Wattgate 381

Options
2»

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Wattgate 381

Mike; thanks for confirming my position! That guy's got chutzpah! Kinda reminds you of the old Emperor's New Clothes story, doesn't it?

And I stand by my statements about movie sound too; if the idea is to give the viewer the experience of actually being there, it fails. I've been there and that's not what it sounds like. :p

I used to help my Dad test audio equipment back in the days of vacuum tubes and early transistors. My hearing was better than his. Nothing beats a good listener. :D Spending hours listening to "An Album That Is Even Throughout" and the dreaded bouncing ping pong ball can give you a real appreciation for an audio distortion meter and a good oscilloscope. :D

Nowadays everything is just too bloody loud. :cry:
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

Cariboocoot this is not what I said or ment.. if the idea is to give the viewer the experience of actually being there, it fails. I've been there and that's not what it sounds like.
    This is what I said and its totally different"it give the viewer a more total experience. and its bacause of the high impact music and effects.
    The paragraph where I said the listener wants an eidetic experience from recorded music as he most likely has heard that music real.
    Much of movie music effects can never be recalled as there is no real version.When did you last hear a battlestar whiz by or phasers fired?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Listen (.......) dead silence. Vacuum=no noise (or dead person).

In space no one can hear you scream...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Listen (.......) dead silence. Vacuum=no noise (or dead person)."

taking that more in depth i believe you would be dead before you had the opportunity to try to scream.

to take off on achmed's saying it would go, i kill you, silence.:p reference jeff dunham.:cool:
  • john p
    Options

I have a vacuum cleaner and its noisy..why is it so? shouldent the vacuum suck up its own noise with the dust??:confused:
  • BB.
    Options

Its the old inside / outside thing...
    • Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    Groucho Marx
    US comedian with Marx Brothers (1890 - 1977)
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • john p
    Options

Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. what if the dog is very light? that make it easier to read inside it?

Ihave another earth shattering question
    you can be overwhelmed
    you can be underwhelmed
    why it not accepted to say you just "whelmed" if everything is status quo?

Final question has anything talked about in the last few posts got anything to do with any solar or wind topic?? or are we just old gas bags rambling on??
  • BB.
    Options

This is where dyslexia turns into my full fledged paranoia of the English Language:
    Main Entry: whelm
    Pronunciation: \ˈhwelm, ˈwelm\
    Function: verb
    Etymology: Middle English
    Date: 14th century

transitive verb 1 : to turn (as a dish or vessel) upside down usually to cover something : cover or engulf completely with usually disastrous effect
    2 : to overcome in thought or feeling : overwhelm <whelmed with a rush of joy — G. A. Wagner>intransitive verb : to pass or go over something so as to bury or submerge it

Overwhlem means to cover twice? Turn over more than once?

Overwhelm = Overcome
    Whelm <> Come

My favorite warning on cans of paint thinner (usually with a NY Fire Department wording of some sort):

flammable = inflammable
    INdescribable, INdecent, INjustice, INappropriate <> IN removed...

From wiki:
    The word “inflammable” came from Latin “'inflammāre” = “to set fire to,” where the prefix “'in-”' means “in” as in “inside”, rather than “not” as in “invisible” and “ineligible”. Nonetheless, “inflammable” is often erroneously thought to mean “non-flammable”. To avoid this safety hazard, “flammable”, despite not being the proper Latin-derived term, is now commonly used on warning labels when referring to physical combustibility.

I guess you can flag the offending post(s) and the Moderator will come in an clean up the mess in the aisles.

Bill "Not Me" B. ;)
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    john p wrote: »
    I have a vacuum cleaner and its noisy..why is it so? shouldent the vacuum suck up its own noise with the dust??:confused:

it did its job for you didn't hear a peep out of the dust mites now did you?:p
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Options

Has everybody completely lost sight of history?

This all started when Nigel Tufnel (of Spinal Tap fame for those UNINFORMED people out there) set his guitar amp at 11, yes ELEVEN, instead of 10.

And, if neil had really read all those 68 glowing reviews for the Wattgate 381 he would have seen that it increases the midrange of vacuum cleaner "noise" to "true up" the sound. :roll:
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

I just found the perfect tool for installing that super-duper-duplex:

Left Handed Metric Screwdriver
  • john p
    Options

Sparweb you are lucky you are in Canada, We in Australia con no longer buy or import lefthanded screwdrivers or lefthanded hammers. They been banned here as there were several many and sometimes a few reports of people getting were getting dyslexia and anxiety attacks if they were using them for very short times in late afternoon. most dangerous time seemed to be from 3.06 pm to 2.47 pm
  • myocardia
    myocardia Solar Expert Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    Options

You people obviously just don't know what good sounds like. According to Dr. Amar Bose, it must sound like this: cha-ching.:D
    Nowadays everything is just too bloody loud. :cry:

To borrow a phrase from Rockford Fosgate's advertising campaign of the late 80's/early 90's, "If it's too loud, you're too old." Now, you children get off my lawn.8)

And to quote Jack Handey:
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
    DoD= depth of discharge= amount removed from that battery   SoC= state of charge= amount remaining in that battery
    So, 0% DoD= 100% SoC, 25% DoD= 75% SoC, 50% DoD= 50% SoC, 75% DoD= 25% SoC, 100% DoD= 0% SoC
    A/C= air conditioning AC= alternating current (what comes from the outlets in your home) DC= direct current (what batteries & solar panels use)
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

No problem with loud music!

By the time İ can hear a sound it is far too loud for about 99% of the population - including teeny boppers!
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is a video, from a recent AES convention, of some people that I know about some of this stuff, and more.

Audio Myths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

boB