New to Solar Few Questions about not draining battery too much

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I received a Sunforce 60w kit from my wife recently. I set it up on the kids playhouse and have used it to power the lights and a fan in the playhouse. I picked up a 55ah deep cycle (not a hybrid marine) battery for this.

How do I monitor or tell the current energy remaining in the battery? As this is just a hobby I'd prefer to either homebrew this or find an item that is not overly expensive.

Also is there a way to have the battery cut off to the inverter when it hits 50%?

Other than that, thanks for all the information I've been able to gather from this forum, it has been great.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: New to Solar Few Questions about not draining battery too much

A good place to start would be to read a Battery FAQ. Not because I am lazy (well, I am, but that is a different story :roll: )... But because it gives you a pretty good holistic view of a storage battery.

Short answer, there are several ways of seeing how much energy there is left in a flooded cell storage battery.

1. Use a hydrometer (and thermometer) to measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte. Messy but accurate.

2. Let the battery rest (no charging or discharging) for several hours and use an accurate DVM to measure the resting voltage. Less accurate and a pain in that you can only do this after the battery has sat unused for a few hours.

3. Use a "cumulative" amp*hour or watt*hour meter that keeps track of the current going into/out-of the battery. Accurate and represents the state of charge at anytime (use, charging, setting unused).

There are not cheap battery monitors (there is at least one Xantrex high end model that does include a programmable output that can be set to 50% battery capacity transition), and there are relatively inexpensive ones that are used by RC hobbyists.

To turn off loads if the battery is over 50% discharged... Not easy to do... The output voltage of a battery is load, charge, and temperature dependent. So a simple "voltage sensor" will not be very accurate at setting the 50% decision point.

Programmable voltage controlled switch

Or you can use mechanical timers (from Home Depot, etc.) so that the lights are on only if the kids are their (turns off after 1 hour automatically).

Or there are electronic timers:

Flexcharge DC Timer Controller

Or, if you have not purchased a charge controller, you can pick one that has a Low Voltage Disconnect (LVD).

MorningStar Charge Controllers

Also, to ensure the battery is not run dead--look at using very low power lamps (CFL, LED, etc.) instead of filament bulbs.

Questions?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset