where does a newbie start?

Options
ydydxhg
ydydxhg Registered Users Posts: 6
Hey guys, i am new to the whole solar power world. i mean totally new. i have no idea where to start.

can anyone tell me like what do i need to know/do and information i need to be researching?

thanks a lot :D

Comments

• Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: where does a newbie start?

It would be helpful to know what it is that you wish to know/do.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

ydydxhg,

Are you somewhere out of New Zealand?

Question... Are you looking for for On-Grid (connected to your AC mains to save money on your utility power)--or Off-Grid where there is no AC power around and you just need solar, wind, water turbine, and/or fuel driven Generator for local power?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ydydxhg
    Options

"Question... Are you looking for for On-Grid (connected to your AC mains to save money on your utility power)--or Off-Grid where there is no AC power around and you just need solar, wind, water turbine, and/or fuel driven Generator for local power?"

i guess i would like a off-grid system.

actually, i am not sure, i want to install a solar system in my house. i hear a lot about people make their own solar panels rather than buying and use everyday tools to make a fully functioned system to power their house.

i think this is what i am after.
    does this make sense to you guys?
  • BB.
    Options

There is no "right answer"--it really depends on your needs. But--solar Renewable Energy is not cheap (see here for some simple diagrams explaining various solar electric system options)...

Just to give you a rough idea (based on USD$ and US pricing):

$0.08-$0.30 per kWhr Utility Power
    $0.10-$0.30 per kWhr Grid Tied solar PV (assuming 20+ year life)
    $0.45-$0.70 per kWhr Grid Tied Solar + battery backup (assuming 20+ year life)
    $0.50-$2.00 per kWhr fuel based AC Generator
    $1.00-$2.00+ per kWhr Off-Grid solar (assuming 20 year life)

The above are very rough guesses at assigning a price for electricity from various power sources.

So--I would guess, that where ever you are, there is a ~10:1 ratio between the cost of grid supplied power and off-grid power.

If you have reliable grid power, then going off-grid is not going to save you any money in the foreseeable future.

If your grid power is unreliable (storms, insufficient capacity, etc.)--then some sort of battery backup (with or without solar power) is a common solution in many parts of the world.

If your utility will authorize a Solar Grid Tied Inverter system, and they offer you a competitive (i.e., subsidized) billing plan (in the US--typically, that is a 1-year net metering program... Basically, the meter turns forward if you use power, turns backwards if you generate power; at the end of one year, you either owe for the power you use, or don't owe anything if you break even or generated excess power--except a $5-$10 per month service charge).

Regarding building your own panels. Many people do it--but in the US it is not worth the trouble. In the US, you can buy "raw" solar cells for ~$0.50-$1.00 per watt on Ebay. And you can buy complete Safety Approved panels with 25 year warranty for $3-$5 per watt.

Home building your own panels that will last 25-40 years out of low iron tempered glass is probably near impossible (if they last a year or three--you are probably doing well). And many people build their own panels using plastic sheets. Which can be a problem when building larger arrays / systems (more than a few 10's of watts):

Panel Fire Question (pictures of array fire on home roof from plastic based solar panels)

If, you are interested in saving money--Spending your time and money on "extreme" conservation in/around your home is probably your first big task. Depending on where you live, and what your energy sources are (if you use non-electric sources for hot water, home heating, clothes drying, etc.)--Look at your current electric bill for how many kWhr per month you use...

The typical North American / European usage is probably around 600-1,000 kWhrs per month. The typical off-grid home probably uses less than 100 kWhrs per month. I find that 200-300 kWhrs per month is reasonably easy to do in my San Francisco CA USA home and family of four (no air conditioning, using natural gas for cooking, hot water, heating, drying).

Usually, spending your money in conservation is a much better return on your investment vs spending it on solar RE electric generation. Once you have done your conservation, then you can look at solar RE for your power.

One thing to look at is solar hot water -- most often this is the best return on investment of any solar RE project. However, it does come with a penalty of higher maintenance requirements (electric water pumps, leaky pipes, storage tank replacement over the years, etc.). And, in climates where freezing occurs--a more complex system with drain-back and/or antifreeze is required.

Next on investments is Solar Grid Tied electric (if allowed by your utility, and they have a good rate plan). Least amount of equipment and lowest maintenance requirements.

If you have backup power failure requirements--then a UPS (uninteruptable power supply--like used for computers) with or without solar power is a good solution. Can be small, just a few lights and a radio; or a whole house. There are some very nice Hybrid Grid Tied / Off Grid systems with Solar Panels and backup genset connections (see Xantrex XW system for an example).

