New wind turbines...

boB
boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: New wind turbines...

boB, I followed some of the links and found this, NO HYPE>>> ion wind! :cool: very neat

http://www.greenwavelength.com/bioinspiredwindturbine/

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Where is the "Ion Wind" ?? I didn't see anything different than those
    first links. Maybe you meant to paste in some other link ??

boB
  • Truth Squad
    Truth Squad Solar Expert Posts: 126 ✭✭

Gotta tell ya. It is very safe to assume all new small wind turbines (and a few not-so-new ones I could name...) are scams until the manufacturer presents more than just BS marketing glitz, YouTube videos, claims of backwards-spinning meters, pointing out that a grant will pay for the thing (as opposed to the TURBINE paying itself off) and empty promises. Until they present verifiable facts, actual test data from a solid year of testing several gennies in several different areas, and proof they stand behind the product, it's a SCAM---although possibly a well-funded one, in some cases.
  • westbranch

Sorry about that, there were several links.. just looked at this one on Utube as well.. the Ionwind was at the bottom of the page.. ina strip of about 15 'clips'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Wy96HU5N8&feature=related

shades of Tesla's electrical transmission through the air...??

Eric

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Not so mysterious actually.

According to some people, the B2 Stealth has an ion drive. The theory is that you charge the leading edge with a negative potential, then spray the air ahead of it with positive charged ions.

Rinse and repeat and vice versa the trailing edge and you have a pull from the front and push from behind. Supposedly, this generates enough thrust to allow the B2 to cruise with it's turbines throttled way back.

I've seen that plane do a flyby at an airshow, and I was amazed - it's not much of a glider, so it HAD to have had some sort of thrust going - but I could not hear it...AT ALL.

I remember seeing somewhere on the net, years ago, an old black and white video of someone using that same sort of system to motivate a tethered flying saucer. I seem to recall it was something like a meter in diameter and it had to be tethered to provide the power.

This is a different scheme than NASA's "Ion Propulsion", which is just a variation on a reaction thruster.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Part of the B2's stealth is to put Engineer air inlets and outlets on the top of the wings... Helps reduce radar and IR signatures (especially from ground based systems).

From this link, the above plus the B2's use high bypass turbofan engines (like commercial aircraft). They are quieter and more fuel efficient than the turbo jet (low bypass) engines typically use on military fighters (turbojet engines exhaust velocity is much higher and louder than a turbofan engine).

-Bill

PS: I should add that jet aircraft are actually pretty good gliders--if you are looking at glide ratios... An old B-47 was reported to have a very good glide ratio in the mid-25:1 or so range... A 747 has a glide ratio of 15:1... Light aircraft are down near 10:1, hang glider around 15:1, a "real/expensive glider I guess is around 40-70:1

Of course, in a jet, you probably are gliding at 250 knots or so...
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch

Interestingly this summer whilst at the lake, we had a lo level fly by 2-300 feet off the lake of an unmarked black jet, very small and dead QUIET. About 1/2 the size of a normal fighter jet, which we get frequently while they are doing radar avoidance flying.

We figured that this one was part of some pre-Olympics terrorist attack ( euphemistically 'security') training that was going on 'locally'. Whistler is about 10 minutes away over the mountains for those guys and we also have Comox AFB about 60 miles, straight line, away...

EJ