XBM and ethernet cable

Options
Hi When I originally installed my XBM i made up a twisted pair of wires manually The run was only three meters and although a pain was inexpensive. For a minimal wire up of the XBM I need the twisted pair for the shunt a negative from the battery and two positive feeds, other wires are required for alarms but not essential. Would any of the available ethernet cables be suitable IE one twisted pair and five wires+ in total

I want to relocate my XBM 12m (40ft) from solar shed to my sun terrace as I am hitting a blank wall trying to get a rs232 bluetooth transciever via the XBM interface to talk to my Vista Laptop

Regards Nigel

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: XBM and ethernet cable

I don't see any problem as long as all the wires in the CAT 5 cable are low voltage/current limited.

I would recommend that you put a set of small/low amperage fuses (perhaps around 1/10 amp) in the wires leading from the current shunt/+voltage points (something that will not burn the wire in the cat 5 cable if they were somehow shorted).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Options

They are currently fused with 1 amp fuses as per Xantrex requirements the wire Im using is telephone wire
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

That should be OK... The wires are probably "rated" to carry about 1/2 amp... And close to 30 amps to "fuse" the wire.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset