power ratings?

Thanks for your help

Gary C

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Different Panels with Different Ratings

Usually, you parallel panels of similar voltage and (if you have an MPPT controller) you put panels of similar current in series.

Roughly, the panel with the lowest Vmp (if parallel connection) or Imp (if series) will limit the maximum power available. As a first guess, panels Vmp/Imp within ~10% should series/parallel fine.

Another issue--if you put a very large panel in parallel with a very small panel--you should put a series protection fuse in the output of the smaller panel.

Panels should have a series fuse rating (something like 2x-3x Isc or a bit less [clarify statement]). If you have lots of panels in parallel (usually more than 2 panel)--each panel should have a series protection fuse to limit current in case there is a short (one panel/wire shorts, the rest of the panels feed can feed current into the short if there is no fusing).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bill,

Please describe as series protection fusing system in a parallel array. I have two seperate arrays,,(2 panels on one, three on the other) feeding a common controller from two home runs. Neither has any fusing between the controller and the panels nor between panels.

Tony
  • BB.
    Options

Not every solar panel spec. (the few I have read thru) list a "series protection fuse)...

Basically, say you have 5 parallel strings. Each capable of Isc output. Say panel string #1 gets a sort in the junction box (or even in the panel itself).

The short will get current from String #1 (the panel itself), plus the other 4 parallel strings.

So, the solution is the put the proper rated Series Protection Fuse in the output leg of each string before it gets paralleled/connected to a combiner box.

The typical Series Protection Fuse is just a bit bigger than Isc (at least for the panels that have a rating)--so for two strings of equal output--series protection fuses are not needed. However, for strings with 3 or more sets of panels in parallel--then a series protection fuse is typically "required" by the panel spec.

From the BP 4175 (175 watt panel) data PDF sheet:

Current at Pmax (Imp) 4.9A
    Short-circuit current (Isc) 5.4A
    Maximum series fuse rating 15A (S, L)

2x Isc = 10.8 amps < 15A fuse rating
    3x Isc = 16.2 amps > 15A fuse rating

Remember, fuse are there to protect wiring and, in this case, probably in the internal wiring connections of the solar panel to ensure that it meets the "UL" ratings to reduce risk of fire.

Fuses are not used to protect equipment from internal/external failures which may cause expensive repairs in the equipment itself (i.e., fuses are for safety, not for equipment reliability).

Clear or Opaque?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

Gary

You will be fine, The wattage you gain from the second panel will be about 50 watts or so. With just two panels no series fuses for each panel will be needed. But you should place one between the panels and the charge controller.
  • icarus
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Not every solar panel spec. (the few I have read thru) list a "series protection fuse)...

Basically, say you have 5 parallel strings. Each capable of Isc output. Say panel string #1 gets a sort in the junction box (or even in the panel itself).

The short will get current from String #1 (the panel itself), plus the other 4 parallel strings.

So, the solution is the put the proper rated Series Protection Fuse in the output leg of each string before it gets paralleled/connected to a combiner box.

The typical Series Protection Fuse is just a bit bigger than Isc (at least for the panels that have a rating)--so for two strings of equal output--series protection fuses are not needed. However, for strings with 3 or more sets of panels in parallel--then a series protection fuse is typically "required" by the panel spec.

From the BP 4175 (175 watt panel) data PDF sheet:

2x Isc = 10.8 amps < 15A fuse rating
    3x Isc = 16.2 amps > 15A fuse rating

Remember, fuse are there to protect wiring and, in this case, probably in the internal wiring connections of the solar panel to ensure that it meets the "UL" ratings to reduce risk of fire.

Fuses are not used to protect equipment from internal/external failures which may cause expensive repairs in the equipment itself (i.e., fuses are for safety, not for equipment reliability).

Clear or Opaque?

-Bill

So Bill,,

If I am reading you correctly,,, which may not be the case,,,

If I have 5 panels (I do!) on two different parallel strings,,, each string on a home run, and let's say that string #1 puts out 10 amps (2 panels) String #2 puts out 15 amps (3 panels). What you are saying is that I should have a 6 amp fuse BETWEEN every
    panel, AND a 20 amp between the panels and the junction of their home runs at the controller?

