xantrex xw 60 mppt CC

Options
Dapdan
Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
Hi all,

I am considering buying a new CC. Any one on this distinguished forum has any experience with the new xantrex cc. i have seen alot of ref. to the OB (pros and cons) but not alot the the xw. it is relatively new but has been out since the end of 07. Anyone care to voice their opinion on an apple to apple comparison to the new flexmax from OB. I am aware of the new CC from midnite, i have already decided that i am going to get one (although i dont know how long i have to wait) so i will have two.

Cheers
Damani

Comments

• halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: xantrex xw 60 mppt CC

the xantrex unit works well it does what it is supposed to. so far with my testing and 2 of my customers testing we have been happy it is quite and just works. so far they dont seem to have any of the little glitches the FM series does.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

The XW is more modern controller, doesn't use a fan and doesn't need any setup to work and the firmware can be updated in the field if the need should ever arise.

I've only heard of one bad unit from the initial production run, was taken care of under warranty. It's also fully Class B FCC compliant and has the GFD bulit in, no other controller has all these features.

I've done extensive side-by-side testing, as half says, it just works while other controllers exhibit a number of non-optimum quirks.
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
    Options

thanks sg & 1/2,

i good to know your op on it. I have been on your forum sg and have researched threads on the xw and everything seems to be positive. I haven't seen much in the recent 6 months. have they sorted out the difficult "knock out" problem yet.

cheers
    Damani
  • Solar Guppy
    Options

the knockout issue was on the XW-6048 inverter, not the mppt unit. I haven't heard field reports either way on if there are changes. I have allot of experience on removing knockout and didn't have any issues but I'm not the type to keep pounding on something and will use a small drill bit if necessary at the point its solid
  • halfcrazy
    Options

I would say the KO's on the XW are easy to remove they are easier than the 3 FM series i have messed with but as SG said i dont see that as a big issue.

On a side not Xantrex has done a good job with FCC compliance they even separate the DC Conductors and the Communications cables with a good thick piece of steel. I dont know if it is a lot "Quieter" then the competition but it wold seem it has to be?
  • Solar Guppy
    Options

The XW is certified FCC Class B, all the other manufactures don't even meet FCC Class A, they are basically unshielded RF generators. The FM is very RF noisy, but not as bad as say the BlueSky controllers, they are really really bad RF wise.
  • halfcrazy
    Options

Good to know SG i keep thinking i want to start messing with Ham radios but i may have to much noise production right now.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options
    The XW is certified FCC Class B, all the other manufactures don't even meet FCC Class A, they are basically unshielded RF generators. The FM is very RF noisy, but not as bad as say the BlueSky controllers, they are really really bad RF wise.

Good point, and one that is often overlooked in choosing a controller and/or inverter system - both of which can be pretty noisy RF wise.

We do not sell BZ, but one unit we tested about 3 years ago was also very noisy. The Morningstar MPPT controller appears to be about in the middle, but we did not really test it much, just observation from a couple of setups.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting regarding the XW CC NOW being FCC Class B. Initally it was NOT Class B. Recall SG stating that it was, but in checking Regulatory Approvals on the then-current Data Sheet FCC Class B was not listed. In an exchange with Xantrex, they admitted that it did not pass B, and initial production units shipped would NOT be Class B : ...

http://www.xantrex.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=502&PN=2

Now in looking at the PDF DS, it DOES say FCC Class B.

SSOOOO, if someone like myself wanted to make certain that the unit purchased was REALLY Class B, and not an old unit in distribution, is there a NEW P/N to make absolutely sure ?? And, normally, there is a sitcker for Class B, or it is often on the main sticker on the product, but woluld one be able to see some Mark on the product stating that that exact unit IS Class B ??

Have taken almost every effort at my off-grid Hammie Radio site to eliminate/reduce/contain RFI. The CC is now the largest source on noise (have done external suppression). Have been waiting to see the Midnite Classic, as it seems most flexible, and will be about 2 years newer in design when it ships than the XW CC.

Will try asking this on the X Forum, BUT The Big X seems to completely ignore THEIR Forum these days.

