Some newbie questions

Options
wacnstac
wacnstac Registered Users Posts: 5
Currently, I have a generator shack (actually a pretty nice shack) build at my of the gird location. It houses my generator and keeps it high and dry. The shack is pretty well cross vented with a fan forcing fresh air in and across the generator and out an exhaust grate while it is running.

Could I keep my battery bank in here? Not sure what kind of batteries I'll be using yet. I know I could get away with AGM's.

Secondly would I be able to run my invertor in the shack? You want it to be close to the batteries....

Comments

• tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Some newbie questions
    wacnstac wrote: »
    Currently, I have a generator shack (actually a pretty nice shack) build at my of the gird location. It houses my generator and keeps it high and dry. The shack is pretty well cross vented with a fan forcing fresh air in and across the generator and out an exhaust grate while it is running.

Could I keep my battery bank in here? Not sure what kind of batteries I'll be using yet. I know I could get away with AGM's.

Secondly would I be able to run my invertor in the shack? You want it to be close to the batteries....

The answer is, "It depends".

You don't want too much clutter, and you want to make sure the batteries are safe and sound. If you can wall mount the inverters away from the generator, and keep the batteries safe from anything the generator might do, there's no reason not to. But if the generator shack is just barely big enough for the generator, build a bigger one.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,466 admin
    Options

The other thought is to limit your risks... One person here, "backroad", lost his complete off grid system in a fire (if I recall correctly).

I could not find the post with a description of what happened--but separating some of the major components such as; fuel, engine, solar array, battery bank + electronics into several isolated chunks may not be a bad idea.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thinking about gasoline fumes and or hydrogen in an enclosed area, then a relay closes or opens and sparks...boom. Might be best to have fans purge the shed before generator starts up, and have different items in different locations.
    Ralph
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can worry,, or you can worry.

My old generator shed houses a 5 kw diesel, a 3 kw onan, two gas powered water pumps. The two water pumps have their own tanks, the larger units have fuel tanks outside. It also housed 6 l-16 batteries, charge controller, Xantrex charger and a whole host of odd switch gear.

There is a open cupola at the peak of the building, opening side windows and doors, as well as an intake/exhaust vent for the Onan. The genny fans move plenty of air to purge any hydrogen from the battery charging. The batteries are vented into the building (should be vented outside).

I don't worry one whit about hydrogen. My worry is a fuel leak and I have installed electric fuel pump on the Onan so that it will shut down the fuel flow if the engine stops. A leak in the hose before or after the pump would result in a leak. The diesel runs on a gravity tank.

I think the real answer is provide as much ventilation as needed and then a bit more. One thing you want to avoid is vibration from the genny hurting the batteries. My gennies sit on slabs that go to the ground even though the batteries sit on a framed floor next to the generators.

Personally, I would think through the design and keep as much of the electrical stuff in one place as possible.

Tony
  • wacnstac
    wacnstac Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options

The 6x9 shack is pretty well ventilated. A low intake louver, a higher exhaust louver for the generator, soffit and ridge vents. When I run the generator the door is always left open as well. Solar panels would definitely be remote from the shack.