I recall (perhaps not clearly) a conversation we had on this site about the requirement of a fusing small arrays as a safety issue. My recollection of that thread was that there was no safety reason that the panels needed to be fused between the panels and the controller.

Of course my major concern is having a safe installation (from fire) especially while the system is unattended.

Now you have me confused,,, an easy thing to do I confess.

Tony
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i agree that each parallel pv or series strings of pvs should be fused, but individual pvs in a string, no. think of them in terms of batteries and if one shorts out or you connect it backwards as one individual in the past had done with his pv. a blocking diode will not stop the short circuit current or the excessive current flows from occuring from polarity reversal. fuses normally protect the wiring and this is true in this scenario, but the pvs may also be protected from high damaging currents in the case of polarity reversal.
  • icarus
    Options

Niel,

So then,, if my entire string is fuse I should be good,,,right?

Tony
  • BB.
    Options
    icarus wrote: »
    So Bill,,

If I am reading you correctly,,, which may not be the case,,,

I don't think you are following me yet--but your case would be confusing because it is not a symmetrical system. But--never fear--I can make up an answer that will fit. :p
    If I have 5 panels (I do!) on two different parallel strings,,, each string on a home run, and let's say that string #1 puts out 10 amps (2 panels) String #2 puts out 15 amps (3 panels). What you are saying is that I should have a 6 amp fuse BETWEEN every
    panel, AND a 20 amp between the panels and the junction of their home runs at the controller?
    We can go through, what I think, is the proper thought processes to analyze the system topology and possible current sources and failure modes. Note, I am using Imp (measured) but should probably using Isc--but you did not give me those numbers--but Isc~1.1*Imp (at least for the BP panel)--so it is not a big difference to worry about.

String #1. 10 amp output (no series fuses listed in spec.)... estimate that:

2x 10 amp fuse = 20 amp would be both safe for panels and would not trip in normal usage
    3x 10 amp fuse = 30 amps -- and I would round down from that fuse

20A=<XX fuse<30A -- so 20 to 25 amp fusing/breaker in series with string #1 would be appropriate.

Double check wire size--12-14 AWG wire would be the minimum gauge wire to run with a 20 amp fuse.

String #2. 15 amps (no series fuses listed in spec.)... estimate:

2x 15 amp fuse = 30 amp
    3x 15 amp fuse = 45 amp

30a=<xx fuse<45 amp

A 30 amp fuse should be fine in series with string #2... Minimum wire gauge should be ~10 AWG.

Now, look at a short in string #1. We have the 10 amps (Isc~11 amps) going into the short, and we have the rest of the energy from the parallel strings coming into through a 20 amp fuse. If there were 2 or more additional strings whose power added up to more than 20 amps--then the fuse would pop and protect the wiring/fire safety of the 10 amp panels in string #1.

In your case, the amount of current from string #2 is only 15 amps (or 1.25*15A=18.75amps with NEC safety margin)--so a 20 amp fuse is redundant in this case. But we are not done with the analysis yet.

And for string #2, there is no source(s) available that is > 30 amps--so its fuse is also redundant in this case. But--we are still not done yet.

Now--there is the question of back-feed through the controller... A typical GT inverter (isolated supply) cannot back-feed in a single fault mode ("guaranteed" by "UL"/Spec./Requirements -- at least for Xantrex's designs).

But you have an off-grid controller--so lets assume that it is fused between the controller and the battery as (assuming is MPPT controller with 25 amp maximum output) and the controller is not "double isolated--such as would be in a GT type inverter--a single fault can short between Batt + and PV + (I am guessing here--but I think I am correct that a typical off-grid MPPT/PWM controller may assume to be able to fault shorted--so I will continue with this assumption through this example):

25 amp * 1.25 = 31.25 amps or 30 amp fuse controller/battery fuse

Lets assume that this controller, if an internal FET/inductor/etc. failed shorted, there would now be 30 amps available from the battery out to the array.

So, now the wiring from the controller to the solar panel combiner box/junction would have 30 amps available. And therefore the wiring must meet a minimum of 30 amps (10 AWG per NEC?--other specs. may allow smaller awg wire).

