭

if you could find out what resin this is it might be possible to DIY

thats what intrest me, I have some experience with glass kevlar and carbon fibre, and this looks very simple but I just have no idea what kind of resin it could be.

I also wonder if the cloth used has also has thin metallic or other conductive strands woven into it.

one reason I jump to call BS is the lack of any specs or techinical details but if they have something it looks to be easily reproduced. mabey thats why they dont go into detail?
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭

I don't think the resin is the secret. Do you know how to grow carbon nanotubes?
    Not carbon fibers but, nonotubes.