Solar Presentation package

Options
gpt
gpt Registered Users Posts: 18
Hi, I'm just starting out in the solar business. I'm putting together some quotes for clients and thought there must be some standard package that people use to give cost breakdown, rebates, electricity produced, savings....is there such an animal? Thanks in advance

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Presentation package

one package that fits all doesn't exist, well at least here on naws it doesn't.
  • gpt
    Options

Thanks. So what combination of packages do most installers use?
  • niel
    Options

to my knowledge naws has no "packages" as each system has its own unique needs. the idea is to not settle into the closest package, but to address actual wants and needs on an individual basis. take for instance if one wants a 1kw system, but wants brand a mppt controller and not brand b mppt controller with brand a being reserved for packages above 2kw. even if the brand b may be better for the 1kw system that individual may wish to expand into the other system. this applies to batteries and inverters too. there isn't a straightforeword one way of doing things and the so called savings on these package systems just aren't there or are so small as to not be worth compromising on what one wants and needs on a particular installation. i believe the closest naws would come to that would be the better pricing on some higher quantities of some items.
    i hope i spoke as windsun would have and beyond this windsun may comment as i only help moderate for him.
  • gpt
    Options

Thanks for the response Neil. I guess I should clarify my question a bit. What I was looking for was a package to give to the client, with all the bells and whistles, like graphs, savings charts, electricity production...after I have done a site analysis and have the hardware configuration determined for that site. Thanks
  • niel
    Options

ok. well some of the guys here do track their power on their systems and maybe some of them can elaborate on what they get and will share some with you. what ever you do, don't guarantee somebody to get x amount of power as the season, weather, equipment efficiencies, and unforeseen things like tree growth, dust and even bird poop to name a few play roles that affect output.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    gpt wrote: »
    Thanks for the response Neil. I guess I should clarify my question a bit. What I was looking for was a package to give to the client, with all the bells and whistles, like graphs, savings charts, electricity production...after I have done a site analysis and have the hardware configuration determined for that site. Thanks

You are looking for a template of a pre-sales package.

I think any company that had spent the money to pay someone to create such a thing would regard it as "intellectual property" and probably also as "work for hire".

Which means I *highly* doubt that anyone would just give you such a thing for free.

Never hurts to ask, though I think you'll end up having to make your own, and then you won't be giving it away for free either.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

I've spent about 6 months on each of two leased software products for doing solar estimations. OnGrid from Andy Black and the Clean Power Finance tool. They work, but both are designed for the California market and had trouble being accurate and useful in my area. Ended up building my own sophisticated spreadsheet version which runs 10 times faster and gives me complete power over the equations and results. You can forget about me selling it let alone giving it away for free.
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Options

I dont think that an off the peg garment exists in supplying a Solar Business package because some of the variables include

Local RE sources such as Wind , Hydro Power as well as PVs
    Clients Needs

Solar is only one option and not the only option.

To exclude other forms on energy capture b4 a site visit and consultation with the client is fool hardy.

I have a rule of thumb for my locality and available sun shine but a site visit and asking the wants and needs of the client are equally important b4 I give my reccomendations.

HTH Nigel
  • gpt
    Options

Thanks, I appreciate your input.
  • SSofAZ
    SSofAZ Registered Users Posts: 8
    Options

GPT....

If you are computer savvy enough, you can make a fantastic pricebook/graphs presentatiopn/cost breakdown/etc from Excel. You need to understand all of the equations/utility on peak/off peak rates etc.

That is how I do all of my bidding and job breakdowns. The great thing is that it can all be exported into Quickbooks for your accounting.
  • gpt
    Options

Thanks, I'm trying to figure out excel now.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Reports from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory's (NREL) "PV Watts" programs may provide you part of the information you're looking for.

See: http://www.nrel.gov/rredc/pvwatts/

For example, if you'd like to model a system in, say, Mt. Laurel, NJ, you could try modelling it for nearby Philadelphia: http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/calculators/PVWATTS/version1/US/Pennsylvania/

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • solarf.helen
    solarf.helen Registered Users Posts: 6
    Options
    crewzer wrote: »
    Reports from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory's (NREL) "PV Watts" programs may provide you part of the information you're looking for.

See: http://www.nrel.gov/rredc/pvwatts/

For example, if you'd like to model a system in, say, Mt. Laurel, NJ, you could try modelling it for nearby Philadelphia: http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/calculators/PVWATTS/version1/US/Pennsylvania/

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer

Thanks. Nice place to get more info.