At the combiner box, there is 30 amps available--that is certainly able to pop the 20 amp fuse on String #1, and may or may not pop the fuse on String #2 (assuming both the controller had an BAT output to PV input short, and one of the panels had a short to ground too).

But, notice that we may have power from both the faulted controller and string #1... So the total current available to string #2:

30 amps (controller fault) + Isc of 11 amps of String #2 = 41 amps

Or more than enough current to pop String #2's 30 amp protection fuse.

So, string #1 fuse would still be appropriate and string #2 fuse would still be needed in this case too because of the controller+string #1 available current.

Anyway, that is how I would look at your setup. My analysis may or or may not meet the NEC version of codes (1.25x 1 or 1.25x1.25 double derating, etc.)--but the idea is to be safe--and the reasonable failure modes (one fault and the consequences--Designs do not need to take into "double faults"--i.e., both the device and the fuse/breaker fail shorted).
    I recall (perhaps not clearly) a conversation we had on this site about the requirement of a fusing small arrays as a safety issue. My recollection of that thread was that there was no safety reason that the panels needed to be fused between the panels and the controller.

Of course my major concern is having a safe installation (from fire) especially while the system is unattended.

Now you have me confused,,, an easy thing to do I confess.
    To be clear--end recommendations (based on my assumptions above)

• 30 amp fuse between controller Batt + and battery bank (or whatever your manual says)
    • 20 amp fuse in string #1
    • 30 amp fuse in string #2
    • No fuse required from Controller PV input to PV Combiner Box
    You can use slight larger fuses (round up to stand fuse size and wire gauge). And you can use smaller fuses--with the risk of false tripping (running a fuse at 1/1.25 or 80% rated current is pretty close to trip point and I would not go any closer--an a bit farther is better--fuses/breakers are designed to be "unreliable" -- i.e., designed to open if there is a problem).

Above fuse recommendations require that wire at each fuse be capable of handling rated (fused) current flow (and obviously, the controller to battery rated current * 1.25 capacity too).

Almost confused myself--and if you have/use real Isc or Series Fuse Rating instead of my guesses--that would only be better.

Also, I had myself convinced that you would not need series fuses for string #1 or #2 -- until I went through the process and realized that a faulted Off-Grid controller can (could?) also back-feed into the solar panel string (something that a double isolated, which is required by code, GT inverter cannot do by design).

I am sure that Solar Guppy and/or Jim/Crewzer (or others) may find some holes and/or suggested improvements in my analysis -- but that is how I would start.

-Bill

PS: There is only one fuse required per panel string--we are not going to assume that this is a fault that can bypass a fuse and require a fuse per panel (three panels in series, three fuses). One fuse is enough to protect one series string.
  • icarus
    Options

Bill,,, you're making my head spin,,, I will read and try to absorb,,, and comment in the A.M!

For the record,,, I have a 30 amp in line fuse on the positive lead at the battery. #4 stranded copper wire. This feeds a 30 amp Square D QO breaker, through the breaker to the controller, #4 stranded. At the controller the two home runs are secured with a crimp fitting in a j-box and spit to feed the two arrays. These two home runs are both #4 stranded. (Each about 20' total length. At the edge of the building is a Anderson Connector. At the front of the building the three panels feed into this Anderson with a couple of "Y" cords I made up,, the final wiring to the panel J-box is #10 solid copper (I didn't have any stranded).

On the roof, the two panels come from the one panel J-box into the other j-box, and then joining the #4 stranded. There are no fuses or blocking diodes other than the ones built into the panels themselves.

So the 20 amp and 30 amp string fuses,,, would they go at the panel,,, or at the beginning of the wire run? I think in the previous (mostly forgotten conversation) we were worried about battery current burning up the wire,, not Pv current,,, than would assume that the fuse should be at the j-box where the strings connect. (Fairly easy to do,,, and out of the weather)
    Hope that helps,

Tony
  • BB.
    Options
    icarus wrote: »
    On the roof, the two panels come from the one panel J-box into the other j-box, and then joining the #4 stranded. There are no fuses or blocking diodes other than the ones built into the panels themselves.

So the 20 amp and 30 amp string fuses,,, would they go at the panel,,, or at the beginning of the wire run? I think in the previous (mostly forgotten conversation) we were worried about battery current burning up the wire,, not Pv current,,, than would assume that the fuse should be at the j-box where the strings connect. (Fairly easy to do,,, and out of the weather)

Tony,

I am not 100% sure I understand... Is String #1 home run back to the Controller PV connections, and String #2 is home run back to the controller connections?

Or is String #1 run (on 10 awg or what ever wire) run x feet to a combiner j box. And String 2 (on 10 awg or whatever) run y feet to the same combiner j box? Then every thing comes back on one (or is it two) pair of #4 wire back to the controller?

Stranded or solid does not matter with DC or low frequency short AC runs. What ever terminates well and is easy to handle for you (assuming no flexing like a tracker or moveable panel array on ice--then a 10 awg sun rated shop cord would probably be better in the long term).

Lets see if I can do some ASCII pictures:
    [FONT=Fixedsys]
      4AWG  30A                 4  AWG   20A 10 AWG
    Batt +==*~*==[controller]============*~*------ String #1+
                                       | 30A
                                       ==*~*------ String #2+

Batt -=======[controller]===========-----------String #1-
                                       |
                                        -----------String #2-[/FONT] 

Hopefully, the drawing comes out properly aligned on your computer screen.

But, look at each point above---Every wire is protected from a maximum current flow (not to exceed its rating) by a fuse.

Note, that these wires are assumed to have current sources on both ends.

One short in the middle (say 30 amps from the "left" and 30 amps from the "right") will result in 30 amps at the short--but each path in the wiring only has 30 amps in it--so it is "safe".

Now, the alternate wiring (A):
    [FONT=Fixedsys]
      4AWG     30A                  4 AWG   20A 10 AWG
    Batt +=====*~*===[controller]===========*~*-- String #1+
                                |           30A
                                ============*~*-- String #2+

Batt -===========[controller]===============--String #1-
                                |
                                ================--String #2-[/FONT] 

And alternate fuse location for PV runs (B):
    [FONT=Fixedsys]
               30A                 20A[/FONT][FONT=Fixedsys] 4 AWG   10 AWG
    Batt +=====*~*===[controller]==*~*============-- String #1+
                                 | 30A
                                 ==*~*============-- String #2+

Batt -===========[controller]==================--String #1-
                                 |
                                 ==================--String #2-[/FONT] 

Either (A) or (B) above is an OK location for the 20/30 amp PV fuses... It is perfectly OK to "Over fuse" a 4 awg wire or put the fuse out at the end at the 4 AWG to 10 AWG transition. The strings max current (by design Isc) is handled by either wire, and the controller+other string excess current is protected by either fuse location.

With solar systems, "extra heavy wire" is not only a good thing for lower line loss/voltage drops... It is also good for "fusing"... A XXX feet of 14 AWG wire may have so much voltage drop that it could not pop a 15 amp fuse.

However, a X AWG that is XXX feet long can still pop a 15 amp fuse handily. (one of the design requirements is to make sure that there is low enough resistance that a short will still cause a fuse to pop--and not cause the entire run of wire to "cook"--and don't make me look up real numbers and do the calculations tonight -- ;)).

-Bill
  • niel
    Options

actually you're both confusing me.:confused: if you have fusing in the pvs then you don't need to keep duplicating them and only 1 fuse and 1 blocking diode is needed per series string. if the pvs are in an inconvenient place should a fuse blow, this can and should be relocated before it is to be combined with any other strings. the extra fuses can add extra series resistance and can fail as any fuse can, usually at the worst time. extra blocking diodes will add more voltage drops than is necessary as well.
  • icarus
    Options

Question is,,, what constitutes a string? Using a different conductor wire from the panel(s) almost to the controller? Does the fuse/breaker need to be before (battery side) or after (PV) side of the controller?

Tony

Sorry to confuse.
  • BB.
    Options

My definition for "String" in this case is a series connection of solar panels. Whether two or 10+ panels in series--one string.

