Hybrid system with only a 30A 240V tie

Options
Sheldon
Sheldon Solar Expert Posts: 51 ✭✭✭✭
I'm hoping to install an XW4548 in my shop, where there is a subterranean 240V 30A feed and 30A two pole (thermal) breakers.

The only question I think I need to worry about is that the 4548 max AC consumption in charge mode is 30.9 A.

I believe that I can throttle the charger down by controlling max DC current and that should reduced the AC required to be below the practical ~23A afforded by my existing breakers.

Am I missing anything ?

Should I change the 60A two pole breakers in the Dist panel to be 30A?

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Hybrid system with only a 30A 240V tie
    Sheldon wrote: »
    Should I change the 60A two pole breakers in the Dist panel to be 30A?

I think this is a typo. If you meant to change from 30A to 60A. You must look at the size of wire and the distribution box to see if they can handle 60A. For the most part, you will not, as these parts are sized to the current load requirements.

Now, 30A @ 240V = 7.2KW. That is a lot of power into a battery bank.
  • Sheldon
    Sheldon Solar Expert Posts: 51 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Hybrid system with only a 30A 240V tie

The feed wire that is to my shop and breakers at each end are 30A 220V. They are classic thermal breakers AFAIK. I'd rather NOT redo the 200ft of buried wiring.

The Xantrex power panel and Inverter have 60A magnetic/hydraulic breakers, and the inverter can consume justover 30A in charging, so its not unlikely that it would trip the existing breakers under some peak conditions, unless I throttle it back. it can output 4500 watt continuous and peak at 9000.

Wiring from Shop sub panel to the Xantrex panel would need to be either 60 A rated because of the Xantrex breakers , or 30A rated to match the shop's feed, and then the question is should I change all the power dist panel breakers to be 30A for simple matching, since if I feed AC to the Sub Panel through a #10 wire, it probably should be limited at each end with similar breakers.

Alternatively, I wire Xantrex with #6 to the sub panel, allowing me to feed >30A back to the sub panel for example when starting table saw... and < 30A from sub panel to grid in continuous mode.

Probably the latter makes sense.