The future of "small scale" wind!

Options
icarus
icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
Just found this real coo wind turbine. I think is solves all kind of maintenance issues!
http://www.greenwindsolar.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=158&osCsid=6a3aeb1df44003e83dd8f6b0216e0ff5

Tony

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: The future of "small scale" wind!

You are cruel Tony... (we don't have enough emoticons here to properly reflect your cruelty :roll: ).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

and in my opinion it gets moved from wind generation as it is tony's opinion of a product with bill's opinion of tony's opinion. anyone care to buy one and give us a review of its performance?:roll: i wonder what the $/w is.:cry::p
  • dulley
    dulley Registered Users Posts: 18
    Options

{ $99.95 } I would give them $15 for it if it worked
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

I couldn't find any specs! How many will I need to run my house? :p

$100 for $5 worth of stuff in plastic. Wish I was on the receiving end of that profit.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have ordered 5,000 of them! I got a 10% discount so it only cost be $450,000 for my estimated 2.5 kw grid tie system system. I expect the noise to be managable, as the frequency should be high enough such that I won't be able to hear it,, or I will think it is humming birds.

My guess is that if the thing put out ~2 watts in total it would be a lot. I suspect the Pv is under a watt, and I can't imagine the "wind turbine" putting out more than 1 watt. If a 15 ft sq swept area wind turbine puts out about 50 watts in a 10 mph wind, if this is 1/1000th the swept area, that would be .05 watts? Imagine how well it would work tied to the car antenna! Faster dad, faster!

Tony
  • Truth Squad
    Truth Squad Solar Expert Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Options

Another product that needs to go back into time so it can today be dumped on the "Dumb Fads And Ideas From The 1970s" pile.
  • AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    Options

Saw this featured on treehugger.com recently and got mad how stupid these amateur journalists can get. People with zero technical understanding. And some people buy into it.
  • JetMech
    JetMech Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey! Anything that looks like a turbine engine can't be all bad...

:p