Midnite Solar E-panel questions

machineman
machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
I'm looking at purchasing an E-panel with Magnum MSAE-4024 (120V/240V) + AGS. This pre-built combo kit prices out to be $3400 at a different site complete with lighting arrestors. However if I piece part it out on NAWS (E-panel + Magnum + AGS) it comes out $400 cheaper. Sounds like a better deal on NAWS. Anyway the list of e-panel items included on NAWS does not include lighting arrestors.

Do all e-panels all come with lighting arrestors?
Do US e-panels come with a DC-GFP beaker?
I might attach a Xantrex XW controller rather than the speified Outback Flex60, is it a correct assumption that the wireing and compatabity are the same regardless?

Thanks,

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank

Comments

• nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Re: Midnite Solar E-panel questions

The E Panels do not come with Delta LA as standard. You would be best dropping a line to Robin at Midnight Solar on the compatability of the XW cc with the e panels suitable with the Magnum units.

I also dont think they come with a Dc GFP Breaker again check with Robin or his team Ive always found them extremely helpful.

Nigel
  • Robin Gudgel
    Robin Gudgel Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭

The MidNite E-Panels do not come with a DC-GFP or lightning arrestors. The Delta's have marginal value since they do not actually fire off until many thousands of volts. Every one in the solar industry uses them, but when MidNite finishes the arrestor project, we will finally have one that works. MidNite offers two different DC-GFP's. The 63 amp din rail version is suited for 60 amp controllers and the 80 amp panel mount version works with the higher powered controllers. If you choose to use the XW controller, you do not need to purchase an outboard DC-GFP because it is built into the controller. This is a nice feature that helps to keep costs down. The MidNite Classic will have it built in also. Almost forgot, we now have 300 volt 50 amp din rail DC-GFP's in stock too.
    The difference in price for the pre-wired system and the one Naws has listed as separate components is mostly due to labor. Some of the pr-wired systems advertised on the internet actually come from MidNite. We build, test and crate the systems for various dealers and distributors. We just don't advertise them because other distributors do assemby also and we don't want to be competing with our customers. This is all about to change due to a recent announcement from a well known company that will be offering pre-wired systems. MidNite will be coming out with specific models of Magnum, OutBack, Apollo and possibly other pre-wired systems.
    If you have the skills to wire up your own system, save that $400 and do it yourself. That was always the goal of our E-Panel. Make it simple enough for average consumers to be able to do it all by themself. When you live off-grid it is good to know every inch of your system. There is no better way than to build it yourself. The folks here at Naws ain't going away, so you can expect expert advice for free.
    Go for it.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Robin!

In case people here don't know Robin has beed designing equipment for solar electric for several years. Here's a bit of backgrond;

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/Evolution%20of%20the%20E-Panel.pdf

My Pulse/Trace PC250 (power center), Designed by Robin, helped me to meet code!

A great resource here!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • machineman
    machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

OK great. So if I just buy the MNE250STM-L-240 e-panel then all I need to do is get my own interconnect wires from the Magnum and Zantrex XW CC. No other components needed? I'm going to purchase within the next month. My system is off-grid.

Thanks,
    Tom

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank

• halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

The E-panel will come with the ac and dc wiring to the magnum you will have to install and wire the breakers for the charge controller. As well as lightning arrestor's if you install them. The E-panel will be very self explanatory once you get it.