Xantrex is now Schneider Electric

Options
crewzer
crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
Xantrex is now Schneider Electric's Renewable Energies Business.

New links:

Schneider Electric
Schneider Electric / Products and Services / Renewable Energies

I'll be in Burnaby, BC, next week for orientation and training.

Regards to all!
Jim / crewzer

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Xantrex is now Schneider Electric
    crewzer wrote: »

New links:

Schneider Electric

Regards to all!
    Jim / crewzer

On behalf of the inhabitants of British Columbia, we welcome you!
    And in the capacity of unofficial ambassador, I apologize profusely for our rotten weather and poor visitor accommodations.
    I hope you manage to have a good time anyway. :D

Marc
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

So, Jim... Does this mean that you have to speak French ?

boB
    :D
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    boB wrote: »
    So, Jim... Does this mean that you have to speak French ?

boB
    :D

Not in BC. More people speak German here than French! If you really want an 'in' with the locals, learn Punjabi or Mandarin/Cantonese.

Parlez-vous francais? Non! C'est impossible! :p
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

there are more Danes than French too... Qu'est-ce que c'est?

La Frontier is at the eastern boundary of Ontario...

Jim, since you are so close you could just 'drop in ' on Marc and I for a coffee.... only a 6 hour drive through some of the most spectacular and historic areas in the West..

Enjoy Greater Vancouver!
    cheers,

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

New links:

Schneider Electric

Regards to all!
    Jim / crewzer

I have to say that I am not sure why they are dumping the Xantrex website - at least you could find things there.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Ugg... Are they dropping the rest of the Xantrex lines (small inverters/chargers/battery monitors/etc.)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • crewzer
    Options

Considering how much, er, liquid exports I've consumed from Germany and France, one would think that I'd be fluent in both languages. :roll: ;) My German is serviceable though rusty (lived in Austria for 7-1/2 years, has a contract in Germany for four years), but my French has always been poor.

I'll check on content- and product line questions when I'm in Burnaby, and then report back. I'm also supposed to visit the Livermore, CA, plant in early Feb.

Eric, I'll see what I can do about a visit sometime! 1/2 Crazy may remember that I once detoured "a bit" to visit him in the wilds of Maine!

Cheers, all!
    Jim / crewzer
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I see that Schneider must be working on the xantrex web site.
    Simply going to www.xantrex.com does not work right now, at least
    for me, on firefox or Internet Exploder.
    The forum and everything else appears to be there though.

EDIT: Nahh... It just requires Adobe FLASH just to get the opening page !
    I think that may mean that the Xantrex site won't come up on an I-Phone,
    etc... Browsers without FLASH.

Crewzer... Better start eating French Toast :D

boB
  • GreenerPower
    GreenerPower Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Ugg... Are they dropping the rest of the Xantrex lines (small inverters/chargers/battery monitors/etc.)?

-Bill
    A small portion of Xantrex went to Ametek in SanDiego.
    GP
  • crewzer
    Options
    A small portion of Xantrex went to Ametek in SanDiego.

I believe that was the "programmable power" business.

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options

Jim are you going to be able to fix there Forum?
  • crewzer
    Options

Ryan,

It's on my "list". No quick-fix promises, though...

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • halfcrazy
    Options

Could you make a volunteer moderator spot to help with spam? Seems like that would help a lot. I think they will benefit greatly from getting there forum fixed up. They have done a great job of getting someone to answer the phone I think this merge will make X stronger and we know Crewzer/Jim will be a huge help.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Considering how much, er, liquid exports I've consumed from Germany and France, one would think that I'd be fluent in both languages. :roll: ;) My German is serviceable though rusty (lived in Austria for 7-1/2 years, has a contract in Germany for four years), but my French has always been poor.

I'll check on content- and product line questions when I'm in Burnaby, and then report back. I'm also supposed to visit the Livermore, CA, plant in early Feb.

Eric, I'll see what I can do about a visit sometime! 1/2 Crazy may remember that I once detoured "a bit" to visit him in the wilds of Maine!

Cheers, all!
    Jim / crewzer

Hey I'm on the coast for a bit,,Perhaps I can drive you up, and we can make it a party,
    LOL,

Tony
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    icarus wrote: »
    Hey I'm on the coast for a bit,,Perhaps I can drive you up, and we can make it a party,
    LOL,

Tony

Be sure and bring your scuba gear: it's raining. :p
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Options

Good luck in you new post Jim !

Have a good one
    Tim

Ps, Are they offering any incentives for "shifting camp" lol:D
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

I'm going to add this on here as a bit of trivia. I ran across this info while perusing a Nov 2008 edition of BC Business in the doctor's office (# rule: no magazines in the waiting room less than 1 year old).

Schneider acquired Xantrex in a "super secret deal" back in July, 2008. The magazine goes on to mention that Mossadiq S. Umedaly was/is chairman of both Xantrex and BC Hydro! I don't know if this is still the case.

Some people may see this as a conflict of interest. Or it could be viewed as a potential impetus for BC Hydro getting a sensible Grid-Tie plan going. So far that hasn't happened. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on the part of an old man who just bought a place with 'perfect' insolation but in a land of ten cent per kilowatt power. :p

It sure would be nice to have some capital incentives for investing in grid-tied solar electric around here. I just hope it doesn't have restrictions like "must use Xantrex inverter". :p
  • crewzer
    Options

Xantrex' acquisition by Schneider Electric was publicly reported in July, 2008: It's my understanding that Umedaly is no longer affiliated with Xantrex / Schneider Electric. Ted Campbell now heads Xantrex / Schneider Electric Renewables... I've met Ted and he's a great guy!

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Options

I guess X will get Euro friendly now when are the new low cost Pure Sinewave inverters likely to ship, Nigel
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Options

That would be nice :D
  • halfcrazy
    Options
    nigtomdaw wrote: »
    I guess X will get Euro friendly now when are the new low cost Pure Sinewave inverters likely to ship, Nigel

When XanMan gets done selling all his ************ drug's on X's forum he will get to the low cost inverters
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Boy did XanMan ever do a complete spam job,

thanks to our mods/NAWS for keeping that S**** off this forum :D

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    Options

They let 4,700 posts since July of 2009 in the Xantrex support forum????

Shoot me if we ever let that happen here... How sad.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Looks like they are going for raw #'s and google ratings, not actual support. Done shot themselves in the foot (or kneecap).
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

Shoot me if we ever let that happen here... How sad.

-Bill

That is pretty sad, and it tells me that nobody there is in charge of anything. It looks like he has been posting his drugs posts about 10 a day for months.
  • BB.
    Options

Well--I guess I could be replaced by a 'bot too... Ain't automation wonderful.

-Bill "bot" B.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You guy's do realize that many large corporations screw up forums / e-mail. The telephone is how they choose to allocate their resources. Xantrex may have forgotten that they have a forum... As long as they build world class electronics only a small part of their market is lost. It is their company! They do know about it!

While I try and send my customers to the store here most of my equipment comes out of Solar Depot and I have never had any problem with Xantrex thru that source in decades! They bring the gear to the site ( and I mean extreme rural) and if there is a problem Xantrex is on the phone asking what I need.

I realize that there are alot of do-it-yourself types here that need the touchy feely thing of a forum and that's cool! The vast majority of this business does not in my experience.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Seems like a phone call is more touchy feely than a forum.
  • BB.
    Options

In any case, phone calls are expensive and one-on-one interactions with the customers... And frequently, the first level phone support folks are very limited in the type/amount of support they can give. Seems that lots of layers of support is expensive too.

Just as an FYI--the local cable company (big national brand that is currently renaming because of bad customer perceptions)--has outsourced their technician technical phone support to Asia... At $65 per call. A very recent interaction with a customer (a few days before company rename--so nobody will care now that there is "the new" cable company :roll:):
    1. Call customer service--tell them one of two phone lines is not working. Can they do anything from there? No--we will send out tech in 4 days with 4 hour window in middle of day
    2. Tech comes out--knows exactly what is wrong (bad network switch setup/"port"/configuration).
    3. "Rules" require Install new cable modem (no fix).
    4. Log in and do three attempts to "fix" electronically (no fix).
    5. Now call supervisor to try "electronic fix"--Sup. must try three times (no fix).
    6. Call Technician Support in Philippines ($65). Half way through--cell phone drops (deep in coastal valley with poor cell reception using Cable Company's cell network--can't use "home phone" because will be disconnected while modem is being reconfigured).
    7. Tech calls 800 number again (another $65). Tech Phone Support tears down and sets up 2nd phone line connection tables.
    8. Works.
    I have had good phone support and, when offered and needed, can be very successful. But, I do wonder how many times they answer the same questions when they could have just posted a detailed FAQ/search engine on their corporate website.

I guess that Windsun/NAWS has found that this forum has been more helpful than not--given the costs in time and money to setup and manage this site...

-Bill
  • halfcrazy
    Options

and Xantrex could apoint one or 2 of us to be moderators heck I would at least wipe xanman out once a day.