P2000 insulation - does anyone have experience?

Options
Hi all
Just got some info from a friend about "P2000" insulation. Sounds too good to be true, so is it? Anyone have any experience with it? Just one inch is claimed better than 6 inches fiber.

http://www.p2000insulation.ca/

Thanks
Wayne

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Re: P2000 insulation - does anyone have experience?

An update.
    Here in Canada, the P2000 product is not sold through normal channels, rather it appears to me that they want it to be surrounded with a kind of mystery, implicating it's a super secret kind of thing, only sold through special distributors.
    A little research and I find it's EPS, Expanded Polystyrene, as in foam coffee cups.
    Wayne
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Here is another place that sells foil lined bats of "bubble wrap" plastic (may have been posted here before?):

http://www.insulation4less.com/

5mm thickness for R14.5 for their "best" rated material.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

those numbers for the r factor i suspect that would be based on a per inch basis even though they did not specify that. there's no way 5mm of any material will give r factors that high that i'm aware of.
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was jsut watching something about the insulation used in space suits and it was close to that. 5mm and about R14, it was amazing stuff, I would bet it is not cheap though ;)
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • System2
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Here is another place that sells foil lined bats of "bubble wrap" plastic (may have been posted here before?):

http://www.insulation4less.com/

5mm thickness for R14.5 for their "best" rated material.

-Bill

Do not buy from insulation4less.com , their customer service is horrible!! Especially if you are only buying a few rolls. 6 months has gone by and I still have not received the roll I ordered. Insulation4less "customer support" has been rude in every form of contact phone, email etc.

I even got one email that was just:

uhhh.

Who does this? Why even send and email at all??

Then the insulation4less VP/Customer service person recently wrote me:
    "Unfortunately I am not able to pull tracking because tracking info is deleted after 90 days. So please quit saying our company is trying to "screw" you. We sell enough insulation not to screw someone for 1 roll. "

I don't know what else to call it when you order something in March, they say they will send it at the end of March then they don't. Then after you call them and email them 10 times they finally tell you it will arrive in May but it never does... Sure sounds like being screwed to me (especially when the window for reporting a claim with a credit card is 60 days).

Apparently if you are not buying bulk insulation4less doesn't care much about your business. Do yourself a favor and buy the insulation from another company or home depot.

I have spent hours corresponding with information for less, and their unpleasant people and I still am one roll short off of an order from March.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'm sorry for the double move as i had placed it into the wrong place, but the links expire in 3-4 days.
    sonitaw,
    i would suggest you ask them for your money back if they can't deliver the product to you in a reasonable amount of time. the claim of r14.5/5mm is hoaky to me and that should've sent a signal to anybody thinking of buying this insulation as that is nearly r60/inch. nobody that i know of has anything that can deliver that much of an r factor/inch of thickness and that is imho a fraudulant claim if they make such a claim.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Sorry to hear that the company does not deliver/care about small orders.

I know nothing about the company or their product--was just provided as an alternative source to the original link in question.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    Options

I have made bad experience with insulation4less.com as well. Firs tof all my order did not arrive. After talking to customer service two times it got resent. This time the package was damaged. I returned it and contacted cusotmer service. It took over 4 weeks to receive a working product. Never again....
  • System2
    Options

We build homes in the Midwest and have for 25 years. A few years back we were approached about using p2000 in our homes and were very skeptical. After asking for as many tests and reviews we could get our hands on, we tried our first home with the product.

We have yet to use anything else and have nothing but glowing remarks for the p2000 product. Not only was it easier to install than our previous sip pannel insulation, it outperformed it by far!

If your interested here, http://walnutridgeloghomes.net/id107.html, is a link to the very fisrt home we used p2000 on. (its the first home on this page)

Also I want to end this by saying I have no connection to p2000 other than I use and reccomend it. I dont sell it, own stock in it, and I dont know the owners! I just like the product and have great success with it.

~Nick