Sort of down at the bottom, if you are in a windy location, is a Wind Turbine. Many are noisy, not very reliable, and expensive to maintain. Also, few locations are windy enough to support a smaller "home sized" wind turbine on their property. And small wind turbines rarely produce as much power as people expect.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

As has been suggested,, Define what you are trying to achieve. If "saving money" on your energy use is the goal,, you are not likely to find it with PV solar.

It has been suggested that your cheapest Renewable energy $$ is conservation,, and the rough number is for every dollar spend on conservation will save about $10 in PV costs.

Look to your household and your lifestlye,, and find every possible way to conserve energy use,, because if you don't use it,, you don't need to produce it. After you have done all the obvious things,, look very carefully at the less obvious things. Consider a Kill-a-watt meter to figure out where your current energy is going,,, and how you can reduce it. Find an eliminate ALL phantom loads,,, things like power supplys that are always on, even if they are not doing anything,, TV sets that draw considerable power even when they are "off" etc.

Read, learn and understand as much as possible about energy use/conservation before you make any investment in the technology. The biggest single mistake I see newbies making is "ready, fire,,,aim!" They get caught up in the idea/ideal of solar,, but fail to grasp some fundamentals,, and then they go off and by a selection of hardware, that as often as not, is not right for the job,, either in quality (a real problem) or capacity, or in basic design.

So spend some time,, welcome to the forum. There are some very smart and some very experienced folks here,,, some of whom are both. They have spent the time to invent the wheel so that folks like us don't have to be reinventing it at each turn.

Good luck,, and feel free to ask any other questions,

Tony
  • ydydxhg
    Options

wow~~

Many Thanks, Bill for your amazing information. that is extremely helpful!!!!
    and thanks Tony.

saving money is not totally my intention here. i would like to do good things to our environment as well.

i v done some reading yesterday and i saw a lot of people talk about "working out the size of the system" before actually building them.

i am not sure if i got it right, so basically if i want to power say my laptop (19.5v, 4.62A) for avg 5h/day, 30days/month. i need to calculate the power my laptop will use, which will be 19.5*4.62*5*30 / 1000 = 13.52 kwh. right?

but the how do i workout the size of my system?? or do need to know something else before i jump into this kind of details?
  • icarus
    Options

To generate those ~13 kwh,, you need to calculate in NET system efficiency. That is the name plate rating of the PV array,, associated wiring losses getting it to either the inverter (or in a battery system) or the charge controller. Then you have to calculate these loss, plus the losses incurred in charging a battery etc.

Bill has done many whole series of calculations for both battery based and grid tied systems. In the real world,, these numbers run from ~50% for a battery based system there are way more conversion losses with a battery based system) to ~95% for a large grid tie inverter system.

Additionally you have to calculate the average sun exposure you expect to get over any give period (day/week/month/year) Using this solar calculator :http://www.nrel.gov/rredc/pvwatts/
    can be a good start.

My GENERAL rule of thumb for battery based systems (that's all I know much about!) is the following. I take the name plate rating of the array,, divide it by 2, which is the average total losses through out the system,,, multiply that number by the number of hours of GOOD sun per day (~4) to give me a daily total. So for example,, if I had 100 watts of panel,,, 100/2=50X4=200 wh/day.

Small grid tie might be closer to 100X.75X4=300wh.

Good luck,, and keep up your reading,,,a much better strategy than "Ready, Fire, Aim.

Tony

PS Examples of system efficiency losses
    High panel temperature compensation 15-20% of name plate??
    PV array efficiency especially with panels with mixed Vmp ??%
    Line loss to any combiner box ~0-1%?
    Line loss to an inverter of charge controller ~0-2%??
    Charge controller efficiency 50-130% depending on design, loads, temperature battery state of charge
    Inverter efficiency 50-95% depending on load/design
    Basic battery charging efficiency, seldom more than ~80% for flooded batteries

So if you add all those up,, the DC load potential coming from the panels,, is diminished ~50% by the time you get 120vac out of the inverter in a typical off grid, battery based system... A not insignificant number.

One of the tricks with an off grid system is to use your power effectively during the day to improve efficiency. For example,, I pump my water during the day so I don't have to have any battery charging loss,,, making my water pumping ~20 more efficient just from the fact that I do it during the day. Same with any of our othe bigger loads. I charge the laptops and run the printers etc during the day for the same reasons. So that while my net usage is about 400 wh/day measured on the Tri-metric meter,, my "real" usage is somewhat higher since net/net it doesn't show up on the meter.

T
  • hillbilly
    hillbilly Solar Expert Posts: 334 ✭✭
    Options

You might want to check out some instruction from SEI, they have both hands on as well as online courses. They also put out an excellent beginners handbook on PV system design and installation. www.solarenergy.org
    A good place to start.
  • BB.
    Options

You still have not told us (approximately) where you live... Solar is based on Sunlight--If you are in a desert--you are "golden". If you are on the coast and have a heavy marine layer in the summer--you are sort of a "pale white". ;)

If you want to do what is right for the environment. Conserve. Then Solar Thermal, then Solar Grid Tied. Off-Grid solar is not good for the environment and is only good for your pocket book if you don't have power lines nearby.