TIA for any concrete info. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

vic,
    i'd be curious of what noise, how strong it is, and at what frequencies you see it, not to mention if this is entering via the antenna and seen on your radio(ant mounted where in relation to the mx) or is it being encountered in some other way? have you asked outback about it at all and if so, what was their response?
    how sure are you it's the mx? i know i used to think my pc was radiating spurious rf, but low and behold i stumbled upon the culprit by accident when i shut off my dsl modem one day. that's right, it is dirtier than sin and i tried another model modem too to see what it did and it was the same result.
  • Vic
    Options

Hi Neil,

Well, YES almost all of the noise is the MX-60. It it conducted, then radiated. All of the ins and outs from the MX are in pipe, but even if all of my efforts were perfect in suppressing RFI, still, the PV array would have a large opportunity to radiate any conducted noise. I DO need to improve the common-mode chokes on the MX's ins and outs, as this is prob the largest win, now.

Isolating the antennas from the PV array is VERY helpful. Have an antenna for 160 M which runs near the PV array, and this is the largest problem. The emissions are larger on lower frequencies, and the 160 M antenna is 270 feet long, so lotta opportunity to collect the noise signal. OK, the MX's noises are in the form of stable, and fairly clean carriers, spaced 25 Khz apart. On the 160 M antenna, they may be about S7-to S9 on 160, about S5-S6 on 80/75 and so on. One of the frequencies is approx 3759.5 Khz. Also, seems that odd multiples are at a different signal level than the even ones -- ie, one noise carrier is louder than one one just above or just below. The noise goes away away when the controller sleeps.

And the only way that I found that there was a hurt FET in the controller, was that it would "make power from darkness". That is, it would allow battery voltage to leak through a bad FET, and run the MPPT at night. Would read about 90 Volts in, would "make" about 80 Watts or so. I would hear the noise that I knew from experience was the MX, but in complete darkness -- MAGIC. The fan would even run at times. Told OB that they should patent this magic, but instead, they had me send the MX back for repair.

So, that is my experience. A further note, you can tell what mode the MX is in by listening to one of the noise carriers. Bulk, it is constant level. In Asorb, the level changes as the MX PWMs to setpoint, and Float the carrier level changes more abruptly (poorly described). Have no Mate, so at times listening the the MX helps me determine its mode, and weather it is time to begin using XS solar input.

The X 5548 SW+s do have a small, borad-band swiching birdie which moves in frequency. IT is about S 0.3 while using an 80 M wire antenna. It is not too obnoxious. The chargers in the Inverters might generate larger signals (tho I've not heard them), but seldom need to run the generator to charge the batts.

That is about all from here. Have all power runs in pipe, have even used a totally sheilded Romex type house wiring from Coleman called CorraFlex. It has a corrogated extruded aluminum "shield" on the outside, which is continuous, not a spiral wind as in MC cable. This shield is very much like that on Andrew Hardline. There still are cords on electrical things, but think each little thing that is done to reduce/contain noise helps. The most important thing to help reduce received noise seems to be isolation of antennas from the PV array/power generation area, and running all interconnects in pipe. The power room is a steel Cargo Container, which alwo helps ( I think).

73 Just my personal observations. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hm, interesting. I never even thought about possible noise from the charge controller! I'll have to listen in some more and see if I hear anything on my system. (Haven't been on HF much since I got the FM-80 installed.)

It's still running at the moment, and I can't find a darn thing noise-wise. In fact, I seem to be having some remarkably good conditions today! Strong signals with low noise on all bands. Certainly if the FM-80 was an "unshielded RF generator" I ought to be hearing it. My wiring is not in conduit, I've done nothing for noise suppression, and the controller is mounted on the other side of the wall from my ham bench!

Sun's just about down though, only getting a few amps at this point. I'll try to listen around tomorrow when it's high and the CC is pushing more power, see if I notice anything.
  • Vic
    Options

Hi RandomJoe,

Well couple of other things ... Directional antennas and Coax feeds help. Essentially all of the noise from MY MX-60 is conducted by wiring and then radiated, not simply radiated ( in my experience) Separation of the antennas from the area where the PV is located/power produced/consumed seems to help reduce the noise.

AND, the FM series is newer, so it may have additional RFI suppression. Did once speak with ann OB engineer (not boB) who was looking at the emissions issues with the MX-60. My 20-6 Meter Yagi is very quiet, unless I point in the direction of the PV array, and then the noise is much lower than on the lower bands. On the lower bands, the filters are less effective, and the antenna has larger aperture area (I think that is the term) -- collection area. And on the lower bands it is often more difficult to seperate the antenna from the power production area.