By the way, a set of 5 parallel panels is really 5 series strings of one panel each connected in parallel. Basically, each "branch" of unique current flow is a "string" that needs to be evaluated for fuse/wire size.

When looking at the fusing for a "string"--and if there is mixed wire gauges/panel ratings--fusing shall be sized based on the smallest gauge/lowest and Isc/Series Fuse Rating in the string (whichever gives the smallest/lowest rating).

If you want, try using <code> </code> tags and set the font to FixedSys--seems to work well for me to make ASCII drawings.

-Bill

PS: I am not recommending any blocking diodes except for Off-Grid system that don't have a controller.

Diodes are not considered to be intrinsically safe as they have failure modes that include a short. In system design--if I needed a blocking diode to prevent bad things (say overcharging a backup clock battery on a computer mother board from the 5 volt DC bus)--I would have to use "two devices" to redundantly limit/prevent charging current such as:
    • two diodes in series
    • two resistors in series
    • one diode and one resistor in series
  • niel
    Options

fuses need to be in each string before being combined or fed into the controller, period. even 1 pv should be fused, but add another in parallel is when another fuse needs to be on each paralleled pv or paralleled string of pvs. a string is 2 or more pvs in series. some controllers can accommodate 2 series strings or 2 paralleled pv inputs without an external combiner, but each of those inputs still needs to be fused.
    now in reference to the blocking diodes, i was not mandating that there be 1 blocking diode in every series string, but that there should be no more than 1 in any series string because many pvs have blocking diodes inside that need bypassed when it can be done in cases like this as the voltage drops from them are additive. some may not be accessible and you can't do much in a case like that.
    picture a 5a string of 10pvs with blocking diodes on each one of them outputting let's say 260vdc total. each diode, if only dropping 1/2v, would represent 5v dropped overall so the output voltage really can and should be 265v in this case and at 5a that 5v is 25w of power lost to the diodes.
    any resistances that show up in using too many fuses can also add to the increases in voltage drops and further power losses.
    the output of a cc should be fused regardless of how many fused pv inputs are going to the cc.
  • icarus
    Options

Ok smart guys,,, you've got my head spinning wildly,,,

Here is a simple diagram of my system. Tell me what I need to add in the way of fuses,,, please!

Tony

PS.The one thing that I forgot on the drawing is a 30 amp fuse at the battery,,, protecting the wire between the battery and the CC. The wire sizes are all #4 except after the Andersons to the panels,,, that is #10
  • BB.
    Options

Tony,

Are those little 2/3 panel "wingy things" in series or parallel?

-Bill
  • icarus
    Options

All the panels are 12vdc (nom) panels,,, wired in parallel.

Tony

I'm not sure what you are calling "wingy thing"
  • BB.
    Options

Just being silly--the drawing looked a bit like a lopsided dragon fly to me...

In the end, each panel should have an appropriately rated fuse (based on the panel's spec. for Series Rated Fuse or on ~2xIsc rating, or ~2.2xImp).

In your case, panel wise, you have 5 strings (one panel each string) and you will be protecting each panel/panel wire with a fuse.

The main wire (4 AWG) is heavy enough to be protected by the 30 amp fuse on the battery side and other smaller fuses/limited current from the panels.

Would 5 fuses on 5 panels be overkill--seems like it--but it is the price you pay for reducing risk.

-Bill
  • n3qik
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Would 5 fuses on 5 panels be overkill--seems like it--but it is the price you pay for reducing risk.

No, not when you have 7 panels with 7 fuses, plus a fuse on the wind mill like I have.

Tony
    When it is time to rework/repair your system. You should plan on placing a single combiner box at ground level to run all the panels into. This makes testing each panel a lot easier. Plus, with a 12v, or any system, the less wire splices the better.
  • icarus
    Options

Ken,,

That is essentially what I have. The 2 panel string is on the roof,, feed down through the wall. The 3 panel string is on the front wall,, feeds under the floor. They join in the utility room in a J-box just before the controller. Each panel is wired with an Anderson connector so that I can plug in or move any given panel at any time without having to worry about disrupting the hardwiring,, or plugging something in reverse polarity.

Tony
  • n3qik
    Options

Good, not what I assumed from the drawing.