CT CCEF rebate a scam?

Options
Solaryellow
Solaryellow Registered Users Posts: 10
I was checking out some packages online for a complete 5K-6k watt grid tie for my all electric house..

I saw several in the $35K range.

Last year the CCEF in CT was paying $5 watt for the first 5000 watts.
And $4.20 for the remaining up to 10,000 watts total.

Using this rebate, the system should cost about $10,000 out of pocket.
Throw in the old $2,000 fed rebate, it was $8,000

Heck of a deal, so I thought...........until they told me I had to use one of their handpicked installers to get the rebate...

Naturally the prices were going to be much higher, and from a few examples, the package was going to cost over $25,000....
I could get the system myself for almost that price, is the labor really $15,000 to put a system in.. a simple raised ranch, perfect southerly exposure. 400 SQFT roof space..

How in the world does the government expect people to go green when it isn't no where near economical?

I could have literally covered 75 percent of my electric use, as I burn bio, CORN/Pellets to heat my home, the rest amounted to 600KWH month average.

Anyway, I see now the FED rebate of 30 percent... does that come before or after any state rebates?

CT now lowered their credit to $4.60 watt I believe, but this could actually work in my favor now, and not take 18 years for the system to pay for itself...

I want to do my own work except the inverter install, I have an electrician already..

Any thoughts...

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: CT CCEF rebate a scam?

You will, most likely, need the sign-off of a licensed structural engineer (for wind/snow loading of solar panel / roof mounting), building permits, and inspections.

Also, power companies can be quite specific in their installation requirements too.

Regarding the Fed tax credit... There was a discussion here.

Apparently, there is currently no requirement that state and local rebates need to be deducted before calculating the Federal Tax Credit... But tax law changes often (the deduction rule apparently changed for 2009).

I would not expect the current tax treatment to last for long (Feds have already run out of our money to give away :grr ).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solaryellow
    Options

Wow, looks even more complicated now..

I have dealt with the building inspector when I built my additions.
    So I guess that part shouldn't be too big a problem.

I know my roof load ratings, they are stamped somewhere in my house..

But I didn't anticipate having to become a CPA in the process as well.

What is the typical weight/load sqft of any given roof mount system?

I have 2 parts to the roof, one done with 12" laminate, which would hold with no question.
    The rest was 6" but I am curious as to a typical load for a rack mount.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

You will have to have your roof mounting structures be at a minimum signed off by a PE, this is not a DIY thing and part of the reason having a turn-key system costs what it does.

With 4.60 watt rebate and a tax credit for the entire system cost of 30%, regardless if you go turn key your still looking at a very good ROI

If you have a quote for 35K installed, you get 10500 tax credit and 21,000 rebate , that's a final net cost 3500 for a 5kW system ( assuming the 35k was your quote for a 5kW system )
  • Solaryellow
    Options

If that math was correct, then sign me up!!!

But I do have to disagree somewhat with the not being a DYI project...

All through the 80's solar panel systems were DYI projects.

Just like building additions..
    Get permits, follow codes, get inspected, get signed off.

Of course there are people who may not follow codes, and of course they will wind up paying more in cost if they keep screwing up, but in my case, I can install this minus the grid tie part, which an electrician would be ideal for..
    I even heard the power company will give the new meter for free as well..

$35,000 is about what I have seen for the 5-6k kits, but I can guarentee the installer will be double that to start, so when the rebate kicks in, it looks like a great deal..

No offense to installers, I know they have to make a living, but I bet they would get more bites if it actually became reasonable.
    ROI for me has to be 8 years to less...
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

We sell the parts only for for a 7.5 kw system for around $30k http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/wind-sun/7kw-gridtie.pdf

Installation is around $6-9K, but we only install locally.
  • Solaryellow
    Options

Thanks WindSun.

I am going to check out some local guys and pick their brains.

If the CT rebate is in place and they can answer the fed rebate part clearly, and they come up with a number more in line with reality, this project will happen.
    I am going to use the example you provided for a package, evem though i was looking
    At Mitsubishi panels.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

I came across your post about the CCEF rebate. Installed cost for a 5-6 kW system around $35-40K is not unreasonable depending on the type of panel, though the incentive levels you mentioned are a thing of the past. Right now there is no incentive from the CCEF for purchasing a system. They are talking about reinstating an incentive very soon, but at less than $2/watt. The CCEF's solar lease program (ctsolarlease.com) can make a lot of economic sense if you have a good site for solar PV.

Full disclosure: I'm not a pushy salesperson, but I do work for an installation company in CT. I'd be happy to talk to you about the incentives and costs in more detail. Shoot me a message if you'd like.

Dan