AGM brand : Univeral Battery

lamplight
lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
guys just came across these.. anyone know anything about them? they make UPS battery replacements and ive used their batts a few times in that regard.. now i see they are selling larger agms for RE use. very competitively priced.. about $400 for 200ah@12v (20hr rate).

i didnt want to add onto my other thread asking about agms as this seems a different topic:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=5580

thanks!

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: AGM brand : Univeral Battery

i haven't heard of them, but the more the merrier as it'll add competition and more choices.
  • lamplight

actually you can get the 200ah even cheaper!! they are listed as a 1 yr warranty but no info is posted that i can find that lists how many cycles to expect, etc , ive just emailed the manufacturer and a dealer so we'll see what we get.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

AGM does not equal deep cycle. AGM is a method of construction, and says nothing at all about the thickness of the plates or the actual quality of the construction.

Just for example, we have sold the Concorde AGM's for nearly 10 years. During that time we have not had one single premature failure or defect. (by "premature" I mean that none have had to be replaced except for some very old ones that finally just wore out).

On the other hand, for a short time in 2005 we sold some Chinese made ones that were about 20% cheaper. After having to replace over 1/4 of them in the first 3 months, we dropped them.
  • lamplight

yea.. exactly. which is why im asking them about how many rated cycles they should be good for, and asking here. these are being sold on a few solar sites in the battery sections, so they must be for deep cycle use, but again, it doesnt actually SAY so, so im trying to find out.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

If you are talking about this brand, even the manufacturer does not claim they are deep cycle, even though I see some dealers stating that they are.

We do not sell them, and do not plan to in the future.