But is is great that you have not noticed any noise from UR system ! I do realize that if the noise is a big problem in a certain situation, will simplly drop the PV in breaker -- noise gone !

The person on this Forum who really knows the MX-60 Hardware is boB, and perhpas he will correct any of my errors, but he and Robin are busy finishing the design of the Midnite Classis MPPT CC, which many of have been waiting for !

73 Will look for your observations. Vic
  • Solar Guppy
    Options

The XW-Mppt was always intended to be class B compliant. It was only the initial production run, over 2 years ago I believe the failed and it was only by a few db's.

If your buying new, its very unlikely that it wouldn't be a complaint unit and if for some chance you did end up with a unit from the first production run, I would think you would have no issues getting it swapped by Xantrex.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Over the line by a couple dB is close ! And, in practical terms, probably close enough I think. The XW ~may~ have been a bit easier than other controllers to reduce RFI (other than RVPP & BZ), because of its lower switching efficiency hardware design.

It didn't look like there was any RF reduction on the MF unit I saw but maybe something has been done recently. On the MX, I used to have a 20 meter dipole right over the test PV modules outside of OB just for testing this stuff. Didn't get very far, but I will try much harder on the Classic. I would be happy just to get near the class B line.

Yes, the bands were very good today. I am happy to have HF mobile again too ! I wanted to get a hybrid car, but have decided not to because I hear that hybrid cars are VERY bad RFI generators !

boB :D
  • niel
    Options

hmmm. even after taking steps it still radiates? sometimes a bad connection could setup rectification and that is tough to reduce. it may be good enough of a connection for dc purposes though. one thing is for sure and that is that only dc needs to pass so you can throw everything you can think of at the problem.
  • Vic
    Options

Hi boB, thanks for the additional info. Had wondered about Hybrid's RFI profile. About the bands, YES, surprising that with a lil flux, but no sunspots for ages, that there is still propagation to desirable places.

Thanks SG for added info on the XW CC. Have noticed that Solar distribution often does not seem to work at rotating inventory -- FIFO. Often not a huge thing, tho.

Neil, first, the quest for noise reduction is a bit obsessive on my part. My Off-Grid location is, really, exclusively for Hammie Radio. The background noise is S 0.00 exclusive band noise (Slolar events) & Lightning static. there are many workable stations with S1 signal or lower. SSOOO noises generated by my power system are very noticeable, and important. No measure is complete. All of my measures have been to REDUCE noise, not completely elinimate it. As one get reasonable noise reduction the next dB is that much more difficult to achieve. And finally, I am not being very scientific in my efforts -- Take my best guess at what is the best bang for the cost/effort. There are some variables that I am not controlling and so on.

Think that Ive kinna hijacked this thread, but some interesting info for me, at least.
    Thanks, Vic . .
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

Revisiting this thread, as I have found noise on HF that is from my Outback system. Fortunately, looks like I may be able to do something about this noise. It's a very rhythmic white-noise "static crash" at 1 second intervals, S-1 to S-2 on all HF bands. Same thing no matter the mode of the FM-80. Well, that made me suspect the communications between the FM-80, FN-DC and Mate.

Sure enough, unplugging the FM-80 from the communications hub - which kills power to it - made things go nice and silent again!

Heh. I can even watch the Mate, and its display updates exactly as each "static crash" hits on the radio! :roll:

Odd that I didn't hear it the day I posted earlier, but well... I was probably focused more on obvious electronic-induced noises, instead of a "static crash" and just didn't notice it. I'll have to round up some of those ferrite cores for the cabling and see if they'll take care of this...

Edit:
    Ah-hah! Now I know why I didn't notice this before. The problem isn't with the Mate comms, it's with the USB/serial adapter I use to collect data from the Mate! I didn't have that set up back then. It's been running for a while though, and I forgot about it. Just noticed the cable, killed the data-collector program and no more noise!

Well, at least I can temporary-fix that without going out to the garage...! :p
  • niel
    Options

try some toroids on it and see what happens. make them big with as many turns as you can get.