connecting a solar array

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
This is very basic but I am doing some research so here goes:

I am looking a solar panels that use MC4 connectors and it appears to me that you can only connect them in series, +ve to -ve.

But I want to run a 12v system and connect a few panels in parellel. How do I do it or am I misunderstanding something?

Comments

• RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Re: connecting a solar array

You use something like this:

http://store.solar-electric.com/mumc4colam.html
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Aha! Thanks for the help.
  • lorelec
    lorelec Solar Expert Posts: 200 ✭✭

If you're handy with a soldering gun, you could always cut the connnectors off, solder the wires together, and heatshrink the connection with some glue-lined waterproof tubing (or something similar). Not as elegant as the adapter method, but cheaper and probably more reliable.

Marc
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

One reason to not cut the connector(s) off of the panels is that, for many vendors, it will invalidate the warranty.

Generally, if you only have a few connections to make up (and don't want to purchase the correct crimping tools)--just get a male/female cable from here, and cut them in half... Use those for your transition connections.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • lorelec
    lorelec Solar Expert Posts: 200 ✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    One reason to not cut the connector(s) off of the panels is that, for many vendors, it will invalidate the warranty.

Sounds like a ploy to sell couplers ;)

Marc
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    lorelec wrote: »
    Sounds like a ploy to sell couplers ;)

Marc

Or a ploy to sell salvaged/returned material as new. ;);)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset