inverter question for all you industry insiders

wild01
wild01 Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
just wondering why doesn't anyone make a 36 volt inverter? I get 36 volt batteries for next to nothing, but I can't find a 36 volt sine wave inverter, just wondering why. (I cut the straps and jump the to 12 volts for my current sys, but I can't get multiples of the same size and so I can't convert to anything else.)

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: inverter question for all you industry insiders

You can probably find a few units that are used in marine applications... But those are probably few and far between (and not cheap).

Our host can arrange for Exeltech Sine Wave inverters at different voltage:
    We can also order all of the MX series. The XP series are also available in 32, 48, 66, and 108 volt DC input on special order - typically 2-3 weeks. Prices somewhat higher. We can special order any Exeltech product.

NAWS may also be able to work with some of their other vendors for alternative suppliers too.

You will have to contact them directly (phone, email, etc.)--NAWS does not monitor these forums for business related questions.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wild01

I'm aware of the 32 volt option for marine aplications, however that still leaves me having to cut 2 cells out of the string, mainly I'm curious about the why of industry skipping the 36 volt config. (outback also has a 32 volt)

I can get 36 volt forklift batteries from industry changeouts for a couple hundred dollars, but I save very little in the long run, because I need 3 times as many charge controllers to run 12 volts.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I would guess that they can tweak the settings for 36 volts with the inverters... May even be within the operating range of a 36 volt battery bus.

The Xantrex XW charge controller supports 36 volts.

32 volts was old boats and the very old DC wind power / gensets from the days before rural electrification (at least in the US).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Often by the time fork lift batts get changed out they are ready to be rebuilt, I'd bet for another couple hundred a battery reconditioner/rebuilder would check the cells marry up the 12 best and give you a pretty good 24volt battery. Worth checking out!

If your really in the know and can speak with the fleet director or maintanance person often they can let you know which of the batteries is still giving them a full shifts service.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

Tripplite makes a 36v inverter.

Tripp Lite APS3636VR 3600W 36V DC to AC Inverter with Automatic Line-to-Battery 30-Amp Charger

418MC0QQ2XL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Cheers...
    Damani
  • wild01

yeah I looked into the tripp-lite but they use modified sine wave, and I get nervous about my electronics

does anyone know if outback's 32 volt inverter's battery charger can be set up to charge @ 36 volts and kick off before it destroys a 36 volt battery?

(i see it can take the imput [28.0 to 45.3 VDC] I just want it set up to kick off b4 it drains the battery to the point of no return)
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

outback has a 32v inverter?
  • wild01

http://store.solar-electric.com/vfx3232m.html

http://store.solar-electric.com/fx2532mt.html

old boats use 32 volt systems
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

learn something every day.
  • wild01
    wild01 wrote: »
    does anyone know if outback's 32 volt inverter's battery charger can be set up to charge @ 36 volts and kick off before it destroys a 36 volt battery?

(i see it can take the imput [28.0 to 45.3 VDC] I just want it set up to kick off b4 it drains the battery to the point of no return)

anyone??? I know there's a good chance that whoever designed this thing hangs out here.

I was wonering if maybe i coule reprogram it with a mate
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Outback's manual indicates that the maximum setting for a 32V inverter's charge Voltage would be 44.88 Volts.
    Since the charge set points are fully programmable via the MATE, you should be able to set it to Absorb to this level or less. Minimum Absorb for 36V would be about 43.2V and Maximum would be about 48V. What the correct level is for your particular batteries you'd have to get from the battery manufacturer.

Others may have a different POV on this, and/or more experience with the 32V inverter.
  • wild01
    Outback's manual indicates that the maximum setting for a 32V inverter's charge Voltage would be 44.88 Volts.
    Since the charge set points are fully programmable via the MATE, you should be able to set it to Absorb to this level or less. Minimum Absorb for 36V would be about 43.2V and Maximum would be about 48V. What the correct level is for your particular batteries you'd have to get from the battery manufacturer.

Others may have a different POV on this, and/or more experience with the 32V inverter.

thanks this was the info I was looking for, sounds like a winner
  • wild01

Ok so this is an update, after extensive research I found that outback does indeed make 36 volt inverters (they just don't advertise em)
    they are listed on their pricelist, and that's about the only place... they had a 7 day backorder and dropshipped direct from ob but hey, I got it and it works.

I just installed my new vft3236m and it works like a charm, I was able to double my panels w/o having to upgrade cc or wiring, and i'm now only at about 1/2 capacity on my cc, leaving me plenty of upgrade room.

I produced 13.6kwh yesterday, so after about 20k i can now produce $1.30 worth of electricity per day!!!!!!

(please don't burst my bubble by computing the # of years for this to pay for itsself, I don't wanna know!!!!)
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Glad to know it's working out.
    Costs? No, we don't like to talk about that! :cry: