Advice re: getting contract

Please advise me.

I am now getting bids/proposals from contractors for a 4.7 kw home system. I now have proposal/bids for $25,000

What should I insist be in the contract.

I live in Long Beach, CA near Los Angeles. Please recommend low priced contractors.

Comments

• hillbilly
    hillbilly Solar Expert Posts: 334 ✭✭
    Re: Advice re: getting contract

I'm afraid I don't know anything about any contractors in your area, and thus cannot make any recommendations one way or another. What I would want to focus on wouldn't be so much "what's in the contract" as much as how solid is this contractor, how many years have they been installing PV systems, and how happy are their past customers.
    I would NOT be as concerned on a "low cost" for the installation, as that could end up costing you far, far more money later on down the road. Find yourself an experienced PV installer, who very well may charge a few extra dollars for that experience and knowledge but might also well save you from some costly errors or sub par system performance. I don't know that it would be a deal maker/breaker, but you could check if they are NABCEP certified (just one additional accreditation), or ask for some references from previous clients.
    Good luck,
    HB
  • a0128958
    a0128958 Solar Expert Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

One thing to consider asking for is a commitment to produce a minimum X amount of power when irradiation of the panels is at or better than 1.0 sun power (i.e., a full sun, no clouds day).

For example, in TX, to obtain a rebate from the utility company, for a grid-tie-only system, it must produce at least 80% of the PVWatts default (0.77).

Using this minimum design expectation example, and assuming your system is GT only, if you have solar panels that add up to 4.7 KW DC, then the minimum AC power (Watts) performance you may want in the contract is 4.7 KW * 0.77 (PVWatts default) * 80% = 2.9 KW. In essence you're expecting the installing company to take into account shading, panel orientation, panel tilt, string design, inverter features, and wiring challenges, with a 'bottom line' minimum performance expectation of 2.9 KW.

80% may be too low for a minimum design performance expectation for your region and/or installer competitive environment. If so, choose a different value.

Solar PV power is an instantaneous measurement that can be done at any time. A measurement that takes more time to do is the amount of energy your system produces over time - i.e., kWh for the day or month. Here, to assess performance, you'll need insolation values to compare to that are representative for your specific geographical area.

Best regards,

Bill
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Final payment > 20%,
    after city inspection "Sign Off" and
    Power Company "OK To Connect" letter
    and a x year roof leak warranty.
    (Some installers just perforate the roof looking for a stud)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• FreeWatts
    FreeWatts Registered Users Posts: 14

I am A contractor in los Angeles and would love to give you a proposal. Our contracts guarantees a fully operational, installed system that passes both local jurisdiction and utility inspections and that will generate the KWh promised. In short your system will deliver the energy we said it will guaranteed! Our technitions have 10+ years in the PV/Electrical field and have NABCEP certification. During our years viewing other installations in the area we have seen many with what are usually best practices totally ignored ie. no flashing, inproper grounds, two or more strings facing different directions on a central inverter.
    PM me if i can help in any way.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Over 80 solar contractors exist on the California Renewable Retailers & Installers database within 50 miles of my home. The competition to win my project goes on and on but I should be done having contractors make their first bids within 2 weeks.