Xantrex ps vs. sw?

Off Grid Mountain Man
Off Grid Mountain Man Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭✭
Hi,

A few questions on Xantrex inverters...

Can someone explain the difference to me, between the Xantrex "sp", and "sw" series? Which is newer? Which is "better"? (I realize this question might be complicated)

I am putting a PV system together, and have found a used Xantrax ps2524 that I am debating purchasing....I already have some 120 watt, 12 volt panels, that I believe I can rig up 8 of them for this 24 volt inverter?

Anyway to figure out what used inverters are worth? Anyway to check if they actually work? ; )

I'm a totally broke guy, looking to get a PV system rigged up.....I have a very knowledgeable friend that lives off of PV who is going to help me rig the system up.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Much appreciated!

AC

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Xantrex ps vs. sw?

hmmmm. i think i can say he hasn't been of much help to you if you have to ask us these types of questions. you should know that these inverters require deep cycle batteries to operate.
    the sw would be newer i would think and has multistage charging.
    what they are worth is hard to say as parts and service may be harder to come by for discontinued stuff.
    only way to know if they work is to connect them up to power something and it may be better to go near the continuous power rating of the inverter for this test. after running something then connect to charge the batteries if not already setup in the proper configuration to do this from the previous test.
    i do gather you are aiming for a sine wave inverter and that is hard to do without money as they are somewhat pricey when new
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Do you mean "PS" as in, "Power Station" or are you referring to the "Pro-Sine" series ? (I "think" there was a Pro Sine 2500 Watt, 24V ProSine ?) Pro Sines are OK but they're not made for off-grid, really.

If it is the Pro-Sine, then they are completely different, except that they are both inverters with built in chargers.

If you mean the Power Station, which I think is what you are referring to, then that is actually a spin off of the SW and came after the SW was designed. We used to call it the "Penta Sine" because it had 5 smaller transformers which allowed it to have a shorter profile of package. They're OK. It may or may not be a grid tie unit. The very early ones were grid tie-able.

boB :D
  • Off Grid Mountain Man

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

This Xantrex ps2524 is "power station" model, not the pro-sine.

I'm off waaaaaay offgrid, so grid tie is not a concern to me with any of my system I am putting together.

I got a shreddin' deal on some 12 volt 120 watt used PV panels, so piecing together the rest of the stuff, hope to finda decent used inverter, and cheapest new batteries.

Here is a link to the exact model of the inverter - http://www.offgridsolar.com/powerstation.html

It was manufactured in 2001. It has had around 7 years of solid use. (?)

Yes, I know and will be going with a set of Deep Cycle batteries. Trojan or simliar.

No way to check it. It is priced at $950, as is, in storage.

Yeah, a gamble, but the question is, do I feel lucky today? ; )

Any more thoughts and or opinions on this inverter welcome and appreciated.

Thanks...AC
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

I would call Xantrex and find out if they will still service it... A seven year old inverter with no parts/repair facility--that may not be great deal.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel

hmmm. 120w pvs sound like the kc120 models that had trouble. kyocera has been repairing them and exchanging them for others that are failing. i'm not sure if this applies to used or not.
  • boB

Well, then again, if this PS2524 has had ~some~ usage from whence it was built, then maybe it's OK ? I have a PS2512 (same model but 12V) and it's been working fine for many years now. Yes, I'm still too lazy to change it out !

These inverter/chargers were fine. Should even be better coming from 2001 after they'd been building them for a while. I don't know what a PC120 is though ?? Does it look the same, Niel ?

How 'bout you offer them, say, $750 and see what they say ? I'm sure it's worth at least that. In fact, I had an offer recently to sell my PS2512 for $950 too. I see them go for way more than that sometimes... Maybe that was a real SW4024 though ?

Only thing I don't care for them for is that they are a bit noisey (buzz) when charging. Other than that, they're not too bad really.
    Especially if you treat it well and don't run it to the max 24 Hrs a day/7 days a week.

boB
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    hmmm. 120w pvs sound like the kc120 models that had trouble. kyocera has been repairing them and exchanging them for others that are failing. I'm not sure if this applies to used or not.

If the panels came from your buddy, he should be able to claim the warranty, otherwise...
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Off Grid Mountain Man

Hi,

The PV panels I picked up used are...(quoting the seller I got 'em from) 'Solarex MSX120's which were made by BP and sold under the
    Solarex brand". Whatever they are, they are mine to live with, or without any issues or problems with them.

The only issue with 'em is they are two panels together on a panel (if that makes sense), and figuring out a mount on my budget is a quandry.

I'm located in a little or no wind site, so don't really need a huge heavy pole mounting system, trying to rig up a custom roof mount - but that is another topic for another day from my this inverter thread. ; )

I agree with the poster that said $750 might be worth it....obviously when you are broke, in rigging up a used PV system with piece-mealed compenents, you have a different perspective on things that someone getting all new top of the line....as most things on the resale market, if you keep your eye out, and pick up this here and that there, it's possible to rig up a PV system at a huge discount from new......

My main question is still how does the "sw" compare to "ps", and which is newer, or better!!?? ; )

Was one an el cheopo version of the other??

Thanks for any and all continued replies!

AC
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Boy that is a tuff one. $950 for a as is where is inverter I would be tempted to go a different route. I don't think the PS series held its value like its older brother the SW. I have sold a bunch of SW's for customers and get around $1200 but that is on a guaranteed working unit.

Try boB's sugestion offer them $750 and see what happens.

Is there any way you could take 2 car batteries and some booster cables with you to see if it turns on at least?
  • Off Grid Mountain Man

$1200 for a guaranteed working similar type Xantrex inverter? Wow, that sounds better than $950, or even $750 for a dusty one in storage that "probably works"....

No way to test this thing with my limited knowledge, and a seller that is selling as is, where is, take it or leave it. Might be a bargain, might not. The problem is the seller knows less about PV that I do, (yikes), so really I don't think he is being dishonest, he just plumb doesn't know what he has. He didn't even know the voltage (even I the PV dummies dummy know if it's called 2524 it's more than likely 24 volts) ; )

But again, if used inverters of this class are in the $1200 range, maybe I need to start looking around with dealers that carry used equipment at times, and get a tested used unit.

Decisions, decisions....

AC
  • niel

from bob,
    " I don't know what a PC120 is though ?? Does it look the same, Niel ?"

nobody said anything about a pc120 and the guy did say,
    "I got a shreddin' deal on some 12 volt 120 watt used PV panels, so piecing......", so i don't know what you are referring to.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

You can get Outback FX2524's in the 1500 range from vendors some of us buy panels from

IMHO, I would NEVER give any money to someone for an untested inverter. They have no value not working, the cost in shipping and repair would exceed the asking price of this unit mentioned.
  • boB
    niel wrote: »
    from bob,
    " I don't know what a PC120 is though ?? Does it look the same, Niel ?"

nobody said anything about a pc120 and the guy did say,
    "I got a shreddin' deal on some 12 volt 120 watt used PV panels, so piecing......", so i don't know what you are referring to.

Nevermind then. My mind and eyes must have been elsewhere.

Yes, you MUST know if the inverter really works or not before you buy it, unless you can be sure you can get your money back.

boB
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Again if the guy is honest and really cares i would think he would allow you to take jumper cables and 2 car batteries and wire it up?

but if not i am with Solar Guppy find a new magnum or outback or something.