what sucks?

Options
raytech
raytech Solar Expert Posts: 30 ✭✭
2 deep cycles and 126 watts of panels. well those are great. but an entire weekend of rain. that sucks. i made it through the weekend camping (primitive) with my children (3 & 5) and the inverter signaled that the voltage was to low on sunday morn about 9:00. only got about 4 hours of sunlight all weekend. and the battery voltage went up very quickly in that time.

and i got chewed up by mosquitoes.

you got a story that sucks?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: what sucks?

You just described what the whole month of June was like here! :cry: But at least I didn't have to placate two small children the whole time. Not for many years now.

Come to that, I'm still running the gen most days, although due to 'special projects' eating up too much power.
  • raytech
    Options

yeah, but it felt good that i could flick a switch and have light. I also keep battery LEDs just in case. Plus many other fail safes. Overall, by trying to be (I don't want to say it) greener, I have learned conservation. And it makes me feel better.:blush:
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    raytech wrote: »
    yeah, but it felt good that i could flick a switch and have light. I also keep battery LEDs just in case. Plus many other fail safes. Overall, by trying to be (I don't want to say it) greener, I have learned conservation. And it makes me feel better.:blush:

I completely agree!

And if everyone with their unlimited grid power had to experience 'X Watt/hrs per day' for one month they'd have a better appreciation of just how valuable power really is. We're too spoiled with our electrical opulence.
  • raytech
    Options

i have been planning on a shack house for quite some time. which is basically a garage or pole shed. just can't find land. i only need a lot, not 40 acres. i can easily live in my 1964 camper. then i could be free
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    raytech wrote: »
    i have been planning on a shack house for quite some time. which is basically a garage or pole shed. just can't find land. i only need a lot, not 40 acres. i can easily live in my 1964 camper. then i could be free

Prices are down now, and may go a bit further down. Just be ready to buy. Have you
    looked into any of the on-line Real Estate sites ?

"Lots" are generally in the cities, and have much more restrictions on how you can live, but something like 1 acre should give you more freedom.

http://www.unitedcountry.com/

http://www.zillow.com/
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

mike.... thank you for posting that link "unitedcountry", they have land that other realtors dont have, looking to move from east, TN to the MT area. Raw Land. So I can build that "shack", 2yrs out; but my wife and I are scraping every penny we can so our dream can come true! But in the mean time, we are doing PV, so our electric usage can be adjusted, so it wont be a big shock on what it can and cant do. But when we do go the PV system is coming with us.:D
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Slappy wrote: »
    mike.... thank you for posting that link "unitedcountry", they have land that other realtors dont have, looking to move from east, TN to the MT area. Raw Land. So I can build that "shack", 2yrs out; but my wife and I are scraping every penny we can so our dream can come true! But in the mean time, we are doing PV, so our electric usage can be adjusted, so it wont be a big shock on what it can and cant do. But when we do go the PV system is coming with us.:D

For the Montana area you might also take a look at Windermere's site:

http://www.windermere.com/
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks DWH i will put that in fav folder also!
  • raytech
    Options

I have been watching the MLS in my area plus the local papers. cant find anything. best I found was 3500 for .58 acres. that is so sad. I have looked for both in town and out of town, farm/hunting/recreation. nothing cheaper. it sucks
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just because property is "cheap" doesn't mean it is a bargain. Calculating infrastructure costs can add as much or more to any purchase price.
    Water/sewer/septic/power/gas/access are but a few of the costs. I have to chuckle at the earlier post about "living for free!" Just like all that "free" solar power we all harvest.

Icarus
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    icarus wrote: »
    Calculating infrastructure costs can add as much or more to any purchase price.
    Water/sewer/septic/power/gas/access are but a few of the costs.

2 dry wells means the ridgetop site (which needs a road for a firetruck) is not an option, and the road $ just turned into Pond construction $. Pond water needs filtering and treatment, so 2 more tanks and pumps...... a few of the costs
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not to diverge to sharply, but people often complain about their local tax rates, but when you REALLY think about it, municipal water, fire protection, police, roads, sewers, and other services that those taxes pay for, comes pretty cheap in some fashion.

Yep. "life in the country's kinda laid baaaack,,,,,"

Tony
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    icarus wrote: »
    Not to diverge to sharply, but people often complain about their local tax rates, but when you REALLY think about it, municipal water, fire protection, police, roads, sewers, and other services that those taxes pay for, comes pretty cheap in some fashion.

Yep. "life in the country's kinda laid baaaack,,,,,"

Tony

Laid back indeed. Like having to cut and split your wood for heating, haul in gas & propane fuel, maintain your own well, septic, road ... If anything goes wrong, it's your problem alone.

It's definitely a lifestyle choice. You not only have to want the serenity of isolation, but also enjoy the challenge of keeping everything going yourself. At least to some extent. :D
  • raytech
    Options

the challenges are kinda a reason for me to be self sufficient. if it were easy and idiot proof, there would be no power and gas companies. I was camping again this weekend and went for a primitive site, which I will continue to do. I love the fact that I can walk into my camper and flip the switch for light/fan/clock/cell charger/not fridge :D. It feels good. I know that is kinda conceited, but I am proud of what I have done, and I save money every time i go camping. but i want to save money permanently.

I only use the camper to store everything and to sleep. plus it is a place for my children to change clothing or retreat from bad weather. I even split all my own wood with an axe at my campsite, though i plan to build a manual wood splitter. after swinging an axe all weekend my herniated discs are kinda mad at me.

I plan on installing a gravity feed water system and a rooftop water heating system, which can also be used as a warm water heating system for inside.

I look forward to designing, building and using my new systems I have planned. once those are complete, I plan to turn my attention to building a reliable and serviceable (plug and play if you will) solar panel that can remain in the elements.