Many people start with wanting to "...setup a home office/bedroom to run off of solar power."

In reality--it is not cost effective, and by the time you add lead acid batteries, and backup genset for winter use--it is not really that environmentally friendly.

Now, setting up a home office / emergency power for your personal education--perfectly OK. But realize, that you are paying for the education, and if you ever decide to make a larger system--few of the components will be reusable in the new system.

But, you can always keep the small system as a backup, move it to a cabin, or give/sell to somebody else that can use it (at this point, prices are pretty depressed for solar products--a good thing if you are buying systems--but may not be a "good investment" for future resale).

-Bill
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options

The place to start is by reading all the articles on the Arizona Wind & Sun web site.

Solar Electric Basics
    Solar Panels
    Solar Panel Mounts
    Solar Charge Controls
    Deep Cycle Batteries
    Inverters

Once you get through those you'll have a decent grasp of the basics, then you should start digging through these forums where you will learn even more.

Between the two, you can get quite a good education in solar electric systems.
  • ydydxhg
    Options

I live in New Zealand, Auckland to be precise. a harbor, very strong sun in summer8) but wet and windy in winter.
  • BB.
    Options

The PV Watts website has an entry for Auckland.

You can enter 1 kWatt of solar panels (1,000 watts) and see how much power it will generate for you (defaults = Grid Tied Power).

For off-grid power, enter 0.52 for a derating--and you can see how much an off grid system would generate.

For example, a 1kW GT system will generate:

70-137 kWhrs per month (winter-summer)

A 1kW Off Grid system (0.52 derating) would generate:

46-91 kWhrs per month (winter-summer)

-Bill
  • nissnutt
    nissnutt Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options

Hi guys I am also a newbie.
    Sorry to jump in on this thread .

First I live in Barbados a small Caribbean island blessed/cursed with at least 8 to 11 hours of sunshine. We having been using solar water heaters for over 30 years but have only been given the greenlight for other uses recently. We have one power company whose rates fluctuate with the fuel prices.
    My reason for joining this forum is to figure out wether it is practical and feasable for me to incorporate a solar system into my soon to built home and if so how.
  • BB.
    Options

nissnutt,

Two steps...

1. Understand your load--What is your peak, average power (watts), and your long term average power usage (Watt*Hours or kWatt*Hours per day/month).
    2. Determine if you can cost effectively use Grid Tied Solar Inverter, or if you need to use a Hybrid/Off-Grid solar system.

The best use of your money (after solar thermal) is Grid Tied Solar. Just solar panels + a Grid Tied inverter to feed your home and (if allowed) turn your meter backwards during the day. However, many utilities/countries do not allow Grid Tied (Utility Interactive) Inverters to be connected... First reason is safety (should not be an issue with modern GT inverters). And the second--utilities don't make money by purchasing your electricity at retail, only to sell it back to you, at retail, later that evening.

So, that leaves you with an off-grid implementation that can use the Grid for backup power.

Can be done, but certainly much more expensive than Grid Tied (see US comparisons above), or many times, more expensive than even expensive utility power.

In many countries (including the Caribbean)--you know better than I--that people will use an inverter+batteries for backup power because the local power is unreliable, or is turned off to certain areas during the day (rotating blackouts).

The last issue is solar panels are big, easy to break, and expensive... Would hurricanes threaten your array? Would vandalism and/or theft be a problem?

Working the conservation side, so you use as little power as practical--allows you to keep your system smaller and less expensive too (and, if you use expensive utility power--that usage is reduced too).

Do want to move this to your own thread?

-Bill
  • nissnutt
    Options

Well according to my electricity bills my monthly use ranges from 325 to 340kWh with a daily average of around 11 to 14kWh.
    However, my utility checks the meters bimonthly so in other words every second month my usage is estimated. What I will do is monitor my meter for 48 hours to see if I can get a more honest average.
  • BB.
    Options

nissnutt,

That is certainly close enough to start. Let's use Puerto Rico as being roughly equivalent weather wise:

340kWhr per month or 14kWhrs per day, Grid Tied, 1 kW array, Default Settings:
    [FONT=Fixedsys]Month
    Solar Radiation (kWh/m2/day)
    AC Energy (kWh) 
    Energy Value ($ @ $0.117 per kWhr)
    1      5.16          112        13.33   
    2      5.58          110        13.09   
    3      6.08          132        15.71   
    4      5.97          125        14.88   
    5      5.50          118        14.04   
    6      5.62          118        14.04   
    7      5.75          123        14.64   
    8      5.78          123        14.64   
    9      5.85          121        14.40   
    10     5.40          116        13.80   
    11     4.85          101        12.02   
    12     4.77          102        12.14  
    ========================================= 
    Year   5.53          1400    166.60 [/FONT]

So, assume your solar panels will power your home 9 months out of the year (without utility or generator backup):

That would set January at 112 kWhrs per month for the minimum panel/array size:

345 kWhrs per month/112 kWhrpermonth for 1kW array = 3.1kW array (3,100 watts)

If you wanted to do the same calculation with an off grid (battery based) system, use a derating factor of 0.52 and you will find that January 1kW 0.52 array would give you 74 kWhrs per month.

345 kWh/ 74kWhr = 4.66kW array (4,660 watt array)

Battery wise:

14,000 Watt*Hours * 3days storage * 1/50% max discharge * * 1/85% eff inverter * 1/48 volt bank = 2,060 Amp*Hours @ 48 volt bank

The above numbers are very rough... But give you an idea of how much solar panel + battery you will need.

The above have a bunch of assumptions--all of which can be adjusted to better fit your needs.

Questions?

-Bill
  • nissnutt
    Options

Thanks, no questions with your calculations I understand so far.
    So would it be safe to round up my minimum array required to 4 kWh to accomodate for any extra needs on somedays (doing laundry etc.) ?
  • BB.
    Options

You can define your needs any way you see fit...

The only connections are the ratio between the size of your solar panels and the AH rating of the battery bank. Typically, the Array supplies around 5% to 13% of your battery bank's 20 hour rating. For example, assume 13% charge ratio, 2,060 AH @ 48 volt battery bank:
    • 0.13 * 2,060 AH * 48 volts = 12,900 watts of solar panels
    • 12.9 kW of solar panels (for the battery bank recommended) would be about the maximum you would want to use before adding to battery bank size (to avoid overheating the battery bank and/or just wasting solar panel capacity).
    And the rating of the battery bank vs your loads (too heavy of loads and/or too deep of discharge can damage the battery bank).

And, the above rules of thumb are just to get you "in the ball park" for rough sizing of your system... You can make changes which will affect the overall design requirements:
    • AGM batteries are more efficient (and costly) than flooded cell batteries
    • 1 or 2 axis arrays can gather more electricity, at the cost of a more expensive panel mounting system
    • Less efficient MSW inverters are less costly (but can damage some motors/appliances)
    • Using more of the power during the day (optional loads like pumping, washing cloths, A/C) can allow a smaller battery bank.
    • Using a generator/utility power for "heavy" loads (shop tools, A/C) and use the solar for smaller loads at night (quiet operation time).
    Just a few of the trade offs above that can affect your choices. I certainly do not have all of the answers (I find that I have few of the answers in life--but that is different subject :roll: ).

-Bill
  • ydydxhg
    Options
    dwh wrote: »
    The place to start is by reading all the articles on the Arizona Wind & Sun web site.

Solar Electric Basics
    Solar Panels
    Solar Panel Mounts
    Solar Charge Controls
    Deep Cycle Batteries
    Inverters

Once you get through those you'll have a decent grasp of the basics, then you should start digging through these forums where you will learn even more.

Between the two, you can get quite a good education in solar electric systems.

thanks, i have started reading all these sections.
  • ydydxhg
    Options

i worry about the system during winter time. i mean it rains quite often and even if it doesnt rain, it will be cloudy. it has been cloudy and raining for the past 2 weeks (it's winter in new zealand at the moment). does frequent rain and strong winds damage the panel a lot?
  • icarus
    Options

Rain and wind won't damage a panel at all (assuming the panel is properly mounted for the expected wind loading).

What you have to deal with is keeping the batteries topped up in times of poor sun,, either with grid or generator power.

Tony
  • nissnutt
    Options

Well Bill you have been a great help, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Now i can do some research.
  • nissnutt
    Options
    BB. wrote: »

The last issue is solar panels are big, easy to break, and expensive... Would hurricanes threaten your array? Would vandalism and/or theft be a problem?

-Bill

Yes we are in the hurricane belt but I have never heard many stories of solar panels or in our case water heaters being ripped from roofs, its usuallyvery minimal.
    About the easy to break part, are the panels not covered with tempered glass?
  • BB.
    Options

Yes, they are covered with about 1/8" tempered glass (~3.5mm) (roughly the thickness of ordinary window glass).

I was referring to the fact that a large array is several hundred square feet of "glass roof" (basically like a green house roof--only much more expensive)... Could be wind born debris or human born.

If you don't have any issues with that in your area--then not a problem.

-Bill