Does Enphase need power from grid to turn on

Options
gtxkid
gtxkid Solar Expert Posts: 34 ✭✭
I have a 240V M190
I want to test some pannel i have with it.

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Does Enphase need power from grid to turn on

I believe it must "see" the grid before it will turn on.

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Yes, Tony is correct. The whole purpose behind a "safe" grid tied inverter is that they cannot energize the grid if there is not the proper voltage and frequency in the first place.

If, you wanted a completely isolated setup (no grid connection)--you can, in theory, setup a 240 VAC True Sine Wave inverter that is at least the capacity of your GT Inverter, and back drive it/share loads that way. (or you could use a 120 VAC TSW inverter with a 120:240 VAC transformer).

Should work, in theory (other setups with different brands of GT inverters and Off Grid TSW inverters has been demonstrated to work). The OT inverter will set your voltage and frequency. Your GT inverter will output as much power as the panel has available (up to GT Inverter rating).

The OG Inverter will supply the load (say a 100 watt light bulb) and as the GT Inverter goes from 0-200 watts, the OG inverter will reduce its output and when GT > 100 watts, will actually be back-driven and start to charge the DC battery bank.

Note--that there is not Battery Charger Controller--so it is very possible to overcharge the battery if the GT-OG Inverter setup is left un-monitored (with hazardous results).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gtxkid
    Options

Inverter is flashing red now
  • gtxkid
    Options

It is the ground causing problem

Now how do i tell how much the pannel is putting outthat i have it hooked to.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

On the DC panel side, you could use one of these Amp*Hour / Watt*Hour meters.

On the output side, you could probably use a Kill-a-Watt meter... But, I would guess, the KaW meter does not understand "direction" of power... So you would not know if the GT inverter is outputing 200 watts or consuming 200 watts... But, realistically, if everything is working OK--you can assume the GT inverter is outputting power if you read more than a couple watts and the panels are in sun. When the panels are in dark, there may be some standby losses from the GT inverter (a few watts?) at "night".

Obviously, this is not a lab quality setup--but would give you a good idea for $100 worth of meters or so (vs $1x,xxx of real power meters)...

If you want to log the power, many old mechanical utility meters will spin forwards or backwards based on the amount and direction of power (there may be a one-way-inhibit that you can remove--don't know). These are probably cheap (lots of them are being replaced with "Smart Meters" out in California), accurate, and can handle quite high power ratings (>100 amps @ 240 VAC).

A "T.E.D." or similar product may also work for you (I don't think they can detect bi-directional power flow either though).

You can search ebay for "watt hour meter" and variations ("kWh meter", kilowatt meter, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gtxkid
    Options

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou
    I am an R/C nut and i have one of these meters.
    I am glad someone is doing the thinking for me.
    This will allow me to do some testing on misl. pannels i have.
    Thanks
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    icarus wrote: »
    I believe it must "see" the grid before it will turn on.

And the grid must be stable for about 5 minutes, before the inverter will power up. Any glitch in the AC or DC, will reset the inverter, and start a 5 minute count again. ( if they followed the NEC rules )
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• gtxkid
    Options

Yes it needs power from grid.