Don't want to waste anyones time

Options
I'm new to this and need to learn about it.
I plan on moving to 20 mile west of Durango CO off the grid at the moment I sell roofs in Atlanta and the boss is asking me about solar shingles so I need to learn about grid tied and off grid systems.
Do you have a book to recommend so I don't ask to many questions to start.
I have been in the remodeling business like forever and have done the electrical and plumbing on my jobs so I have clue just need some guidance to where I go to get the basic then I'll be back to quiz everyone.
Right now I want to build a little test system to learn and teach by I have 1500 watt inverter and was wondering what battery I would get.

Thanks
Rick
P.S Even though makes my head spin a little I love how you put your systems on your signatures just have to figure out what it all means.:D

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Don't want to waste anyones time

www.homepower.com

Probably the best place to start. they have a lot of basic articles.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

the solar shingles are not the most efficient or cost effective way of harnessing the sun's energy being thin film technology, but are more aesthetic to some people. there is a wealth of info to be gotten both on solar power mag and here, but it takes time to absorb it.
    i would be hesitant to advise my boss, as you put it, on solar systems as you are 1 inexperienced and 2 subject to reprimand by him if he doesn't like something. i would cover my own butt and tell him to seek those that 'specialize' in it. i'm sure he's not paying you enough to be a solar expect too. if you are doing this as a friend only then as a friend you can direct him to get this same knowledge from both here and home power mag with time being needed to learn it, otherwise the professional installers can be consulted by him in this capacity too thus preserving your friendship better.
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Options

Rick,

Here a good "textbook" on solar......it actually IS a textbook for some solar courses, and is set up that way with practice questions at the end of each chapter, but it's also a good self guide as to the basics of components and how they mesh together to make a system. Worth the money, IMHO.

Solar Book Here

As to the system specs in the sig line, here's the breakdown on mine:

18-175watt Solarworld panels: Just what it says....18 panels of 175watts each, 10 panels on one array ( group of panels on one mount ) and 8 on another. Solarworld is the brand of the panel. These produce about 35 volts at about 5 amps each.

Mounted on two home built single axis powered trackers: The two arrays are mounted on tracking mounts that move in one axis.....east to west all day long so the panels stay closer to perpendicular to the sun, and thus produce more power than fixed mount panels.

2 MX60's Those are Outback brand 60amp charge controllers that take the voltage coming in from the panels ( I have the panels wired in pairs of two that produce 70v ) and change it to 27v or so for charging my batteries and what the inverters are set up for.....these are MPPT controllers that do a neat job of stepping down the in voltage to the system voltage, and giving you the extra as amperage. My amps in will run 20-25, and out will be in the 40amp range.

24v bank of Absolyte 2v AGM GNP II cells 1200amp/hr, The finest set of batteries in the world ! 3000lbs of awesome !

2-GTFX2524 2500w Outbacks producing 120/240 AC, A pair of 2500w ( each ) Outback inverters connected by a Mate/Hub system to produce true 120/240 AC power.

Trimetric monitor. Battery monitor
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks I really appreciate the break down on your signature that help so much.
  • quid_non
    quid_non Solar Expert Posts: 48
    Options

As to the system specs in the sig line, here's the breakdown on mine:

18-175watt Solarworld panels: Just what it says....18 panels of 175watts each, 10 panels on one array ( group of panels on one mount ) and 8 on another. Solarworld is the brand of the panel. These produce about 35 volts at about 5 amps each.

Mounted on two home built single axis powered trackers: The two arrays are mounted on tracking mounts that move in one axis.....east to west all day long so the panels stay closer to perpendicular to the sun, and thus produce more power than fixed mount panels.

2 MX60's Those are Outback brand 60amp charge controllers that take the voltage coming in from the panels ( I have the panels wired in pairs of two that produce 70v ) and change it to 27v or so for charging my batteries and what the inverters are set up for.....these are MPPT controllers that do a neat job of stepping down the in voltage to the system voltage, and giving you the extra as amperage. My amps in will run 20-25, and out will be in the 40amp range.

24v bank of Absolyte 2v AGM GNP II cells 1200amp/hr, The finest set of batteries in the world ! 3000lbs of awesome !

2-GTFX2524 2500w Outbacks producing 120/240 AC, A pair of 2500w ( each ) Outback inverters connected by a Mate/Hub system to produce true 120/240 AC power.

Trimetric monitor. Battery monitor[/QUOTE]

TnAndy - that's an awsome system youput together. How many KWh's do you use on an average day?

Thanks
    Wayne
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Options

Wayne,

We use 25 or so a day, and produce about 15 of them.